*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    See also this if the rumors is correct.

Radeon RX 6700 XT would have a starting price of 479 USD and see better availability guru3d.com

[​IMG]
    You can expect AMD to announce the Radeon RX 6700 XT on March 3 with a starting price between 479 and 499 dollars for the reference models.

The base model is thought to outperform GeForce RTX 2080 Super, and would be roughly comparable to the RTX 3060 Ti which costs $399. Aka pay more for about same performance. Great deal:) Yeah, I talk about MSRP and not the Price gouging.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-pricing-index
    Meanwhile, Nvidia just announced that it made "$100 to $300 million" in estimated sales to cryptocurrency miners just in its last quarter. Let's be honest: It was probably a lot higher. Actually, that was for Q4 2020, so perhaps not, but miner sales in Q1 2021 probably account for at least half of all GPUs sold.

Rage Set, Clamibot and ajc9988 like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    upload_2021-3-1_16-46-33.png
    upload_2021-3-1_16-47-20.png
    upload_2021-3-1_16-48-15.png

https://www.techspot.com/review/2160-amd-radeon-6900-xt/

Granted that was day one, 18 games review by Hardware Unboxed. But, if dropping money on a card like this, you are likely targeting 4K, 1440P at lowest. So, at that point, the 3080 is better value overall and 3090 is king of the hill.

It's actually synthetics that have the cards closer. Also, I'm sure it also changes based on games selected, but this is not that bad of a list.

AMD's GPUs are powerhouses for traditional rasterization. They are a letdown in two ways: 1) memory bandwidth/cache, and 2) overclocking.

First, AMD went with slower memory bandwidth with a more limited bus. Their memory bandwidth is GDDR6 non-x with the equivalent of 8 chips present, meaning that the 10-12 chips for the 3080 and 3090 have a wider bus BEFORE we even mention the speed the VRAM is working at. Now, their cache system is better than Nvidia's, which makes up for the lower bandwidth issues at 1080 and 1440p. But it runs out of steam at 4K, which is what allows Nvidia's high end cards with better memory bandwidth to rule the roost, so to speak, on the high end.

Oddly enough, LTT did a comparison of Doom Eternal at 8k with the 6900 XT and 3090. AMD actually at times provided less tearing, even though they had the lower frame rate. Shocked them as well. If anything, I would say that shows how important a good cache system can be, while at the same time saying that is one example on vulkan on a highly optimized game that cannot be extrapolated to any other situation.

Second is overclocking. AMD capped their cards so that the 6900 XT IS LIMITED TO 3000MHz. That's right. On air and water, we saw these cards already in the 2700s by reviewers. Some have wondered if AMD has a clock limit at 3GHz. If so, they better fix that for their next cards. SERIOUSLY! If there was no cap, these cards would be throwing up numbers in the 3000MHz range, thereby really stomping out some scores. But, because these cards have the limit, no reason to go cold. If you have no reason to go cold, you have no reason as an XOC to buy the card. There goes the majority of who you would sell those cards to.

But, to the point frequency is higher, that is TSMC vs Samsung. Just like we used to say that about CPUs with AMD and Intel, which was really a GF vs Intel process thing. Now, we see TSMC vs Intel and TSMC is really closing in on Intel on frequency (still behind, but still very nice). But it isn't just process, but also uarch that can effect frequency on a manufacturing node. Different discussion, though.

Other than that, I definitely agree with you. These cards are all good, and good luck trying to get one. Nvidia is still the better buy, but they also are now scared (something we have not seen from Nvidia in awhile).

Next year, Lovelace will add like 70% more cuda cores, so a good uplift, while rumors now have it that Nvidia is going back to TSMC and going to be on 5nm. AMD next year is rumored to have multi-chip GPUs, with one being 2x80CUs stuck together (think of 6900 XT times 2, plus IPC increases from changes to the dies, minus the latency impact of an I/O die or interposer; they are targeting 2.25x the performance of the 6900 XT). Nvidia will do multi-chip the generation after Lovelace with Hopper (rumored around 2024, unless they pull it in). So if you cannot get the current gen cards, don't worry too much. Next year (also when supply is rumored to finally catch up), we could see another huge jump in performance that will make this look like the Kepler/Maxwell time frame, while RDNA3/4 and Nvidia Hopper will look more like Pascal.

Another rumor has it that Nvidia might be adopting some aspects of the way AMD did RDNA2 for the rasterization performance. If Nvidia can take the best of the design and make it work with their own design, Nvidia may just have another jump in traditional rasterization as well.

3. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    So I won the ability to buy a combo 5900X/Enermax AIO 240 for 650. If I combine that with the 3060 that is coming soon, I think that would be an interesting gaming rig for someone. So do I buy it and build a "low end" gaming rig and try to sell it.

