*OFFICIAL* M14x Owner's Lounge Thread - READ BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by BatBoy, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazygabe

crazygabe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It will run on Max settings on 720/900p but with lower on 1080p

2. Cero89

Cero89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wait, wait.. My M14x is the R1, I don't have 1080p just 900 as a maximum.. It will still work fine?? Thanks for your answer anyway..

3. crazygabe

crazygabe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the R1

4. Alienware-Luis_Pardo

Alienware-Luis_Pardo Guest

Reputations:
    Yeah 900p would be the max resolution with your M14x, he probably meant a 1080p external monitor or TV. However if you have the 3gb version you may have some luck with that as more video ram will help render higher resolutions.

5. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've been trying to track down a replacement battery for the 14xR1 (11xR3 or 14xR2 should be fine as well - same batt). I've only been able to locate it online from suppliers other than Dell. Today I asked Dell via the Sales Chat why the part wasn't available on the site - none of the compatible batts are appearing. Response I received was:

Does anyone know how long this has been going on? From what I've been able to locate via searching, the batt was having "stock issues" going back to mid 2012.

I'll most likely order it from Dell since I don't trust any of the third party sites when it comes to batteries... :(

6. RPM MX

RPM MX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I have my first Alienware laptop, an M14x. I traded it for my 2 year old macbook air. Great computer, it has the i7 3610qm chip, gt650m 2gb, 16gb ram, 750gb hd, and the 768p screen. I think it's a great laptop overall however I am disappointed with the screen quality. Ive played around with colour settings a lot but ultimately it just doesn't seem like a super great screen. I was thinking about doing an upgrade to a 900p screen from screencountry. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it just a screen that is interchangeable if you pull apart the monitor? I spoke briefly with alienware but they wanted to sell me a whole top lid assembly. Any comments or advice on this? Also, it looks like you can get a matte finish screen (currently sold out though), but I don't know how much of a difference that would make since the screen cover is glossy.

I love Dell laptops overall, my main work laptop is a precision m6600 with 2860qm chip, 16gb ram, firepro m8900, 128gb system boot, 750gb data drive, 1080p matte screen, it's a real powerhouse. I still have an inspiron 9400 as well with the 7900gs, core 2 duo 2.16, and just upgraded it to a ssd drive. For a 6 year old laptop it can still do some decent low res gaming.

7. RPM MX

Reputations:
    Hey, so I ordered a 900p screen from screencountry.com. Expecting to receive it tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can upgrade from the 768p screen by simply replacing the lcd/screen panel. It's only $62, and if it doesn't work/fit I can return it. I couldn't find any info on the internet about if you can upgrade the screen by simply swapping in another lcd so I'm going to just give it a shot, hopefully it works. I'll let everyone know details so at least I can put to rest whether it is doable or not to upgrade the resolution. Going off the youtube video some guy made for some guidance on how to replace it. Looks pretty straightforward. The 768p screen really is pretty bad so I'm eager to upgrade it.

8. RPM MX

Reputations:
    Ok, for the record, you CAN upgrade the resolution of the M14x R2 by only replacing the LCD panel. I got my Alienware 14x, 3610 qm, gt 650m 2gb, 16 gb ram, but with the AWFUL 768p screen, as I bought it used. I looked all over the internet for a full dell display replacement but that was typically the whole top screen casing including the frame, etc, and was often over $300 CDN on ebay. I ordered a 900p screen from screencountry.com, $60 CDN, glossy version as they didn't have any matte finish ones in stock. Well, all I did was unplug the old lower res screen and plug in the new one and it immediately worked when I booted up. I was very careful to take off the plastic alienware screencover however I cracked it slightly on the black frame at the bottom as the bottom of the screen where the alienware symbol was had been glued with a stick tape material to the lcd panel. Luckily it's a tiny crack, I also broke a couple little tabs but the cover still stays on fine. I followed the video on youtube someone had posted for their repair and it sure helped. Overall the new screen quality difference is like night and day, the higher res screen is SO much better. The screen has 1 green stuck pixel but once you're using the laptop at a normal distance you don't notice it otherwise screen is perfect and I'm not going to try and get a better one. I also downloaded the notebookcheck icc profile and the colours look great. Anyone who is thinking about doing this, go for it!

9. morphin1

morphin1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for this guide. Installed a SSD and removed the bloatware, and wow is there a difference. Earlier I had to wait for 5mins after boot to use the Laptop not anymore :)

10. Nalada

Nalada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wondering if anyone has any ideas where to look for the cause of the following symptoms:

An original M14X (1.5GB video memory) is exhibiting very poor video performance and Windows Aero is disabled.
    The cause appears to be related to the fact that the Desktop has become 2624x1360 (as seen by a screenshot of the desktop). The actual built-in LCD screen is providing a viewport onto this desktop showing the bottom right hand part.
    At one point the event log showed
    "Video hardware error"
    "A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly"
    "LiveKernelEvent"
    Locale ID: 1033

The screen resolution is set to the recommended 1600x900 resolution (32 bits) and no higher resolution is offered. Toggling it to something else and back again doesn't help.

At one point it is reported that the NVIDIA video had disappeared from Device Manager.
    Both NVIDIA drivers and Intel drivers have been reloaded.
    Both appear to be working (e.g. the optional system tray icon turns coloured when looking at the rotating 3D test in the NVIDIA Control Panel)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.