*OFFICIAL* M15x Owners Lounge - Part 5 (see post #1 for links)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by BatBoy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Strigae

Strigae Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you mean the corrupt colors from using the wrong vbios for that particular card as it was never offered with the M15x. I definitely remember that. Still have my files from back then. How is the 5870M kicking nowadays?

2. timoid

timoid Newbie

Reputations:
    I get the same scores as a Ranger 17 with an 880M GTX. *shrugs*

3. y05h1

y05h1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys!

I'm new to the forum but I've been reading lots of threads about the M15x since I was planning on getting myself one even though it's 2018 now.. (Happy New Year everyone, btw)

I see this thread is kinda dead but maybe someone will reply :)

So, I bought a used M15x off eBay and it arrived today!

The laptop itself came with these specs and I plan to upgrade it as following;
    • CPU 720QM -> 920XM or 940XM
    • GPU Unknown -> HD7970/HD8970 or 860M/870M/965M/970M or FirePro M6100 ( Seller said he swapped the GPU and that the laptop stopped working. Need to swap this to see if the GPU is even the reason it's not booting. I read that if the GPU is dead it could cause the laptop to not boot anymore so I should be able to fix it with swapping the GPU. Also, I have a spare brand new M15x motherboard lying around may it be a more complicated problem I can't fix. )
    • RAM 2x2GB Samsung DDR3 -> 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9, will be downclocked to 1333MHz, I know)
    • 1TB HDD -> 250GB or 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    • Original Slot-Load Optical Drive -> Slot-Load Blu-Ray Optical Drive or Icy Box IB-AC647 + Samsung 960 EVO
    • 6 Cell battery -> 9 Cell battery
    It looks to be in overall good shape and I plan on upgrading the parts somewhere next month. Right now I can't tell much else about it since it won't boot at all.

4. timoid

timoid Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an m15x and pretty much did the same things:
    CPU -> 940XM, GPU -> HD5870M, RAM -> 16G, HDD -> 1TB SSD
    i can play most games OK, the CPU is an inferno however and the GPU runs hot as well.

5. alienisme

alienisme Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the 9-cell battery in your link is for the older machine, not the m15x though and IMO getting a caddy bay is much more useful than the bluray optical drive (unless you want to watch bluray videos and installing games using bluray discs)

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    ssj92 likes this.
  7. sL1pKn07

sL1pKn07 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: