*OFFICIAL* M18x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Good, I can move the money to my bank now lol. I never withdraw funds until the customer is happy haha

2. Brulio86

Brulio86 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there

First of all, Hi everybody, I'm new to this site and this sort of stuff and I come seeking advice, I hope you guys could help me figure out my problem.
    I have an Alienware M18xR2 with an I7-3820qm, 24 gb of ram and a single nvidia gtx 980m GPU that i got from Eurocom last year, currently I am running windows 8.1 64 bit and BIOS A12.
    The thing is that a couple of weeks ago I was using my computer as usual playing a not particularly demanding game and the computer suddenly crashed showing the "DPC_Watchdog_Violation" error, when I restated it it showed the same error and some times other errors such as "video scheduler internal error" and so on. After that I couldn't access windows so I had to perform a clean install but the problem is that I still can't use the GPU, In BIOS it is recognized, it is shown as "Nvidia GTX' but in windows it says "Microsoft basic display adapter", and whenever I try to install the custom divers provided by eruocom, the same thing happens, the computer crashes and it needs a clean installation of windows.
    I don't think that the GPU is damaged because I've had that before (burned one of the 675m that the laptop had originaly) so I suspect the problem is software, maybe the VBIOS?, I don't know.
    Have any of you guys encountered this problem before? Right now I just want to know what the problem is,, from there I'll see what to do, if need a new GPU or if the problem is in the motherboard or whatever.

Thank you

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sounds like the GPU driver is not installing correctly. I seriously doubt you have any hardware issues based on what you described.

4. KKthebeast

KKthebeast Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    try this https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...ort-modded-inf/&do=findComment&comment=144303

5. Brulio86

Brulio86 Newbie

Reputations:
  6. KKthebeast

Reputations:
    Just make 5 posts and you should get promoted to where you can download files. just goto the forums you know stuff about. and help out some newbies with questions :)

7. usmc1488

usmc1488 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am still loving this beast, debating if I should go the 980 route or the easier, more affordable, and more stable AMD upgrade.

I'm running dual original issue M7970s still with zero issues, I know I am the minority. So just because I thought Id up my OC and holy smokes the latest AMD driver has made extreme (for these cards) OC stable. I re-downloaded Crysis 3 and Bio Shock 3. Ive set the OC at 980(!)/1500(!) and they ran both games as well as the more modern and demanding Shadows of Mordor extremely well with all settings the highest possible.

Frame rate for Bioshock are insane at a steady 120ish, Crysis hovers around 80 same for SM and Fall out 4 is around 70! Temps got to 84 after an hour on the master card. Ill get screen shots tonight.

8. jmonroe0914

jmonroe0914 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Was that a typo? 84C is 183F and less than 1C from the max temp rating.

If it's not a typo, due to the placement of the main card directly next to the CPU, it's likely to result in a shortened lifespan of the mainboard and CPU. There's no way to definitively know, but generally speaking anything over a sustained 80C temp should be avoided.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  9. usmc1488

usmc1488 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well that's the first Ive heard of that, I can back it down and will, screen shots in a few moments.

10. KKthebeast

Reputations:
    I just came from dual 7970m, and am very glad i upgraded, as to going with newer amd cards, i have no clue. I don't know anyone who has personally. The 980m sli has been solid for me (WITH Swick BIOS and Prema's v2 vBIOS) not able to OC though, I do miss the heck out of overclocking. I would go with what ever company has the lower TDP that way you have room to OC. just my humble opinion. :)