*OFFICIAL* M18xR1/R1/18 Owners "Are my CPU/GPU Temps OK Thread" - Ask Questions/Get Help Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    CPU and GPU temps are things that many of us seem to be very concerned about from time to time, so here is a thread where you can ask the question, "Are my temps OK" without having to hunt for the right thread to ask and post the information. I'll do my best in my spare time to update the opening post with a record of reported temps organized by CPU and GPU model.

If you have great temps and want to post that as a point of reference for those with concerns, please feel free to do so. (This will help establish what is within the realm of "normal" temps.)

I'm not sure exactly what the format will end up looking like, so bear with me as I try to figure out what works best. To start off, we will simply index links to posts for specific CPU and GPU configurations to minimize the need to sift through every post on every page to find references to the hardware you want to know about. (I think this might work best.)

Bear in mind that temps can vary between two otherwise identical system based on many factors, no the least of which is ambient temperatures. So, if your temps are slightly higher than someone else's don't freak out about it. For most CPU and GPU the threshold for thermal shutdown is 100°C.

When posting your question (or observations) about your temps, please include the following whenever possible:

• CPU Model (2720QM, 2860QM, 2920XM, 2960XM, etc.)
    • GPU Model (6970M, 6990M CrossFire, GTX 580M SLI, etc.)
    • GPU Driver (if applicable; i.e. Catalyst 12.5, Verde 296.10, etc.)
    • Activity when temps noted (idle, Vantage, Metro 2033, BF3, etc.)
    • Ambient/Room Temperature (best estimate if exact temp is unknown)
    • Your Thermal Interface Material (stock/factory paste, re-pasted IC Diamond, etc.)
    • Optional: Screen Shot Showing Temps (sidebar gadgets, GPU-Z, HWiNFO64, MSI Afterburner, etc.)

Remember: Keeping the fans and heat sinks clear of dust and lint is absolutely critical. It takes very little to cause serious heat problems, especially if you use the machine in a warm environment. This problem is the leading cause of overheating and performance issues for CPUs and GPUs. In most cases, replacing thermal paste and pad is not required to correct overheating issues. Using compressed air to blow through the outside vents also does not cut it. It just temporarily moves the stuff and in not time it will be clogging the heat sink radiators again. Pull off the bottom cover, remove the fans and do it the right way. Use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner to get it all of the crud out. Hold the fans to prevent them from spinning up to a high RPM as this can damage them.

Intel Core i7 XM (Extreme CPU)
    Mr. Fox - 2920XM - Idle
    Quontum - 3920XM - Battlefield 3

Intel Core i7 QM (Non-Extreme CPU)
    dave98 - 2760QM - Batman Arkham Asylum
    mpearson - 2860QM - 3DMark11, Vantage
    Trance003 - 2860QM - Battlefield 3

AMD Blackcomb GPU (6970M/6990M)
    UsmanG - 6990M CrossFire - Furmark

AMD Wimbleton GPU (7970M)
    Quontum - 7970M CrossFire - Battlefield 3

NVIDIA Fermi GPU (All Models)
    mpearson - GTX 560M SLI - 3DMark11, Vantage
    Trance003 - GTX 580M SLI - Battlefield 3
    dave98 - GTX 580M SLI - Batman Arkham Asylum
    Mr. Fox - GTX 580M SLI - Idle

(NOTE: Index is no longer being maintained)
    .​

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. UsmanG

UsmanG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey,

I just ran the 15 min FunMark test and it seems like the temp levels are okay, but what i do not understand is GPU #3. My system only has 2 GPU's right? Which one is the third? It is running so HOT 91+ degrees

I own an AlienWare M18x R1, less than 1 month old.

Here are the screenshot after the 15 min FunMark test.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8202/funmark15mintest.jpg

Does the temp levels seem okay? What is the meaning of GPU #3?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Usman

3. Sam_A_1992

Sam_A_1992 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gpu 3 could be the integrated gpu showing up. Either the hd 3000 or 4000 on IB.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    My initial gut reaction is "no, your temps are fine" and the problem is Furmark. Those temps are not entirely unheard of using Furmark. There's no good reason to run it unless you're trying to test something very unusual that requires GPU stress tests that exceed real-world GPU loads, and then you wouldn't want to run it for 15 minutes. Doing so can cause damage that would not be covered under your warranty. Furmark is unnecessarily harsh.

If you see 91°C from your GPUs running Vantage or 3DMark11, or any games, then you can consider that a problem that needs to be addressed.

Other than what Sam said, no idea why you would see a GPU #3. Unless something is messed up with Furmark. Perhaps you can post a screen shot so we can better understand what you are referring to.

The IGP should not be visible to the BIOS while discrete graphics are active and vice versa. If you look in Device Manager and see the Intel Graphics and your 6990M cards, then there is a setting in your BIOS that is not correct. The M18x does not have on-the-fly switching and that is handled by a switch rather than software. They should never both be visible if the settings are correct... only one or the other.

5. mpearson

mpearson Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I've never done any benchmarking before so I thought I'd give it ago.
    Would appriciate any feedback.

Everything on the M18X is stock and the benchmarks all run with default settings.

CPU = i7-2860QM
    GPU = 560M dual SLI

3D Mark 11 = CPU Package Temp 44C-82C
    GPU1 Temp = 52C-66C
    GPU2 Temp = 48C-64C
    Score = 4154

3D Vantage
    CPU Package Temp = 44C-88C
    GPU1 Temp = 52C-66C
    GPU2 Temp = 48C-63C
    Score = 17087

Is the CPU Package Temp on the 3D Vantage test OK?

Thanks

MP:)

6. locust76

locust76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mr Fox speaks the truth. Furmark is not really an accurate measure of how your GPUs will perform under real-world load.

I used to get 91° in real world applications, and my cards were overheating bad. If I ran Furmark at that time, they would hit 102° no problem.

At the moment I get up to 85° or so in Furmark, and about 76° in real games, so yeah, your furmark temps are pretty much spot-on.

Those are excellent temps I think. My GPUs get up to 76° under real-world load, so for the 560Ms that should be pretty normal

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yep, agree with locust76... normal/good. No worries. You've got overhead to spare with those temps.

8. TheMatrixHacker

TheMatrixHacker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Temps look awesome. Take care of her!

9. UsmanG

UsmanG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Like Fox said - it is only possible to switch between the 6990M's or the integrated gpu.

In my case i did the FunMark test on the 6990M's. The integrated gpu was off - i have actually never used the integrated gpu.

FunMark gives me unrealistic high temp levels which are 84 is my case - understood Mr. Fox.

I can only enable either the 6990M's or the integrated gpu, you are right. I have only the 6990M's enabled never used the integrated gpu.

I checked device manager under display adapters and only the 6990M's are listed.

Still i do not understand what GPU #3 is...

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8202/funmark15mintest.jpg

That is great..

Does anyone have any idea to what the GPU #3 is ?

10. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    GPU #3 is NOT another gpu - its merely a temperature sensor on the card - if you look at GPU-Z, those readouts are numbered "GPU Temp. #1/2/3"....3 sensors on each card - 3 readings from different points on the same card....for what its worth, I always remember sensor #3 getting considerably hotter than the other two on my previous AMD setup. Nothing to worry about when using a stress test like Furmark, but if you see temps like that whilst gaming, that would require some attention to be paid, as it would be far too hot.

Also, I wouldnt advise continually using Furmark to stress your gpu's - it has been know to burn up cards beaucse it puts a VERY severe load on them - not like any game would put on them.