*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    You sometimes have to show the Mrs. how the blood letting has been minimized or even reversed to keep the kingdom happy. :D

Now you know why first hand why they are selling like hotcakes.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    True on both comments. But, I'd still like to see crypto implode and become worthless. To think that something that doesn't actually exist and is based on nothing has value is flawed, and to have imaginary currency populate a virtual "wallet" (mine or anyone else's) for doing nothing meaningful is just messed up. But, I can see where this conceptually applies to so many things it is scary. We live in a really screwed-up world with a lot of irrational people, LOL.

Even with an insanely powerful GPU like the 3090, crypto-mining is a slow process. The imaginary money isn't generated in great quantity very fast and if you have enough hardware to actually make it happen quickly it will take a long time to realize a profit because the equipment is so inexpensive. If you already have it for another purpose that's one thing (like in my case) but acquiring the equipment for the sole purpose of mining doesn't seem like an intelligent thought process has taken place. It seems more like a nefarious endeavor for someone chasing a get rich by doing nothing scheme, which is actually a sadly common mentality in today's world.

Clamibot, Papusan and electrosoft like this.
  3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To be fair, all money is imaginary. Any medium can be used as currency, and it's only worth what everyone agrees it's worth. We could use wooden blocks as currency if everyone agreed they had value. Inversely, gold would be worthless if nobody put value in it, which would be ideal since it's much better utilized as a material for the construction of wires in electronics than being wasted on making jewlery and the like.

I will wholeheartedly agree with you on the majority of your points though. The get rich quick mentality is quite dangerous, and it's stupid to pursue. Nobody is going to make a million dollars overnight. Even if you manage to from some stroke of extreme good fortune, you'll also most likely spend it all pretty quick.

I'll admit i'm in the crypto space as well to make some moolah, but I have a long term outlook on the scale of 4-8 years. It's silly for anyone to think they can make big bucks from investing a small amount of money for only a year. It can happen, but I'd say the risk involved is too great, and such opportunities are rare.

The mining craze makes it difficult for anyone who isn't a miner to get parts, which causes everyone a massive headache (except for the miners of course) and cause prices on hardware to go crazy high. People really need to temper their expectations. This is really the only thing I dislike about cryptocurrencies: it causes everyone to go wild. That's more of a people problem though rather than an inherent problem with cryptocurrencies.

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wise choice! Have you worked out how long you'll have to mine for to pay off the GPU (incl electricity costs)? I'm still in a queue for a 3080 at the following UK retailer, but like the company rep (named Gibbo) says it looks like noone's really gonna get a GPU in 2021!
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34631013/

I'm gonna hang on & wait to see what will eventually be offered to me.....as it stands I don't really need a 3080 and I'm willing to hold out with my GTX 1070 that is actually probably worth more now than when I bought it! Nothing above a 1050ti really available for purchase in the UK at the moment. Yeah, so I'm just gonna see what the retailer eventually offers me....I may decline and get a refund instead at that point.....but seems crazy that new launches like 3080ti may happen in the current climate when customers can't even get the current cards that have been released. Tech world is on hold.....nothing happening.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It is interesting that mining performance of the 3090 is about double that of the 2080 Ti. System RAM speed also has a very obvious benefit in mining.

No I have not because that was never the intent, merely a potentially nice side benefit that was never factored into the purchase decision. However, I did check the electricity cost the first two days with all three systems running 24/7 and the added electricity wasn't more than a few bucks per day, with earnings about 4 times greater. I wanted to be sure the benefit was actually worth the hassle, wear and tear. I am still wrestling with whether or not it is worth the trouble. In some ways it doesn't really feel like it is.
    Yes everything relating to PC tech is a mess right now. There is not much too look forward to unless you enjoy frustration and getting screwed financially. It is nearly impossible to purchase desirable components due to poor availability of everything. Even the undesirable mainstream consumer parts that are of little or no interest are scarce.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Push Mrs. Fox further on the $$$$ income and maybe she will say it's okey if you buy a few more 3090 cards. And it don't need to be K|ngp|n cards for mining:D Buy the cheapest 3090 cards you can afford(if you find some at prices you/she can accept) and put those on water:p Tell her that more cards is equal much better income, LOOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Ummm...
    No.

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thankyou! :D

jc_denton and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hope it takes a s**, just so this guy (idiot) takes it in the shorts!

10. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations: