*OFFICIAL* M15x Owners Lounge - Part 5 (see post #1 for links)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by BatBoy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. STiHiaL

STiHiaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, can someone help me to figure out where to put thermal pads on K4000M and what thickness of pads should be? For now i have only stock 0.5mm pads on VRAM and 1mm pads on VRAM on another side of the card.

Attached Files:

2. masterlink2002

masterlink2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    not sure about the thickness of thermal pads thinking the .5s would go on the silver parts and the 1s on the vram

3. alienisme

alienisme Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    found this on ebay. it has 9-cell battery :( It's too late for me to see it :( and it only ship to U.S :(

4. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The stock green pads are actually around .75mm in size. I think .5mm pads are too thin to make proper contact. 1mm pads should work for the VRAM and VRMs but every card is a bit different so you may want to get both 1mm and 1.5mm sizes. Get some decent pads like Arctic Cooling brand. Try to stay away from cheap generic pads. I find they don't compress at all and are not sticky enough to adhere properly to components. If the pad compresses well, 1.5mm can be used because the pressure from the heatsink will shape them around the components. Pads that don't compress well and are too thick will obstruct the heatsink's heat spreader from making contact with the GPU die.

I uploaded your pic and outlined where pads are supposed to go. Basing it on my results with the M15X and the AMD 7970M and Nvidia 460M GTX, the red section should be using 1mm to 1.5mm pads, and the blue section should be using 5-6mm pads . The blue section consists of transistors which are supposed to be cooled as well, but most people don't bother cooling them. Not sure how hot they actually get on these cards, but I'd rather play it safe and put some pads on them too.

How did you put pads on the underside of the card? I wanted to do this on my 460m GTX but the MXM slot has some big openings so pads would not make contact where the underside VRAMs are.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
  6. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can't add an msata ssd to the M15X mini pci-e slots. They are mini pci-e slots, but they are not msata slots and are not wired to the Sata bus. Not sure how the egpu would work though. I think most of those systems require integrated Intel graphics to work, which the M15X doesn't have.

fatboyslimerr likes this.
  7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    but the eGPU can output to an external monitor?

8. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think it can. I was looking into these a while back and I think they required Intel graphics to display to the native display, but I think to an external monitor it should work. There are also egpu systems that work with the expresscard slot. Something like this:

http://www.dx.com/p/exp-expresscard...pci-e-16x-interface-black-412508#.VuecTOaLmM8

9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    But the expresscard would be considerably slower, no?

10. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations: