*OFFICIAL* M18x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

1. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can someone explain to me why cat control centre is missing from lots of drivers i download?

Cat Control.jpg

2. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I have tried no less than ten different drivers to play Bf4. I have unparked my cores, set affinity. Done the user.cfg trick and I still get flickering in game and terrain in the distance is a muddy brown with no textures on it.

Last night I came across a thread where people were having issues with Sli on Nvidia cards and I thought what the hell so I disabled crossfire and went onto one card an et voila all works fine ROFL. Even with all my in game video settings on ultra I can play on one card so although not ideal I can at least play BF4 this way. I am surprised I can play on ultra on only one 7970 mind you.

3. oanis

oanis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HAVE SOMEWHAT FIXED THE PROBLEM, BUT DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSED IT... PLEASE SEE MY NEXT POST..

Hey guys,

Ok so I have a big problem now. I wanted to restore my m18x from the backup I created from alienrespawn..I've created 4 backups over some time just to be safe.... Ok so I deleted all partitions from both ssds and restored to factory default, but it kept installing Windows on the ssd I wanted to keep for storage, so I repeated about 5 or 6 times trying something different and so now when I restore it shows bootmgr is missing...I can't go to f8 menu cuz don't have win7 CD as travelling... Also doesn't the restore to factory default formats the drive before restoring if u choose the right option so why is it now showing bootmgr missing? Cuz I think if it formats the ssd before restoring then I don't need to go to f8 to format? Maybe I'm wrong please help.. Anyway just ordered another ssd... Will try to take out one ssd nd try reinstalling tomorrow.. Thanks

Btw just an idea I ran the diagnostic and it showed an error for the ssd where its installing win7... maybe the partition is corrupted and I need to delete it to fix at its not fixing if RECOVERY is formatting it..

Can it be something other than the ssd, cuz if it is then I'm in trouble

Lesson to be learnt here.... so stupid of me to play with the ssd

4. oanis

Reputations:
    Further to my last post have managed to fix the problem. Took out the drive (OCZ Vertex 4) which was causing the problem, installed the factory win 7 on the other drive (Samsung PM810) and then installed the faulty drive back.... Ran DiskPart used the CLEAN command, created partition and formatted the drive.... Ran alien autopsy short hdd scan and the results were 'SMART Short Self Test' timed out And 'SMART wear level test' could not be run..... From what I recall im pretty sure I had the same results before aswell but not 100% sure....

ANY IDEAS WHY ALIEN RESPWAN COULDNT RESTORE ON MY OCZ??????

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If the OCZ SSD is a smaller capacity than the original drive that Windows 7 and AlienRespawn was installed to from the factory it will never work correctly. Respawn will only restore an OS to a drive of equal or greater capacity as the original. It is not designed to resize down to a smaller drive. It is really only intended to be a factory restore option and not a disk imaging program. As such, it's not well suited for migrating an existing Windows installation to a different drive configuration.

6. oanis

Reputations:
    Thanks Mr. Fox,,,,

I think Dell should fix this problem if your correct and have checked thoroughly and it is something to do with OCZ and Alien Respawn although the size is the same 256gb. Anyway just installed 2x Samsung 840 pro... (ITS A BEAST)

Going to sell the old ssd...

But respawn did correctly install windows on the OCZ drive, but I was experimenting with OCZ in disk part as I didn't want to install Win7 on that drive, so I think after I messed up its partition or something respawn just couldn't install it on the OCZ. After that I havnt had the chance to reset the drive's partition etc as just installed the new ones...

7. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Merry Christmas everyone!! :D

TBoneSan and 1nstance like this.
  8. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  9. tonyboy60

tonyboy60 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, sorry to post on this thread but i am a new member and don't know anything about Alienware laptops, i did want to open my own new thread but couldn't for some reason? could someone please help me i brought a Alienware M18x R2 laptop from a so called friend, when i got it home i noticed it only had a 32gb hard drive and was almost full, having looked inside the hard drives where gone along with the caddy and HDD connector cable and most of the Ram. i have brought a Caddy and ram and new 750gb HD, but cant find the HDD connector cable,i did buy one from ebay but after waiting 4 weeks its just gone missing can anybody please help me out? Thank-you sorry to post on here

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi tonyboy60. Welcome to NBR. We're glad to have you here. I moved your post to the Owner's Lounge because it is more fitting in this thread.

The part you need is called the SATA interposer. The part number is M9T51. You can order this from Dell Spare parts or from other vendors on the internet. They are expensive and generally overpriced from most aftermarket suppliers and I recommend ordering it from Dell if stock is available.

You can get it from PCHub.com for less than most. This vendor is reliable, but slow. Expect 2 to 3 weeks from order to delivery.

Dell Alienware M18x R2 HDD Caddy / Adapter | PCHub.com - $41.82