Official M-6862 & M-6864FX owners thread

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by slayerfaith1982, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremyp111

jeremyp111 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Really? I had checked the motherboard specs and it lists it as being capable of 533/667/833mhz. Check out the link below. I may have to look into this a little further

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2008/TempestFX/4006270R/4006270Rsp2.shtml

2. krazyphire

krazyphire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi KP ... how long have you had the T8300!?!?

A T9300 ... what would you gain with that. I am not Gamer ... so!

But I do a lot of Video Stuff ... encoding and recombination ... just hobby type ... so if I am going from CD/DVD player then I guess I am bottlenecked at our DVD Player at 8X ... so no matter what my CPU is ... it can read only that fast ...

Unless if I go with an External which then I don't know what my USB limit would be.

So, for the biggest $$$ bang if one wants to upgrade from T5750 ... what would next logical CPU be?

I suppose changing my CPU will then void my 3 year GeekSquad Warranty!

Thanks,

G!:)

4. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

Q1: Has anyone connected a Printer to the M-6862?

I have a high speed printer that it has a DB25 Male output ... so I was thinking about using a "DB25 Female to DB9 Male Cable" and connect thru the Serial Port of the laptop. But this type of connector usually is used for COMM stuff ... so I am not sure if it will work with the Printer?

Q2: Does anybody know if the above DB25 to DB9 will work or not!?!?

Thanks,

5. krazyphire

krazyphire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With a T9300 you gain better battery life, lower temps and chassis heat, better performance from CPU intensive programs like when video encoding. This is due to the new SSE4.1 instruction set.

If you really do a lot of video stuff then the Penryn T9300 would definitely be better for you than the T8300 which are both leaps and bounds ahead of the merom T5750.

Changing the CPU will not void the Geeksquad warranty because as long as you change the T5750 back in before taking the laptop for repair they would never know. :)

6. jeremyp111

Reputations:
    If your printer's connection is a DB25 serial connection then this should work with a DB25 to DB9 adapter. In the printer properties on the ports tab is where you would select the comm port for your serial printer. I believe you will have to set up the printer manually.
    Hope this helps.

JP

7. makitaki

makitaki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does your webcam work after the upgrade to Windows 7? I updated a few days ago (x64, of course), and now my webcam doesn't want to work for anything. The built-in software says "graph render fail", and I've tried re-installing the drivers, but nothing works. Gateway.com has older drivers than I originally had though, it seems?

:( I want my webcam back!

8. jeremyp111

Reputations:
    makitaki, my webcam is working just fine in Windows 7. I just tested it out by taking a picture.

JP

9. alex666

alex666 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have people used a 7200rpm drive in the m-6862? I ask, because there is the pretty highly rated WD Scorpio drive at a very good price at newegg, like $90, and I would be interested in installing Windows7 on this machine. I installed W7 on one of my home machines using an old raptor hdd I have and so far I really like it, very fast. It might be fun to install on this machine, W7 64-bit. On my home machine, all my hardware was recognized except for my wireless network card, though I'm not surprised by that as it's sort of an obscure card.

Here's the link to the hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

marty

10. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi KP,

THANKS! Yeah I do a lot of video encoding ...

I wish I had never paid the $129.99 for the Geek Squad warranty ... I don't really think I will ever need it with this laptop ... it keeps ticking just fine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.