*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Thank you. I picked it up on Newegg. Perhaps I can now use both of my 60mm radiators. LOL

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Next time Best Buy has a 9900K as one of its daily deals, I may pick one up. I can at least hold onto it until we see how Alder Lake pans out.

Papusan and Ashtrix like this.
  3. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I was able to sort it out on my brother's GB B550, but the x570 runs into problems for very large, sustained file transfers. Eventually it will just slow down and stall at 0% with no warnings or errors. Sometimes it will stall on smaller transfers but not as frequently or consistently. You can unplug and plug it back in and it will usually pick right back up from where you left off.

For critical files, I now copy them over to the desktop and work with them natively then copy them back and subsequently to the 2-3 backups too.

For a few of the large databases I was working on (VBA, VC), I ended up just using my P870TM1.

I'm waiting on the MSI agesa bios update as .2 is supposed to address and resolve the issue. I already have my 11700k (it arrived Monday) and my motherboard is supposed to be ready for pickup today. If it doesn't get resolved, I'll switch back to Intel and sell the Golden 5800x and MB. I don't have time to muck about with this issue as I do use my USB ports extensively. I've tried all the tricks, rollbacks, tried Auto, gen 3 only, gen 4 only, numerous devices, each port.

What works is the 2.0 only ports or a 2.0 device on 3.0 and with the size of the external files I work with (or even just in general), that isn't going to cut it for me. Type-C port also suffers the same fate as the A ports.

Outside of that, I'm generally happy with the 5800x + MSI x570 Tomahawk. Temps are great, performance is righteous.

4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Ah I see, yes that would be quite the Achilles heel to put up with, in fact if I faced a similar scenario I may jump ship. On my general all-purpose machine I absolutely refuse to tailor my activities, if it can game, I'm happy. If it can game but not work then I'm regretting the decisions that led to that point lol.

This only applies to my desktop though, everything else tends to have specific roles / functions.

Hopefully next year sometime the 5800x will come down in price, until then I have androidx86 and a Dell precision 7810 to tinker with. Speaking of which I came across a m6800 precision, going to test it with my 4980hq tomorrow and see how it behaves

Mr. Fox, Papusan and electrosoft like this.
  5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I was reading on the WHEA errors and other issues at OCN 75 page thread under AMD Motherboard section, multiple users reporting Curve Optimization issues and general instability on the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, people are RMAing the CPUs (wtf?) this on top of the USB 3.0 issues, will wait for a few more weeks and pull the damn trigger for Intel, now If I want to go air and get 8x SATA connections I will have to pay more and get Maximus XIII Apex Z590, EVGA Z590 Dark is an amazing board but the 90 degree rotation won't help me, will wait on what this new AGESA 1.2.0.2 will provide for the X570 and Zen 3 platform as a whole. Do not want to waste time to beat around the bush for this all CCD lottery and other unknown things USB is very important for me as well, esp when the HW itself is scarce. I'm even more afraid if I run Win7 on X570 platform with the INF mod drivers for chipset and all, the stability and performance is even more hazy.

Sad part is many people like Der8aur, TPU, Optimum Tech and Luumi also mention RKL has got OC downgraded by a lot by Intel, I think this is on their Marketing and Engg teams paired with the 10nm disaster and the idiotic margin with investor pressure (it still is, Ice Lake Xeon), they should have simply axed that iGPU and put better use of that precious die space for better caching changes for the uArch for improving performance.

Only silver lining thing I saw was that new i9 exclusive only Adaptive boost which helps the loss of OC headroom with automatic boost behavior, shame on Intel for reducing the free performance and making the power consumption skyrocket...they could have even released a 10900K chip with Gen 4 upgrade by removing that iGPU trash, but Intel want that Wafer yields for Xeon (in 2021 they got 10nm rolling for Xeon up until now the 14nm was always at the peak) and their HCC/XCC business retooling everything for the new layout means tons of work, which they already did with backport, but they could have done this since 9900K.. digressed way lot now so I will end it here.

Apparently there's increased power consumption from new Gear system as well.

Very nice, I also bought one !! But I don't have any parts to install into it lol.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    electrosoft, Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The whole PC tech landscape is pretty dismal right now. Poor availability, asinine prices, all sorts of stupid bugs, crappy QC. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy in some respects that older is better and newer is not. It is to the point now that it seems like a really stupid idea to be excited about anything popularly regarded as cutting edge. You can't buy what you want because it is either not available at any price, or it is extremely overpriced. If and when you can buy it, if close your eyes, unplug your brain and bite the bullet on the idiotic prices, having that overpriced thrill turn to crap because of lousy firmware, hardware defects and random bugs is just way beyond sucky.

7. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  8. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    WOW. My Lian Li O11D XL case, I just purchased yesterday and was given an estimated delivery date of 4/14, is out for delivery today. I paid for standard shipping. Not sure why Newegg overnight it. It came from their CA warehouse. It couldn't have been cheap.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    WOW is certainly an appropriate response to that. Congrats. I can hardly wait for your photos and/or video to be shared with us.

electrosoft, Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Right on target. 25% less cores do not make it an i9. Intel should also never have marked its 8 cores mobile as i9. But I expect that the higher numbers just mean they can continue charge more for less.

Btw. Asus behave (act) exactly as Dell Alienware https://wccftech.com/asus-lacking-b...bar-support-for-intel-z390-z370-motherboards/

Once again, the fact that others are doing it regardless of some of these boards being three years old shows that ASUS doesn't care about its previous customers despite their products costing a hefty premium over other brands. ASUS has recently lost its market share to ASRock in Japan and it looks like this kind of support for its PC-centric products isn't going to help them at all.

Edit. Asus have changed mind after angry voices from customers. Yeah, they know Alder lake comes with new socket and hope their customers will come back when that time comes. Lose even more customers with this sort of "Dell trickery" will never pay off. Only Dell is able to do that.

Asus provides its Z370 and Z390 motherboards with support for Resizable BAR
    After angry voices from customers, the company chooses to start up the BIOS development for older motherboards and gives them support for the performance-enhancing function Resizable BAR.

In a statement to SweClockers, Asus now announces that they will resume BIOS development for their motherboards with the Z390 and Z370 control circuits, where the goal will then be specifically to implement support for Resizable BAR in these. Work on this has already begun and the hope is that the new BIOS versions will roll out by the end of April.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    Mr. Fox, Ashtrix and Rage Set like this.