*OFFICIAL* M18xR1/R1/18 Owners "Are my CPU/GPU Temps OK Thread" - Ask Questions/Get Help Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trickster29

Trickster29 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    .-. I never disable that sensor XD i just leave it on and shrug it off nothing happens

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Most of the time nothing ever happen. Once in a great while HWiNFO64 will freeze with it enabled, or the system will hang during shutdown with it enabled.

Optimistic Prime likes this.
  3. Trickster29

Reputations:
    Interesting XD windows update made me restart while i had the sensor on it did it fine so i really dont notice it so more info the better it says itll cause high load....please when my alien was a baby just came out of dell it could open every app on it at once and still have room to function. the thing never freezes except that 1 time i put something on REALTIME priority and it hogged all the CPU and i had to shut it down XD my bad but on its own it doesnt freeze :) so i dont worry about high loads :) but i leave it on and i have not noticed that or experianced it but time will tell :p but i believe your words mr fox :)

I guess its also a bad thing im used to that proformance i end up freezing the tiny pcs cause i rarly close anything. The dell is optimized so it doesnt freeze but im talking the tiny pentium duel cores and i3s and small i5s

People seriously get jealous like ill be in Firefox with like 100 tabs open and the alien not caring but when they try that there pc is begging for mercy and idk why they cant open those tabs but mine does and they all end up saying the same thing "i wish i had an alien" and i always laugh at that

And 70 C while idling is a little odd :| i bet you the paste is all screwed up like my previous stock dell paste that i had to replace air bubbles everywhere and barly any coverage at all

4. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It can also cause performance problems in games. I've had it cause stuttering, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

5. jinda

jinda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox its A03 date Sept 11, 2013

I already ordered IC Diamond. I had the old Artic Silver 5 that I used in my old 17/18R2 but I wanna try another paste. I read that IC Diamond is really good.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Trickster29

Reputations:
    IC diamond is a good paste :) only if u apply it correctly :) its different from others

7. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    nevermind wrong post

reborn2003 likes this.
  8. jinda

Reputations:
    Hey guys.

Last night I was playing POE and my GPUs have huge difference in temps. There's like 20F difference its like normally 70ish on GPU1 and 50ish on GPU2.
    I dont think there is a problem with SLI cable too as I'm getting like 130+ average fps maxed. I usually get just 80-90 fps using a single card so I know GPU2 is loaded.

Is it normal for the difference to be that huge? I am going to repaste the CPU and I'm thinking of doing GPU1. Or should I just repaste all 3 of them?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Brother jinda, I think everything is fine for you. If that is the highest temp you are seeing on GPU1, I would recommend not burning any calories on this. It's not worth it, IMHO. 70ish is perfectly safe and normal, but 50ish is cooler than normal while gaming. If anything, GPU2 is probably being under-utilized and would most likely explain why it is running so much cooler than normal.

Honestly, I would just leave it alone unless one of the GPUs or the CPU starts having problems with overheating and you're not even close to overheating with those temps. I go by the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" approach when it comes to repasting CPUs and GPUs, so I would not recommend repasting everything just for good measure. While I never hesitate for a moment to rip things apart when there is a good reason to do so, if you can avoid disturbing the internals of any computer or electronics except for the times you really need to, I think you will be better off.

jinda likes this.
  10. jinda

Reputations:
    Ye I'm getting good result on my games, just thought I'd ask if temps are normal. I'll just proceed with my CPU repaste then. I still haven't done it since you recommended it.
    I 'm getting like 89F on playing POE which I think is too high as I dont get as high as 70s from the 1st AW18 that I had with the same CPU. Thanks.