*OFFICIAL* M18x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

1. usmc1488

usmc1488 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Im going to go the 980m route after Christmas. Especially now that there is the moded bios out.

2. usmc1488

usmc1488 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Im having second thoughts, my 7970s are really liking the new drivers, 3D Marks score have almost reached 9500 with stable clocks at 990/1550!!!!!!!!!!!

Im going to wait and see how the AMD cards perform, if they are as good as my 3rd grn 7970s are Ill be staying with AMD.

3. Alkaline

Alkaline Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how much is a alienware m18x r1 that has 8 beeps worth it turns on but no LCD, has dual 6790M cards, old I know but worked good as a general usage machine until it started doing 8 beeps.

4. ped

ped Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I would be posting on the price check area but seems I don't have enough posts to do so (need 100). Uh, sure. I'd rather post when I have something to say, but whatevs.

Anyhoo... finally thinking of betraying my fellow brothers (and sisters) and selling the ol' M18x R2. Both my this and my 14x are on the chopping block, as I have been using more desktops as of late. The m14x doesn't bother me.. its just another BGA'ed laptop from AW for me.

I *LOVE* my M18x, but to be honestly I rarely use it as my main machine. Honestly it never was my main machine. I always used it as my trophy to use while I was dual boxing on the MMOs I played (yes, sad to say that WoW was one of them... but those were my younger years... promise. :) )

So would just like some fellow members opinions. It is a very good machine. One of the best. I even saw DxUltima's post on another forum board talking about the upgradability of this beast. Just I always intended on tinkering but never did. Always wanted to add a couple 980ms, with prema's INFs, but didnt'. Now just saw brother usmc1488's post about how the 7970ms are working wonderfully now with new OCs and drivers... d'ohh - regrets!

Point is: I would be much happer finding this baby a home with a NBR member that would upgrade it (yes don't have a OC'ed CPU - my bad), and really appreciate it. At the end of the day the wifey wants it sold. So given it's value now, even though I don't want to let her go for nostalgia sake, figure it's now or never. My guess is I wouldn't sell it for less than $1500 because I've seen that at listed at places. Also since I can't sell it here, don't have much choice but will say through eBay as don't trust craig's list and don't want to doing cash transactions for amounts that large.

So here it is.

Appreciate fellow member's thoughts.

TL;DR: Selling my AW M18x R2 at great pains, but figure now is the time.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  5. navygm1

navygm1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have seen it sell between $900 and $1500, but you can try for $1500. I will never get rid of my M18xR2. This machine is still going strong.

rawhide85 likes this.
  6. infowarrior

infowarrior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really must try to upgrade the graphic cards on it, the 780 sli are showing there age, i have to say when the extreme processor is overclocked to 4.5ghz and playing a 90 gig 4k movie with DTSMA it really just tears through it with absolutely no issues at all. It keeps up with Core i7 5820K nicely.

7. Spunky424

Spunky424 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    has anyone had any issues with the m18x R2 and a no boot black screen and 4 beeps? trying to trouble shoot.

8. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    4 beeps is video card error, I believe.

9. @tomX

@tomX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any updates on getting the 1060/1070 working on the m18x R2?

10. bweslake

bweslake Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello fellow M18xR1 owners!

I've tried searching the net to no avail so I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help ...

Does the unlocked modified bios allow wake on lan to work?