Papusan and electrosoft like this.
  4. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I think sometimes we're jaded because that combo, especially at 1080 and even for a lot of 1440, is more than fine especially with that 5900x. I see plenty of low/mid build videos on YT and they put up very good performance relatively speaking. I think even Linus did a video showing how even the most popular / older hardware is still very capable if you're willing to compromise on settings. I think it was either an Ivy Bridge or Haswell system he used and a 1060. My daughter and her fiance still game on 970m GPUs and are more than happy. The only reason I upgraded his from an 870m was because he started playing Final Fantasy and it hit a hard wall with that GPU but with the 970m @ 1080 he is more than happy. Amongst close friends, one is a tech nut that puts me to shame but the rest? Two have 3070's which are more than enough and after that it quickly regresses to 800, 900 and 1000 class systems.

Either way, congrats on winning the shuffle! I lost as always :mad:

tl;dr: Yes :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  5. electrosoft

Reputations:

Here was a more recent chart from techpowerup as they reviewed the MSI Trio X 6900xt a few weeks back. Everything still looks about the same @ 4k from what you posted.

AMD brought the heat with rasterization this go around to at least be very competitive and depending on games played outright win. I still wouldn't pick AMD as my main GPU though this time around. I wouldn't mind setting one up in this AMD buildout just to really compare/contrast especially in WoW. I definitely plan to unhinge the 3090 from the Phanteks build to give it a whirl in the 5800x build.

average-fps_3840-2160.png

Papusan, Rage Set and ajc9988 like this.
  6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I was hoping for a 3080 for 4k performance. As soon as the 6800XT had cards mainly at the $800 mark or higher, it just didn't make any sense.

Now I'd still buy one at MSRP. I might even accept one for around $725. It isn't preferred, but I'd take msrp, water cool it, and be happy. But the 6800XT I think is locked to 2800MHz. That means, considering what air coolers achieved, this card could be able to sit at the cap with a chiller or really good water cooling.

But, if i don't find a card somewhat soon, I'll just wait and instead do a 5.1 system in another room. After all, why not pick up some bookshelf speakers on sale, a center, a sub, and a receiver. If i have to spend $1K somewhere and I can't enjoy good graphics, at least I can get some decent sound and use my calibration mic. (One of my hobbies is calibrating displays and sounds systems; I'm good at displays and have an i1 pro 2 spectro and i1 display pro (i1D3) colorimeter, but could use extra experience playing with more speakers and sound equipment).

Edit: started pricing stereo equipment and already North of $1k by hundreds. Lol.

Like $1200 for a Sony Dolby atmos. $1600 for a klipsch. And more work to find the best value speakers for each price point.

But $1600 really is entry for a decent sounding system.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Robbo99999, Convel, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    GRAPHICS CARD RANKING 2021GPU comparison with GeForce RTX and Radeon RX for March computerbase.com | March 2, 2021

Which graphics card should I buy? For March 2021 there are new recommendations for Nvidia GeForce RTX and AMD Radeon RX from entry-level to high-end.

Cooler Master ML360 Sub-Zero Review: Frigid Temps for LGA1200 tomshardware.com | Today

Sub-ambient liquid cooling…How low can you go?

3 of 5 stars
    upload_2021-3-2_18-43-35.png

Clearly the ML360 Sub-Zero is aimed more at those looking to hit peak clocks on single cores for bursty tasks than those looking for sustained cooling on thread-heavy workloads.

Talon, electrosoft, Clamibot and 2 others like this.
  8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    So, could have bought a ZOTAC 3080 AMP holo tonight. But after looking at the $970 price tag, plus shipping and tax, I could not bring myself to pull the trigger. $1100 is a bit much for that card. But the fact I had it in my cart and had enough time to look a price up on ebay felt good.

9. electrosoft

Reputations:
    Shuffle is up again, but the selection is even poorer than last time.

Oodles of 3060's, some 3070's, 6800 for 939 (!) and MSI again with the 6800xt for $1149.

I entered for the lowest priced EVGA 3060 @ 399.99 again as that is my ultimate price point to make reselling the wife's 1060 6GB an at most $150 upgrade. I'd much prefer the $329 EVGA though (who wouldn't? :p)

My replacement HX1200 is on its way but shipped via UPS Ground from CA to NJ so you know that means not till next week till I can really dig into this 5800x build.

EDIT: Strike 5!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    ajc9988, Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  10. electrosoft

Reputations:
    @ajc9988 I popped those G.Skill sticks real quick into my brothers system (since he wants a 12TB in there now too) to give them a TM5/Memtest stress test. SK memory dual rank. I figured at that price point that is what it was going to be most likely.

They worked without a hitch @ XMP running Prime95, RealBench, Aida, OCCT. I was fishing for WHEA errors just to make sure everything was running fine. zero errors. I'll swap in the 5800x today and rerun all those tests so next week when I get my
    HX1200 back Only last unknown will be the X570 tomahawk.

Papusan, ajc9988 and Rage Set like this.