*OFFICIAL* M15x Owners Lounge - Part 5 (see post #1 for links)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by BatBoy, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moparjr

moparjr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would a gtx 460m for 140 be a good deal?

2. khetik

khetik Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn't think so, I bought my 5850m for around that price like 1.5-2 years ago. It'll be an upgrade from the 5730 you have but not really future proofing. Better off saving a bit to get a higher end/more current gen card.

3. moparjr

Reputations:
    any body know how do get xp to work on an m15x? i want to play c&c zero hour but 7 is a pos and wont let me

4. ToxicTension

ToxicTension Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. moparjr

Reputations:
    ive tried every trick on the internet with no luck and ive tried it with 6 different computers all running 7 64 bit and all of them had more then capable hardware to play it

6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm just curious if there are any collectors of Alienware systems who may have a new Alienware M15x. Perhaps not factory sealed, but in new condition. I joined the Alienware 'arena' only last year and have learned so much among the Alienware community. People collect all kinds of things, why not a laptop? It would be cool to see, in my opinion, as I've never actually seen one in person. I've even considered buying one, but I don't think I will.

Anyway, thanks for your time. Hope to see some pics of a shiny new Alienware M15x.

J.Dre

7. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    I also wondered this, I considered buying one instead of a 17. 15inch is the perfect size. To bad they don't make them anymore!

8. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well. Pretty sure you could find a refurbished almost new condition one somewhere pretty easily..

They don't make the M15x anymore because they figured the M14x with soldered GPU (which is their bestseller) would make them more money.

They were right. Wanna know why? Here we go.

An M15x can be specced to date with;

I7 920/40xm good for 3.2-3.3ghz across all cores landing it still with the big boys.
    16GB of 1333mhz DDR3 ram
    Any GPU you want except 780M due to high power requirements. That means 7970M,8970M and 680M.

This relic can still compete with current 15" offerings. There is simply no money to be made making a new one when the 5 year old one still runs everything fine! Plus the fact no one would buy the M14x...

gotmilk70 and fatboyslimerr like this.
  9. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm just wondering if there are any Alienware collectors around these forums with some old systems. I looked around eBay and found some, but they're not exactly what I'm hoping to find.

I'm not wanting to buy, I'm just wanting to see some pics or something. I doubt there are many out there, but there has to be a few.

10. ejlersen

ejlersen Newbie

Reputations:
    hallo there guys. have been reading around on the site and else where. this seems to be the perfekt place to ask.

i have an old m15x. and its still alive. barely. i slow on start up and when i play games is just doesnt perform good anymore. it used too but.

i main use it to play world of warcraft. and at lowest settings i get a max for 30 fps. dropping to 10-15 when something happens on screen.

specs are as follows

I3-330M 2.1 ghz
    4 gb ddr3 ram 1333mhz
    nvidia 260m
    250 gb hdd 5400 rpm

any thougts on what might be the big factor here?. should i upgrade or scrap?

thx in advance :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.