*OFFICIAL* M18x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

1. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes it's possible.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I have three 9.5MM drives and they fit fine in the HDD caddy. The drives are literally touching one another or maybe have enough air space for a piece of paper to slip between them, so very snug, but it's not a forced fit or anything like that. I have a 1TB HDD sandwiched between my Corsair Neutron SSDs. My other 1TB HDD is in the ODD caddy. I suspect that stacking up 3 x 9.5MM HDD would produce too much heat because there is no breathing room or ventilation in that area.

3. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Reputations:
    I'm running three 9.5MM HDDs in the caddy without issue. Heat has never been a problem for the drives. For example, they are currently sitting at 40, 41, and 43C, and the computer has been on all day. They are all 7.2k spinners, two of them are hybrid hard drives (Momentus XTs).

I can imagine that it could potentially overheat the drives if all 3 drives were under 100% load, but that has never been the case for me. These three drives have been in the caddy in their current configuration for close to 2 years now, and none of them are showing signs of failure (one of the Momentus XTs was used for 2 years in my old M17 as well).

While there isn't any ventilation, I think the caddy itself and surrounding case does a good job of conducting heat away from the drives. They're actually running significantly cooler than the drives were in my M17 (typically 45-50C), although part of that might be that I'm running Windows on my mSATA SSD rather than one of the hard drives.

Anyway, long story short: three 9.5mm hard drives definitely fit in the caddy and temperatures shouldn't be a problem either (although I'd recommend keeping a close eye on them).

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. faiz23

faiz23 Macbook FTW

Reputations:
    I miss my nebula red M18x more and more every day. I am loving the specs of the new machines but hating the style.

reborn2003 likes this.
  5. Redtulips7

Redtulips7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New Alienware design is sucks!!!I bet you it has design by Dell,Alienware went three step backward with this ugly design.........

6. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Guys

I am going to sell my current rig (Once Dell have repaired it again this week) I want to switch to Nvidia based, what would you recommend please? Similar or better specs to what I have currently is what I am looking for.

Cheers..

Current machine

Alienware M18x R2
    Processor : Intel Core i7 3920XM (8MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz Overclocked)
    Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD® RADEON HD 7970M CrossFireX
    Display : 18.4" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD
    Camera : Integrated Skype HD Certified FullHD Camera with dual digital microphones
    LCD Back Cover : Cosmic Black - Anodized Aluminum
    Memory : 8192MB (2x4096) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Hard Drive : 256GB SSD + 1TB 5,400rpm SATA
    Optical Drive : DVD+/-RW (Read/Write)

7. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, similar would be an R2 with dual 680m's. Better would be a new (or used) 18 with dual 780m's or a brand spanking new 18 with dual 880m's. Of course, if you don't like the styling of the new 18, you could always upgrade instead of sell -have you considered the possibility of just doing a GPU upgrade on your R2?

8. Soul Reaver

Reputations:
    Hiya

I had no idea I could upgrade the GPU's in the R2 I have. The 7970's I have have failed twice now so im done with them. Could you tell me how I upgrade please, where I get the parts and what parts I need. Does it invalidate my warrenty?

Cheers

9. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The physical process of GPU installation is pretty much this (courtesy of our very own Mr. Fox): http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...dge-cpu-heatsink-7970m-crossfire-upgrade.html

You would probably have to use modified drivers if using 780m's or 880m's - 680m's would be fine without modification as they were validated for use in the M18x R2, meaning you can use normal drivers without the need to mod the .inf to allow installation. As for warranty, if you bought 680m's from Dell, they would not invalidate your warranty, however, upgraded parts will only carry a 3 mth warranty themselves. Buying GPU's from Ebay will carry seller's stated warranty (if any) and anything above 680m's, Dell will not warrant the entire machine - if you kept the 7970m's, you can stick 'em back in and you are still warrantied for however long you have remaining. It's best to keep original parts for this precise purpose.

Most people source upgrade GPU's from Ebay from the likes of Laptop Monkey or other Ebay sellers. If you search for the GPU you want, eg GTX 780m, you will probably find quite a few available. Some GPU's will have different variants, for example 680m's for Dell or for Clevo machines....this can be important to know because the Clevo 680m variants require a slightly different approach - see here: GUIDE: Installing Clevo GTX 680M in Alienware M18x

Also, coming from AMD to Nvidia would require new heatsinks and a new SLI bridge cable instead of a Crossfire cable. All of which can be bought from Ebay and the like.

I guess it would be handy to know a budget for an upgrade path, how much you would want to spend, and then you could look at the prices of which GPU's, heatsinks etc you would need to find out if it's worthwhile or something you may or may not want to do yourself. Plenty of people here have upgraded there GPU's - I went from 580m's to 680's in my old M18x R1 and it was worthwhile. 680m's and 7970m's are pretty close in terms of performance but not so close in terms of reliability etc. You might want to consider 780m's or above....if your budget allows for it.

Keep posting here about your plans - loads of people that can help out and give advice before you decide.

Soul Reaver likes this.
  10. Soul Reaver

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox likes this.