*OFFICIAL* M18xR1/R1/18 Owners "Are my CPU/GPU Temps OK Thread" - Ask Questions/Get Help Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1Shadow

SG1Shadow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Idle temps for CPU overclocked to 4.1 GHz while flat on a table - 60C. It can be as low as 50C when it is on my cooler or elevated in some other way.
    Non OC temps are usually always around 45 - 50C

GPU idle temps at 1.05V and 200 MHz OC
    GPU1 - 42C
    GPU2 - 46C

The highest temps I have seen on my GPU were in Borderlands 2. One GPU got to 85C for a bit. I also realized I forgot to turn on SLI after a driver update so all work was being done on one GPU. The other GPU still got up to about 70C because it was being used as a PhysX processor at the time. My CPU under load with the OC can shoot up to 90C for a bit. Usually it is around 80 - 85C.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    What system and specs (CPU, GPUs, etc.) are you checking the temps for?

Also, what are the ambient temps in the room where you are generally using the system?

3. Nycro

Nycro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I repasted my cpu and gpu's yesterday and today after alowing a burn in and cure im notcing that my primary 680m is running at 55c - 58c idle temperatures while the secondary is at around 45c - 48c idle. Is this something I should be concerned with? I followed the correct method on the IC diamond ( Pea size on the GPU's and a rice grain line along the CPU) The CPU is running much cooler with my modest overclock.

Just wondering if I need to retear this thing down again and redo the primary GPU... Or if it is something I should not worry about

CPU is idling around 35c...

Edit both the video cards have a mild overclock .... and a modified Vbios

4. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The difference between them isn't a huge deal, and is pretty normal. It will vary for everyone. I would be the most concerned with your peak temperatures. Are they better now than they were before you pasted?

5. Nycro

Nycro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Peak temperatures have dropped significantly (mostly on the cpu) I also recently had the CPU fan die on me and had to buy a new one so I'm very happy with the new temperatures. I just was worried about the temperature differences between the two gpu's. The stock paste was very wore out and all over the gpu dies. cpu paste was very thin and you could tell it was wore out. Overall I'm very happy with the new temperatures and my fans are much more quiet

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, this normal. No need to be concerned about it. Neither are overheating, so no biggie.

7. SG1Shadow

Reputations:
    I am using 680m SLI for the GPU and an i7 3740qm. The ambient temps for me are usually around 60 - 70 F.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I think you're in good shape, SG1Shadow. Those are reasonable temperatures. If they continue to rise it might be time to pull the bottom cover, unscrew the fans and vacuum out any dust and lint accumulated in the heat sink radiators and fans.

9. SG1Shadow

Reputations:
    I actually just got done doing that. I saw a decrease in 10 degrees C for both GPUs and the CPU for idle temps and 5-10 degrees C lower while running extreme tuning utility's CPU test and evga OC scanner GPU test. The GPU fans and vents did have some dust. The CPU vent was literally half clogged. Guess I should clean more than once every 8 months. How often would you recommend?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Awesome! Believe it or not, that is one of the leading causing of poor computer performance, even instability and premature component failures can result from this. It can sometimes even present a fire hazard with desktop power supplies that get filled up with fuzz.

I clean mine every 30-60 days. I live in a desert, so it is dusty and dry. Additionally, if you are a smoker, live with one, or you have pets that shed hair, the system can get clogged very quickly. I would check it in 30 or 60 days to see how things look inside and decide how often would be fitting for your situation.

SG1Shadow likes this.