Official M-6862 & M-6864FX owners thread

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by slayerfaith1982, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AtlanticFalcon

AtlanticFalcon Newbie

Reputations:
    Increased my FPS 6 times greater than it was!

A search on how to overclock my M6862 led me to this page and it certainly has some great ideas and I wanted to give something back.

After reading this morning about Overclocking I downloaded some of the linked software and started to play. My goal was to increase my FPS in games, namely World of Warcraft. Sitting in a LA-Z-Boy chair with my legs up and the machine on my lap is not conducive to cool temps.

To shorten the story; while playing with overclock settings I saw just how easily this machine is affected by an increase in temperature. I realized that getting better FPS may just be directly linked to temp and not so much overclocking the machine....yes, Im a noob.

So, I kept reading about how to lower temps. I read reviews on some laptop pads with fans and found one that had OK reviews. I dashed to Walmart and bought a Belkin Cool Elevate pad with a single fan for a whopping $20.

Now, temps did drop but when under extreme circumstances the machine would still climb to over 80C and my FPS would tank.

I read above about someone drilling extra holes for more airflow and while that scared me, it did give me an idea.

By removing the cover on the bottom and then placing the unit on the coolpad and then onto my lap I saw astonishing results.

FPS in the Warcraft city of Dalaran went from 6FPS to 38FPS. Dalaran is know for its drain on most machines and is a great benchmark to test.

FPS in any other area of Warcraft was 60+

Temps? Never got above 60, ever.

Sitting here typing this, the temp is 22C. My crotch is frikkin freezing but my Gateway is cool.

Now, of course I have to be careful when I pick this unit up and make sure my hands dont go into the open slot where the fan is but the Belkin pad has such a short cord, you have to pick both it and the machine up as one anyway.

So, for $20 and a turn of the screw I increased my FPS 6 times what it was.

I can only imagine how this would affect Crysis or CoD or any other graphically intensive game. I run WoW on max settings BTW.

So there you have it, my small contribution. Hopefully it helps someone out of the same jam I was in. Oh, and as far as overclocking....dont need to now :)

2. martee

martee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. martee

martee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Check these covers...

http://www.laptopking.com/kingpartdetails.asp?ref=2553&category=misc

4. CompUG

CompUG Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How long does your battery last? Mine last an 1hr and 30mins without wifi on, since i use a Ethernet at my dorm, on high performance. Shouldn't it last longer??..

5. JustinNotJason

JustinNotJason Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It'll last longer if it's not on high performance.
    I think 90mins is pretty good for high performance. The real battery drain is the backlight. Thing eats up battery time.

6. krazyphire

krazyphire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine lasts for roughly 2hrs and 50mins

7. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi KP,

Long time no talk. Just out of curiosity ... do you stay plugged into the wall all the time with the Battery running ...

I used to cycle the Battery thru ... charge it to 100% ... run on it until 20% and charge it back up again ... then talking to some of the folks on the Forums ... I came to the Conclusion of just leaving the darn thing plugged in and running all the time! Less cycling!

G!:)

8. CompUG

CompUG Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How?? Is anyone having HDD problems, last week my HDD was 145 and now its 132 like at times it goes up and down without DL or deleting anything. Some people have said its Vista and Shadow copy can it be that??

9. krazyphire

krazyphire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope. I charge it to 96-100% then unplug and let it run. I usually bring it closer to the critical 12% range so I can make sure the battery is reading the charge left correctly. It might not be healthy, but its the only way I can be sure of the actual amount of battery life left.

EDIT: I read you installed a bluetooth module into your M-6862. Which one did you install and what cover did you remove to add it in? :)

My battery life is I guess" high" because I replaced the T5750 with a T8300 Penryn which can be ridiculously underclocked and already consumes less power. I also dim the screen and turn off the LED lights.

10. steelcurtain11

steelcurtain11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, I've owned the m-6862 for a fwe months now.
    When i first got the laptop and i was playing WOW, i got around 80 fps in it when i was in low populated areas. Now I'm getting around the 25's.

I've upgraded the driver of the radeon 2600HD to whatever one gateway had, it was in 2008.

I saw a few pages back a link to a driver from 2009.
    this is the link: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...spx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.2&lang=English

i downloaded that, uninstalled the old driver, restarted, then tried installing that one, but after i install it nothing happens. it's like it doesn't detect it or anything. i tried using mobility modder to mod that, then reinstall it, but same thing.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Could anyone walk me through with exactly what to do(or point me to a diff. driver?, maybe i messed something up with it.

thanks

EDIT: nevermind i managed to get it to work, thanks for all the great info in this thread.

More Questions: This laptop get very very hot, so much that sometimes games will freeze up. I've taken the back off and have it on a cooling pad and it helps a little. What other ways can I get this laptop cooler without sacrificing gaming power.( i've tried rmclock to reduce the power input, but i wasn't fully understanding about certain things on it)

another one, i really love the 6864 fx case, is there anyway of switching out of this to get into that one? or any other type of case,LED,etc. mods. I like to customize lol.

thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.