*OFFICIAL* M15x Owners Lounge - Part 5 (see post #1 for links)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by BatBoy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not sure if anyone else posted about this before, but just wanted to share a quick and easy way to cover minor chips and scratches on the painted panels. Just use a Sharpie permanent marker. It works wonders especially if you have the black finish, but the silver Sharpies also work great on the silver panels. Can't comment on red though.

Akimitsui likes this.
  2. Akimitsui

Akimitsui Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome, the M15X that I just acquired is covered in paint chips near the keyboard area. I'll try this out. I'll be replacing the LCD lid with a new one since this is scratched beyond repair.

Compared to the newer Alienwares, I love how this still has a full metal build, and may I add a THICK metal build at that :D. My only gripe would be that it is a glossy finish, not the matte finish that I prefer on the M17X.

3. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Actually the panels originally had a semi-glossy finish, more matte than gloss. It could be that the previous owner used some kind of rubbing or polishing compound on the panels to achieve a glossy surface.

If the panels are covered in a lot of chips, you can always remove, sand, and spray with a spray paint can or take them to an auto-body shop and ask them to paint them for you with auto enamel.

deadsmiley likes this.
  4. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Double - Post

5. gkdel247

gkdel247 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have amd firepro m6100 & it's using amd radeon hd 8950 graphic drivers on my Alienware m15x & works well with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Doesn't play pc games properly on windows 10? I have installed amd firepro control center manually as it doesn't work properly on crimson. Cdrive, amd or ati, packages, apps, ccc2, core-static-net4, install it manually. Now play battlefield 4 & 1 & Hardline @ medium to ultra.

6. gkdel247

gkdel247 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes

I've Alienware m15x Intel i7-720QM at 8GB Ram using Red AMD FirePro M6100 at 2GB GDDR5 on Windows 7 Ultimate.

I'm only using FireGL V drivers but also have newer Radeon AMD HD 8950 drivers for newer PC games.

I'm only using 150w adaptor with centre pin removed but it throttles a lot. So am buying a 330w adaptor soon.

I can play Battlefield Hardline on Medium/High/Ultra but FPS is below 30. I got mine for £100 on eBay uk website. It was a good deal.

I'm also using ~ unlocked A09 Bios but when m15x amd firepro m6100 boots up, in bios doesn't show GPU. Just says ~ shadowed.

To play newer PC games, you'll need Radeon drivers & amd crimson only gives AMD HD 8950 drivers.

This really struggles on Battlefield Hard-line & you can't change graphics option? (Radeon drivers)

But using (firepro GL V drivers) will allow graphics change!

Titanfall works on both drivers at High settings. This PC multiplayer works really well with FPS above 40! & it's really smooth.

Loadout at Steam multiplayer PC games also shows 60 FPS. Well optimised!

But for some reason GTA V does play well on both drivers but on Radeon drivers it doesn't show some roads & sometimes they don't appear properly? Not sure why?

I only play Battlefield type of PC games, so not sure what DOTA 2, League of Legends or some of these other first person shooters would play like.

To be honest, am disappointed with ~ AMD FirePro M6100 ~ 3DMARK score at 3000? Never goes higher!

I would not recommend buying this graphics card!

Imagine at GPU clock 1075MHz it can't even go Ultra on Battlefield 4?

I think it's the 150w adaptor that creates this problem! But am not sure.

Alienware M15x
    Intel i7-720QM @ 1.6GHz Quad
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    AMD FirePro M6100 @ 2GB
    GPU clock @ 1075MHz
    Memory clock @ 1375MHz
    Shaders @ 768 Unified
    GPU ~ Saturn
    October 2013
    Dell (Red) mxm 3.0
    GPU temp 47°C/Gaming never goes higher then 60°C
    500GB HDD
    8GB Ram

Hope this information helps!

Am actually going to buy a nVidia GTX970M or GTX 780M because AMD don't support their graphics cards much & think nVidia does a better job at upgrading their GPU's.

I don't like the fact that FirePro M6100 has to change to AMD HD 8950 to play modern PC games & fails @ changing graphics settings & GTA V isn't supported? So what's the point in using Radeon drivers? If I can't play the PC games I like!

Am going back to nVidia but first I'll buy a 330w adaptor & check to see if that helps with throttling?

I still use my Red AMD FirePro M6100 @ 2GB GDDR5.

I've 2 drivers:

(1) AMD FirePro M6100
    (2) AMD Radeon HD 8950

I prefer using FirePro drivers but Battlefield 1 doesn't recognise it, so 2nd driver (Radeon) required when playing this!

7. gkdel247

gkdel247 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes it works!

Alienware M15x
    AMD FirePro M6100 @ 2GB
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    8GB Ram
    500GB HDD
    Unlocked A09 Bios

Drivers installed:

(1) AMD FirePro M6100
    (2) AMD Radeon HD 8950

Would recommend Radeon driver for Battlefield 1 & FirePro driver for Battlefield Hardline @ Medium settings @ 20+FPS. Plays really well!

Titanfall multiplayer @ High settings @ 40FPS & Loadout (Steam PC game) @ High settings @ 60FPS.

8. MZWiZard

MZWiZard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Edit: Three first links in first post doesnt work - and the videos in the bottom neither.

9. timoid

timoid Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

I have the m15x, acquired second hand for probably more than I should have paid.

List of upgrades:
    940XM CPU
    16G RAM
    960G SSD
    HD5870M.

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks - I was able to upgrade the stock 260M to the 5870M with help from these forums. (Anyone who's done the A01 VBIOS to A00 VBIOS will understand) :)

10. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Latest bios is A09. M15x doesn't have a system vbios hence its unrivaled GPU upgrade-ability and compatibility.