*OFFICIAL* M18x Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Team - you will find GPU parts lists in the opening posts of the following threads:

Links to this information are also posted in the opening post of this thread.

Note: M17x-R3 owners can look in the opening post of their Owner's Lounge for the following information:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  2. abolisher2407

abolisher2407 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have wondered if it is possible to run the M18x on a 150W power supply when using the Integrated GPU.

Can anyone please confirm if they have tried this? Will the machine work correctly?

I have a couple of spare 150W power supply, I would like to leave them connected in places where I tend to sit (living room, bedroom), it would be nice to connect to those while browsing the internet.

However I would then be able to leave the 330W power supply in a more permanent location (office desk).

Thanks

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, you cannot. You will get an error message about the AC adapter not being compatible and the system will not charge if you have the wrong AC adapter plugged in. (Same thing if the correct AC adapter goes bad.) There is a chip in the AC adapter that communicates with a chip on the motherboard through a wire in the AC adapter.

4. martymo1989

martymo1989 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I bought an M18x, it took a month to get here, and when it finally did I was stoked, only to find out the graphic cards and memory they put in were wrong. I called and they sent a technician out to my house the next day to replace the GPU, the guy they sent was very polite and professional, he didn't mind that I hovered over him and asked him questions (I had never taken apart a laptop before) he actually taught me quite a bit.

The next day I emailed my customer service rep to see about the ram, no reply was sent, it's been a week now, and still no answer. Not to mention I've already gotten 3 blue screens and a few beep codes on start up. Taking all this into account I'm going to return the computer.

I already know I have 21 days from the day of delivery to return it for any reason, that leaves me about 11 days to get it sent out. My question is, will Dell have any problems with me returning this laptop, turning around and buying a new one? Also, is there any way I can hold this laptop till the new one gets here? I'm trying to hold out till the m18x with CF 7970s is released, which I'm hoping is in the new week or so.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    There should be no problem with that, and you might get newer hardware specs. It might be a good idea to do that given that the M18x R2 is about to hit the streets.

If you decide to keep it, send a PM to AW-FedericoH for help with the RAM problem that they are ignoring.

6. Joce21

Joce21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi!

I decided to sell my m18x and wait for ivy bridge and 7970m to come and then buy!

But I have a question about the service tag. I guy want me to give him my service tag so he can see what there is in my m18x exactly, but can he have access to my personal informations with the service tag?

Is it risky to give this information?

7. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is. It can lead to a service tag fraud. He can call dell and order things in your name, or perhaps claim parts in your m18x are broken and get their replacements for free.

Do not ever share your service tag with anybody. Tell the buyer you will transfer the warranty to his name (and then he gets the tag) when the transaction between you two is done.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Agree with DarkSkies... Don't do it, bro. No way... big time risk. If the buyer is serious, he will get over it. You can send him screen shots or photos or something else. If he disappears you know he was a scammer.

9. Joce21

Joce21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Wow thank you for the advice, really appreciated!

10. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    True... I already got someone like this before. He was insisting on the service tag, finally I sent him pictures from dell site with the specification and removed the service tag...

I never got any response from the guy after that! So, please be aware of what you are doing. First the money, or if the buyer can meet with you, let him see it and finally you can both decide on what needs to be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.