*OFFICIAL* M18xR1/R1/18 Owners "Are my CPU/GPU Temps OK Thread" - Ask Questions/Get Help Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icemaker

icemaker Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have a i7-2670qm cpu.
    In game it goes up to 81°C. Is it an acceptable temp ?

2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    100% fine :D

Game on :thumbsup:

3. Rymesis

Rymesis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My temps seem a bit high to me =/ I did a brief search on the forums and didn't see anyone specify temps, I just updated to latest(beta) nVidia drivers(SLI 860M, Driver version 340.43) and updated my BIOs to A08, then ran the Dell tool which said two Intel chipset drivers were out of date, one was Lynx and I forget the other, but I updated both. CPU is a 4710, 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD/80GB MSATA cache drive.
    This has never been opened up yet and I'm pondering repasting with Arctic Silver 5 if these are bad temps.

[​IMG]
    Here's this, only sitting here idling with Chrome and an Explorer window running.

4. sC_b4n3

sC_b4n3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    dude i just have the same temps on my i7 4930mx, the weird thing is, i repaste my GPUS but forgot my CPU, this morning i was using chrome and suddenly my comp shutdown. the weird thing is i was playing last nite like 4 hours with nice temps..

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Fantastic temps. The Threshold for auto-shutdown on Intel Haswell Chips are around 90 C. My AW 17 gets around 72 C average on load. Don't have to worry unless you are in mid to high 80's

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Haswell and Sandy go to thermal shutdown at 100°C, Ivy Bridge 105°C. I agree with ThatOldGuy... your temps are just fine.

7. Rymesis

Rymesis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay, max CPU temp was about 80c so far, GPU I think was around 70c max for both still.
    Thank you guys, I'll relax some about it, I guess I'm just use-to the last computer I actually payed attention to the CPU/GPU heat was an old Pentium D.

I'm fully updated all around on my drivers and BIOs, I was on A06 before updating to A08, the handrest was getting warm, not entirely unlike the M14X R2, but after being updated it's been room temperature which I'm enjoying much more, since the M14X R2 got hot enough to make my wrist sweat from the temperature, in an air conditioned room.

Also....I thought that Dell locked down the drivers?
    I installed drivers from nVidia directly and didn't have to edit the .inf file or anything, it just happily took it.

8. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Where the heck is the high temps? o_O