*OFFICIAL* M15x Owners Lounge - Part 5 (see post #1 for links)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by BatBoy, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlemamamia

littlemamamia Newbie

Reputations:
    The graphics card I have is : nVida Gforce GXT 260M
    the resolution I am currently using is : 1600 x 900

would you still suggest upgrading the graphics card? Also, how hard is it to install the quad core i7-920XM?

2. gotmilk70

gotmilk70 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The GTX 260M should be fine unless you don't max out all the settings at that resolution. If your budget permits, you can upgrade your GPU to something more faster and you wouldn't have to worry about most current games lag at all with max or ultra settings. You can get something like the 7970/8970M froim AMD which are cheaper than the nVidia counterparts. A lot of people have success with those cards here. If you are interested in the nVidia brand, you can go with a 675M/680M/770M/780M, but those cards require driver mods and disabling onboard sound if I'm not mistaken. Plus those cards are more expensive.

At this point, your CPU would be also okay for Sims 3, because that game is designed to even run on much older machines. But if you decide to upgrade your GPU, then the i7-620 would be a cripple. The 920XM/7970M combo seems to be a fan favorite here and would pretty much seal most high end games on high/ultra settings. Both the processor and graphics card are pretty easy to set up. Just make sure you have thermal paste like IC Diamond 24 for the CPU/GPU die and some thermal pads for the mofsets/vram chips. There are guides on the net on where to put the pads.

If you do decide to upgrade the CPU/GPU, and plan on keeping it at stock/regular speeds, the 150W PSU should be fine. However, it would be in your best interest to get a very cheap l-shaped adapter (Can be found on amazon/ebay for less than $10) which allows for the PSU to supply as much power as it can. Your 150W PSU may supply 200W~ with this. If there is not enough power, the system will slow down the GPU/CPU (Throttle it). The 7970M is a 100W card and with the 920XM overclocked (It would be a waste to not OC it) power usage can hit 220-260W+.! If you get a new GPU, you would kinda need to OC your 920XM.

So if you plan on overclocking both the GPU and CPU, (Which if you do decide to....it would be smart to do so.) I would suggest at least getting a 210W+ PSU with an L-Shaped adapter. Also, if you upgrade to a 920XM, you can also add faster 1333Mhz Ram. Which would provide even faster results. I understand that all this stuff may be costly, so work whatever you can fit on your budget,

You can also buy as you can go. The fact is, these configurations, like mine below for example even rival some of the newer AW models today. There is still plenty of horsepower on these machines. Even though you may only play the Sims 3, Sims 4 is around the corner and if you have a more powerful laptop...you may be inclined to use it for more than you thought! This not only boosts the game, but overall performance of the laptop. Hope this helps.

3. masterlink2002

masterlink2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    help. I recently got an M15x and it freezes up completely when i try and play any games. what would cause this? I just changed the thermal compound to arctic silver mx2 and kept it nice and thin like one should but the system seems to die when i run any program it just locks up and does nothing.

4. fatboyslimerr

fatboyslimerr Alienware M15x Fanatic

Reputations:
    Have you checked temperatures? Try HWInfo64 or MSI Afterburner to monitor temperatures. Which graphics card have you got?

5. Ilakkiaselvan

Ilakkiaselvan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Today my GTX260M stopped working after 3 years of use , i am planning on buying a new notebook and want to hold on to M15x as secondary . Need a suggestion on the GPU , read a lot of threads here on upgrades and i am more confused i am not a pro gamers i rarely play games , but i use lot of Adobe creative software's , i don't mind getting back 260M again, but i feel like i can upgrade to bit more powerful. I never replaced a GPU before so looking for a hassle free GPU that doesn't need any custom mods etc.. just plug and play which one will it be better .

6. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow... I just saw a tumbleweed roll through here.

Anyway, what's the poop on BIOS upgrades. I have two M15x laptops. One is on A03 the other is on A05. I know that A09 is the latest.

1) Which version is the "best" BIOS?
    2) Can I go straight to A0x, skipping all the rest?

EDIT: I found my answer here.
    HELP required! Upgrading Bios from A01 to A09 on M15x

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. sashimi101

sashimi101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should go to A09 on your m15x as thats the absolute latest and final BIOS build for the machine.
    But, if it aint broke dont fix it?
    Personally i am on A09.

8. GHOST.M15X

GHOST.M15X Newbie

Reputations:
    Hei guys, I own a alienware m15x with a i7-720qm and gtx 260m. I also have 8gb ddr3 ram @1333ghz.
    The question is: Can i upgrade the GPU with a amd firepro m6100?

Ps: Sry for may bad englisch:))

9. masterlink2002

Reputations:
    Im not to sure on that that is a good question.

10. masterlink2002

Reputations:
    Doesn anyone know if say i were to drop an radeon r9 m290x in my M15x it would work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.