*OFFICIAL* M18x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    1) Yes A05 unlocked is the bios. Available at techinferno, I don't know if it was ever posted here.

2) You should use the BIOS to overclock or throttlestop.

3) This really depends on which heatsink you have, your thermal paste choice/application, and ambient temps

4) 780M SLI should use about 300W or less depending on what you're doing. unless you are overclocking everything really high, a single 330w ac adapter will work fine

5) HWInfo supports controlling the fans manually if really needed

6) Run a benchmark such as 3DM11, Firestrike, etc. and see if you are scoring what everyone else with the same system is.

Vaeron likes this.
  2. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    3) I bought a triple pipe heatsink, and I’ll be using my leftover Kryonaut. Ambient temp should be between 20~24°C.

4) I do have the huge and heavy power brick because I used to have a Crossfire setup. I just forgot about the temps which is why I want to know what to expect this time as a sort of benchmark.

5) I don’t know if I have to tweak the HWiNFO settings this time. I remember tweaking something a long time ago. I also don’t remember what sensors to use for which fans.

6) I’m assuming they’re all free programs. I’m excited to try them out.

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    3) Then you are good to go. Should be getting 7XC temps at load. Overclocked will be higher but shouldn't have to worry about anything.

4) 780M SLI temps will be less than 6990M Crossfire temps. They run cool compared to the AMD cards, also expect temps in the 7XC.

5) Just load HWInfo, click sensors only, then you will see a fan icon at the bottom. Click that and you can change the fans, making a profile will of course require a sensor to select. But I don't think you will have to do anything with the fans, everything should run cool enough.

6) They are paid programs but have free versions that don't allow you to change settings. But that isn't an issue since you want to run default settings anyways. Also run Cinebench R11.5 anr R15 for CPU. Cinebench is free.

Vaeron likes this.
  4. Vaeron

Reputations:
    3) My current CPU idles at around 50°C and goes up to around 65°C. Good to know that I’m looking good temperature-wise.

4) Ah. It seems I did a good repad then on my single 780M. It idles at around 57~60°C and goes up to the mid-70s when it’s under load.

5) That’s the thing. There are three fans there, and they’re not labeled if they’re for the primary/slave GPU or the CPU. As for the sensors, again, I have no idea on which to select to get the proper readings for the fans to work correctly.

6) I hope I at least get average scores. Seems like every part gets delivered by the first week of December.

EDIT: I saw the unlocked A05 v. 2.0 BIOS over there, but I’m still waiting for my account to be cleared (minimum post rule). I also am not sure how to find the stock Intel RST for my unit because the person posting the BIOS says that I need to have it that way.

5. Jonathan Hersey

Jonathan Hersey Newbie

Reputations:
    Looking for some opinions on my: Alienware M18X R2, i7-3940XM, 32GB 1600MHZ DDR, 1.5TB SSD TRIPLE RAID, Dual Nvidia GTX 680M SLI and Blu-Ray. Basically was a 6k laptop with completely max spec brand new.

I still have the complete care and premium plus warranty coverage till 4/28/18 after extending it when the original 4 year warranty expired.

After years of running great and minimal issues the display finally crapped out along with a few other things like overheating and sounding like an airplane when running at times because of the fans.

I originally called them on 12/11/2017 and after walking me through some troubleshooting unsuccessfully they decided to have me send in the laptop to be repaired.

On 12/13/17 i received the box and mailed back to them which they received on 12/16/17.

On 12/19/2017 they began the diagnosis.

I called several times about every other day after this to try and make sure they were staying on top of it and also trying to get an idea of when i could expect to get it back. Every time i was told either they would mail that department and email me back or something similar to other posts on this thread. Finally on 12/28/17 they told me the warehouse should have it ready the following week.

On 1/02/18 they said that there was a Part Backlog and that they no longer make or can replace the m18 screen and so are unable to fix my laptop. They said that i qualify for a system exchange and should be getting contacted by that department in the next 24-48 hours.

As of today 1/4/18 i still have yet to hear from them regarding anything as far as what I would be getting other than what the rep had originally told me that they can exchange it for an m17 R4 since they don't make the m18 r2 anymore.

I want to make sure that i hopefully can get a maxed out m17 r4 since my original r18 was over 6k and the m17 r4 max out around 5k today.

Do any of you have any advice on what i should say or ask for when the exchange department finally gets ahold of me or any other advice to make sure this doesn't turn into a several month process? I have never dealt with Dell on a exchange but want to make sure i don't get a lesser system, refurb or somehow screwed over in this process.

6. Vaeron

Reputations:
    Does anyone have an updated version of @Mr. Fox's HWiNFO64 settings from here?

7. Jango666

Jango666 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anybody selling gpus?

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    @ssj92 @Raidriar

How low of a power consumption can you manage on the 3920/3940XMs on idle?

9. ncrs

ncrs Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings.

I've got a strange problem.

M18x R1, 2960Xm, 24Gb, 780m single.

Normal CPU temperature in idle workout like browsing is about 45 degrees Celsius.
    Some sites, like TechInferno, bursts it to 90 Celsius in seconds, the vents are like a turbine.

After closing TechInferno the temps drop to usual 45 in seconds and vents are silented down.
    The further browsing is just fine with 45 degrees.

Heavy load like Valley Mark bursts temps, but to average for this config.

Can anyone clear out this mystery?

Here are some screens, made within a minute :

https://imgur.com/a/gyuDPFf
    [​IMG]

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Stop use that Tech Inferno Forum. It's the new Devils page!!

Vaeron, Ashtrix and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.