*OFFICIAL* M15x Owners Lounge - Part 5 (see post #1 for links)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by BatBoy, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatboyslimerr

fatboyslimerr Alienware M15x Fanatic

Reputations:
    I can't help but feel this has been written a hundred times before but here goes:

You can upgrade the old M15x massively to the point where you can run brand new games on highest settings.
    I'm currently running my i7 940xm at 3Ghz and my 7970M at 900Mhz Core and 1450Mhz Memory. This combination can run Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed IV: BF, Crysis 3, Metro 3 all on very high settings with my just a few post processing features turned down.

Every single component of your M15x is holding you back. You'd need to upgrade to an i7 Clarksfield Processor, get a recent graphics card such as GTX 680m or AMD 7970M and more RAM as well as an SSD.
    Total cost could be in excess of $500-700 depending on your choices. If you're willing to splash the cash the M15x can definitely keep you going for a few more years.

Based on how much you'd have to upgrade, it might be better to get a new gaming laptop with faster wifi, SATA-III and other new technologies.

2. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    I believe the same, sometimes it's just not worth the hassle vs getting a new PC.

3. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is the condition of the chassis? Mine ain't great! Might be interested if you intend to scrap! :) 1080p? A09 latest bios?

4. gotmilk70

gotmilk70 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    King's right! As you can see in my signature, I can attest to this. I spent probably close to $1,000 on all this hardware, but I guarantee that if Dell was to release something like this in a modern form...it would reach $2k+!

5. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Although the 780m and 880m do work fine I was wrong there ;)

On the go from my iPod touch

6. inap

inap .........................

Reputations:
    hey guys, does anyone happen to have a copy of my thermal paste guides. just realized they aren't available anymore and my backup hard drive that i save it on has failed. just gave me a pm, thanks.

7. inap

inap .........................

Reputations:
    hey guys, does anyone happen to have a copy of my thermal paste and gpu replacement guide . just realized they aren't available anymore and my backup hard drive that i save it on has failed. just gave me a pm, thanks.

8. littlemamamia

littlemamamia Newbie

Reputations:
    Newbie here,

I have a m15x with the following specs:
    Hard Drive - 500GB SATAII 7,200RPM
    Memory - 6GB DDR3 at 1066MHz
    Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-620M 2.66GHz (3.33Ghz Turbo Mode, 4M cache)
    Optical Drive - Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

I really only use this laptop to play sims 3 (i know, i know get the laughs out now) but my game seriously lags and freezes....a lot. I want to add a HDD caddy with this ssd (Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 250 GB Sata 2.5-Inch ) and I read this tutorial http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...drive-hdd-caddy-installation-56k-warning.html which shows how to add a HDD caddy but its so old that none of the pictures show and ive searched online and cant seem to find a video on how to install this. Also which caddy should I be using, the one in the tutorial is $40 or so and there seem to be many universal caddy available for $10 or so now.

So i guess to sum up what im asking is :

- Do I have the correct SSd for my m15x (Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 250 GB Sata 2.5-Inch )?
    - which HDD caddy should i purchase?
    - Is there an updated tutorial for the m15x with pictures or a video to install my hdd caddy?
    - Also, how long should this process take?

9. gotmilk70

gotmilk70 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lagging and freezing can be the result of many different things. SSD's will only cure load times. What kind of graphics card do you have? What resolution and settings do you use? You have a great SSD, and I would use that as your primary drive for all your Windows stuff and games. I would use the original 500GB HDD in the caddy as your backup drive for storage.

As for what caddy you need, I think others here would be more helpful then me, because I have not installed a caddy onto my M15X. It would take at least 15-20mins+ I think. That also depends on your skill level and if you know your M15x in and out. I'm sure there is a video on youtube on how to replace the optical drive in the M15x. (same as the ODD caddy)

There are other things you can do to increase performance on your M15x. You can look into getting a quad core i7-920XM (around $200), which would also allow you to use up to 16GB DDR-III @ 1333Mhz RAM. You can also upgrade your GPU to something like the AMD 7970/8970M or the nVidia GTX 680-780M. These stuff may be pricey, but that would solve your lag problem a lot better than adding a SSD.

Having an SSD would make the pc boot quicker, and apps load quicker, but once they are loaded....it's up to the CPU+GPU+RAM to do it's job and process the data the SSD feeds it. Hope this helps.

10. fatboyslimerr

fatboyslimerr Alienware M15x Fanatic

Reputations:
    Took me an hour to totally dissemble M15x following YouTube teardown video. It's very fiddly and there are a ridiculous number of screws so be careful but its definitely worth it.

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.