*OFFICIAL* M14x R2 Owner's Lounge Thread - READ BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

1. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    Since my m17xr4 died, I have been using my m14xr2 allot more. Been playing titanfall on it. Got it set on lowest settings, but still over heating :( still running the original thermal paste though. Going to repaste this coming monday.

2. jmore1

jmore1 Newbie

Reputations:
    You definately should repaste man I just did mine today and it so much cooler Ive had it on for 8 hours straight and it hardly got warm lol. Clean your fan also dust in there tends to be another issue. Good luck

3. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    Yeah, my fans are all clear of dust.
    Started to take it apart on lunch to do a repaste, but put it backtogether to play some games instead.... going to paste it this weekend.

my 17x ran soo cold after I did the repaste.

4. RichardBergis

RichardBergis Newbie

Reputations:
    Having an issue my wifi keeps going to "limited access" when i stream you tube or visit certain sites, it only stays that way for a few minutes then comes back on?

5. Alienware-Wasserman

Alienware-Wasserman Company Representative

Reputations:
    Try updating your BIOS and then Removing and Reinstalling the Driver. See if that helps.
    Let me know how it goes.

6. axlastro

axlastro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys. I have a few questions about the M14xr2.
    1. It's very loud and the fan makes a whistling noise - any way to remedy that? Maybe remove the fan and clean it and add some lubricant? Repaste?
    2. The sound disappears and reappears after reboot - It's a known issue, but maybe someone found a way to cure that as well?
    3. I can only use the Display Port for the Nvidia 650M - I want to know if there's any way to make the HDMI use the Nvidia card as well or is it a hardware thing? I want to disable the Intel Graphics as it messes with a software I'm using.

7. simonmpoulton

simonmpoulton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1 - Clean the heatsink will get the fan running at a lower speed, as for the whistling you will need to replace the fan as this is a sign of a problem with the fan bearing
    2. Update the BIOS - if the sound stops working you just have to disable the creative sound in device manager then reenable it and it will work again
    3. There's no way to change this behaviour.

8. axlastro

axlastro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have sold it but thanks anyway

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

9. pomx

pomx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!
    Recently my M14xR2 has been under performing where I get usually 30 FPS in games. I thought that upgrading the ram would help with this. I'm looking to upgrade my RAM to 16 GB (2x8GB), and there are so many different options (brands). Would appreciate any suggestions for my ram upgrade!

10. nicholaslimck

nicholaslimck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A RAM upgrade is unlikely to give you any noticeable performance boost in games. The limiting factor is most likely your GPU, and that cannot be upgraded. You may want to lower your graphics settings or check your temperature levels; if your laptop is reaching its thermal limit, it will automatically throttle components to avoid overheating. It may be time to replace your thermal paste, clear out dust in the fan, etc.

However, if you really want to upgrade your RAM, make sure the RAM is compatible with your laptop. I believe the M14x R2 only supports DDR3 RAM, but you should check to confirm.