*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was interested in a before & after regarding GPU temperatures since you moved to liquid cooled CPU, but your temperatures are obviously pretty darn good anyway on your GPU. To test your GPU properly you need to run a loop of Graphics Test 1 of Firestrike Extreme for about 40mins - this will show you max stabalised temperature of the GPU. (If you buy Firestrike rather than use the trial version, then you'll be able to select an infinite loop of Graphics Test 1).

EDIT: @Raiderman , you could use a infinite loop of Unigine Valley at max settings & max AA instead (to aim to get frame rate of about 60fps) if you haven't bought Firestrike. Probably not as hot for your GPU, but will allow you to loop it for 40mins or however long you want).

Raiderman likes this.
  2. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I have it purchased. I will test in a minute. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Robbo99999 likes this.
  3. Raiderman

Reputations:
    Well I am not going to run for 40 minutes...lol. Max temps overclocked are cpu 51c, gpu 69c fans never got above 40%. I also ran a physics test.
    I hope Ryzen 2 will have more OC headroom, because temps are not a problem with this chip. Not quite sure how to get beyond 4.1 yet, as everything I have tried has failed above that. That is only 300 mhz above turbo. Hopefully as it matures it will have better overclocking, similar to Phenom, and Phenom 2.

Physics.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM
    Trafficante and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Temperatures are ok, but a 15 minute run is not steady state; in my testing 40min is steady state for my GPU in my system.

Raiderman likes this.
  5. Raiderman

Reputations:
    Crap, I dont want to kill my gpu yet :) Have you seen prices for them right now?? I want a 1080, and should have pulled the trigger when they were $589 on Newegg, now you cant find one in stock below $700. I should have bought a 1080 when I built the system, but oh well.
    Even My Rx580 is selling for $600...lol

6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ha, you won't kill your GPU by running a Firestrike loop on it! ;-) Here's a proper stress test, I normally just run Firestrike loop, but I tried running 4 threads of Prime95 while running a Firestrike Graphics Test 1 loop for 40 mins, here are the results (2 screenshots to capture all of the HWInfo sensor data):
    1.jpg

3.jpg

Both GPU and CPU at 71 degC maximum during that run, but in fairness that's a 360W system load as measured by a Killawatt wall meter, and during gaming max consumption is around 270W, so it's 90W above a normal gaming load. During that run, CPU at 96W average power consumption; GPU at 190W average power consumption.

In fact, previously I had said that CPU load doesn't increase GPU temperatures in my system, but this test proved that it does when compared to my historical data I have for GPU only testing using Firestrike loop - raises temperature of GPU by 2 degC when my CPU is also highly loaded. I've also seen here that CPU temperatures are also increased by the simultaneous GPU load, when compared to CPU only testing, again when compared to some historical data of mine. Temperatures when gaming are substantially less, GPU in the mid to high 60's, and CPU temperatures in the 40's & 50's.

EDIT: Ha, for some reason for my second pic in this post I ended up doing a screenshot of a screenshot in my haste to capture the information immediately after testing before the 'average' column started to become unrepresentative! The info is still there though.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 3:11 PM
    Raiderman likes this.
  7. Raiderman

Reputations:
    I will try in a little while. Right now, I am creating a custom Windows 7 install disk with all the updates, and numerous new hardware drivers integrated. Going to be a large ISO, as I am integrating to all 4 indexes.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  8. Trafficante

Trafficante Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    Papusan, Mr. Fox and Raiderman like this.
  9. Raiderman

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox could you pm me, or tell me what I am doing wrong in some benchmarks. I submitted a wprime score @4.1 ghz, and I am last for Ryzen 1700x. Ive seen a sub 3 second score for the same speed with the same cpu, and slower ram??

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 1:21 PM
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    PM sent. :D

Raiderman likes this.