*OFFICIAL* M18x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, two cards for SLI, yeah....BUT HANG ON!! - I read the seller's listing and he says " MSI version , works on single MXM laptop eg m17x R5, and dual MXM laptop eg m18x (only one work at a time)" which suggests to me that his cards have no SLI connector on the MXM card, and therefore cannot be used in a dual GPU configuration as he states one card at a time. As far as I know, MSI don't do a dual GPU laptop, so it makes sense that there would perhaps be no SLI cable connector on the card itself as there would be no need for one if MSI had them from Nvidia for their machines. I would check with the seller first.

If you look at this listing Nvidia GeForce GTX 880M 8GB DDR5 for CLEVO alienware upgrademonkey to the left of the GPU die, you can see the SLI connector on the card (white coloured connection) but you can't on the one you linked to. These ones would be more appropriate for use in a dual GPU configuration as you can hook 'em up with a SLI cable.

And yeah, you would still need the "bits" such as heat sinks and SLI cable if you are coming from Crossfire 7970m's......

rawhide85, Mr. Fox and Soul Reaver like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    rawhide85, DanXbix and TBoneSan like this.
  3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Ohh nice and tasty :D I've been wanting to do this. Very nice storage upgrade indeed.

edit - good price you got yourself there you savvy sun of gun :thumbsup:

rawhide85 and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The Dell engineer is coming Friday with two new cards and also a motherbaord this time. I guess i could sell my 7970s.

rawhide85 likes this.
  5. Keith

Keith Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While I was trying to get the maximum speed I could out of my new 840 Pro's, I was taking a look around inside the modded A03 bios that I am using. I came across a setting I had never paid attention to before. Please see the attached screenshot. Would I be better off changing the setting to Solid State Drive instead of the default setting which is Hard Disk Drive? I'm not sure what changing this setting actually will do?

photo.jpg

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Go ahead and change it. I manually set mine to SSD on the ports where doing so is applicable. It causes no problems whatsoever for me, but I have not recognized a benefit from changing it. I think it may do something during POST as far as waiting for a mechanical HDD to response or something like that, but I am not 100% sure of the purpsoe.

Keith and rawhide85 like this.
  7. Keith

Keith Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer. Changing it made no noticeable difference for me either - SSD benchmarks or otherwise. I just figured if I have the option to change it to SSD, that has to be better. Right? :p

rawhide85 and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Redtulips7

Redtulips7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did Anybody try on Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI Express?Is it better than intel default Network card?

rawhide85 likes this.
  9. ivanj3thro

ivanj3thro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    does 7970m cfx could last for couple of years? the unit is refurb

rawhide85 likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    There's no way to accurately predict that. 7970M doesn't have a good reputation, but some folks never have problems. It might last several years, or it might last only several months.

rawhide85 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.