*OFFICIAL* M18x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

1. dab89

dab89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    after a long absence wanted to pop back in, say hi and ask a few questions for help/advice if possible please :)

Factory reset my Alienware m18x r2 laptop. Had a look and turns out for some reason I've had a windows folder on my self installed SSD drive, with the main windows partion on the factory installed hdd disk. Since restoring my laptop i've done the whole windows update etc, screenshot below:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/106/PYyd9t.jpg

Wanted to confirm, would the best option be too switch main boot drive via disk management first to the SSD, then simply using disk management to delete the original boot drive? I want to erase everything from the non SSD drive. From what I understand, my other option is to delete the windows partion on SSD drive, format it etc then copy the image from original drive onto it, then delete the drive C. the reason why im potentially considering this method is because not only do i have windows folder duplicated, but also every other folder and im wondering whether i might potentially delete something i might need in the process. Also, after doing this, would this restore me to having only 1 recovery partion in general?

also, is there a definitive thread i should take a look at in regards to updating drivers etc? i have standard 3670qm , 680m etc I went onto the dell website and did the driver diagnostic thing, but i have the feeling that those potentially won't be the best drivers out there?

Finally, after doing my factory reset, my laptop seems to have had its fans usage go through the roof (doing nothing other than standard browsing, no games etc) - anyone have any idea why?

Also, quick browse of the forums seems to indicate that things aren't going great for the alienware brand, which is a shame!

thank you for any help in advance, sorry about the potentially nooby questions, first time doing this.

2. @tomX

@tomX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your C driver (HDD) is set to "boot" and "active" so if you remove that one or format it, you normally loose boot... unless your SSD drive also has the MBR set correctly.

I would try to remove the HDD drive to see if it boots. (don't forget to set the SSD river first in bios).

If not you got to choices:
    - use windows 7/8 iso disk/usb to fix boot on your SSD
    - to a clean install of Windows on the SSD without any other driver connected and then when it's workinf, add the HDD drive.

dab89 likes this.
  3. dab89

dab89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi Tom, thank you for your reply. sorry if im a bit dense, so does that mean that the method i've described in my post isn't going to work? i.e. using disk management tool i have open in screenshot.
    im not even bothered anymore about potentially missing out on some programs, i can redo the whole driver updates etc. im not sure where my CDs are but i do have a alienwarerespawn created USB backup.

many thanks

regards

4. @tomX

@tomX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    SSDs and HDDs don't have the exact same boot sectors so unless anybody else believes otherwise, cloning the windows folder / HDD drive to your SSD will result in now boot or a twisted windows install. All references in the registry you want to keep on your SSD initially come from a HDD which is not the same.

Considering the fact that installing windows on a SSD takes about 20 min times, I would go for the safe way = clean install.

deadsmiley, Papusan and dab89 like this.
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    need polaris and pascal GPU to see if they work in m18x r2

if they work i can get them in this machine and finally call it retirement, then focus my attention on p570wm and upcoming clevo laptops that will succeed the p870dm.

Ali Masood likes this.
  6. SniperTNT

SniperTNT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a fix for the Alienware m18x R2 downclocking with any nvidia drivers other than 352.84 using a gtx 980m?

If I have 352.84 installed, I get no downclocking but the performance could be better. In the more recent drivers or any other than 352.84, I can get better performance but the 980m downclocks every 5 seconds or so with those.

I've already asked nvidia what was changed between drivers and why this issue is happening but they don't know what's up with it.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  7. SniperTNT

SniperTNT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok I've found a fix for the throttling issue for a 980M on Windows 10 x64 on an Alienware m18x R2.

Read this thread if you are wondering how to fix the problem: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-m18x-r2-with-980m-possible-throttling-fix.791358/

8. NightEye

NightEye Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys. To replace my 6990m, I bought a 780m here on this forum last week:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...alienware-m18x-r1.792530/page-2#post-10273406

So, It got here OK, I just installed it, switched from Intel Graphics to normal and it seems to work fine. :)
    But now, I'm having trouble installing the driver. According to Nvidia website, I downloaded "368.39-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql" but it can't find a compatible video adapter.

In the Device Manager, I have this (sorry, it's in French) :
    [​IMG]

I think the english equivalent is "Microsoft Basic Video Adapter", except the system knows it's a Nvidia GPU.

For the life of me, I don't know how to proceed from here.

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm glad you got the card safe and sound! Didn't have to pay VAT right?

You need the modded INF for the nvidia installer to detect the card. Since you don't have a techinferno account (probably...), I downloaded J95's peg mod and attached it. All credit goes to him. Note: It works for Windows 10 only, Windows 7/8 need a different INF file.

Follow his guide here:
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...er-support-modded-inf/&page=51#comment-144037

Bon chance!

Attached Files:

Ali Masood likes this.
  10. NightEye

NightEye Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it worked ! Thanks !

And I didn't have to pay any taxes, it went fine. ;)