Official M-6862 & M-6864FX owners thread

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by slayerfaith1982, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gecko

gecko Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Time for Gateway to replace my mobo.

The laptop will randomly completely freeze if I insert 1GB microSD cards, or 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo cards in. It literally fully freezes, no response form anything. I have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds for it to shutoff. Then I can't turn the laptop on for 10 minutes. If I push the power button, the power lights come on, the fan blows and the cd rom light flashes, but nothing else. The LCD screen doesn't even light up.

I hope it'll also clear up the whining in the headphone port.

btw, has anybody had Gateway replace the mobo yet? How does this work? Do you have to pay for shipping to them?
    I'd rather have them ship me the mobo and instructions so I can replace it. I want to find that bluetooth port.

2. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi gecko,

Are you sure is your mobo. Have checked your RAM sticks .... trying swapping them or even just leave one in ...

BTW, how old is your laptop now?

Good thing I bought the 3 year BB plan!

G!:)

3. gecko

gecko Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I seriously doubt its ram. Why would memory cards be connected to ram? Also why would the computer not even reach the POST screen when I turn it back on? I thought it maybe Vista, but that shouldn't lock up the entire laptop. Nothing but the power button works when it freezes. Software wouldn't explain the inability to boot correctly.
    Btw, these memory cards work perfectly fine on my other laptops.

I almost picked up the SquareTrade warrenty plan, but decided against it since the laptop was so cheap.

4. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi Gecko,

I suggested that RAM sticks ... becuase buddy of mine hada similar problem ... the laptop would not even boot up and long and behold was Bad RAM ... I guess the laptop wouldn't even initialize due to memory deal.

I almost not get the $129.99 three year Warranty myself either since I only paid less than $430 for it out the door ... so I couldn't see myself paying for a warranty costing me 30% of my laptop price.

But talking to the Gurus on NBR they talked me into getting it for a peace of mind. So, I psyched myself that the darn laptop actually cost me $560 ... which initally did cost me that much before I pulled the $100 HSI stunt and Match Price deal.

Anyway, please post back here your outcome ... I am sure other folks here be interested in this.

G!:)

5. woodchuck69

woodchuck69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine is working awesome. Ran a Vista Ultimate upgrade on it and blew out that D partition and joined it to the C so I have one contiguous drive.

I wonder who does Gateway tech support nowdays.

6. oscar2k23

oscar2k23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    anyone have the webcam drivers for vista 64bit?

7. mirinda2go

mirinda2go Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, a quick question: what (free) program do you recommend me to eliminate de D:\ partition? I want to join it with my C:\ partition... and Acronis Disk Director doesn't work with Vista :(

8. mirinda2go

Reputations:
    I think this is it:
    support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21674&dscr=Webcam%20Driver%20Package%20Version:%20Webcam%20Driver%206.2.218.524,%20Camera%20Assistant%201.7.049.0927&uid=212975025

9. E-wrecked

E-wrecked BANNED

Reputations:
    mirinda, why not run disk management in Vista? You are using vista, right? If so, go to start..type msconfig, then tools, and choose to launch computer management. Under Disk Management right click and delete D:, then right click and extend c: :)

10. mirinda2go

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot! I'll try that and post the results :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.