Official M-6862 & M-6864FX owners thread

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by slayerfaith1982, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naruto8u

Naruto8u Newbie

Reputations:
    Yea when i closed the lid, it does goes into sleep. and yes i noticed that i have to push the power button and hold it for a second. It went to sleep b4 when i closed the lid and majority of the time i was able to wake it up with the power button. But this freezing problem happend even when it was on. It happen when i watch Anchorman. Aso i was doing all this while the ac adapter was plug in.

2. JustinNotJason

JustinNotJason Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So what you're saying is it really doesn't serve any real purpose, after all the backups are made?

I suppose if I really wanted to be safe I could burn the partition to a DVD or 2 and have a back up of the partition or put it on an External HDD, no?

I just hate to delete something that could be potentially helpful in the future, and I want the penguin goodness :D

3. gecko

gecko Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea. the DVDs should just be copies of what's on that partition.

I do old school backup and just periodically ghost my entire HD.

4. JustinNotJason

Reputations:
    Thats not a bad idea but I'm assuming you ghost it to an external HDD which I lack.

When you mean the DVD's should be copies of whats on the partition you mean the back up DVD's that are supposed to be made (I did make them) when you first get the computer?

5. gecko

Reputations:
    This is driving me nuts. But that hissing/crackling sound from the headphone port is just incredibly loud. I went to best buy and checked the Gateway's that they have, and there is no hissing at all.

Do you guys have a fairly noticeable crackling? It doesn't seem to be connected to anything (HD access, wireless). Its just a constant white noise crackling.

6. JustinNotJason

Reputations:
    I don't really hear any hissing or crackling outside of the very low, normal feedback. Try playing with the plug, pulling the headphone jack alittle or pushing it in alittle more.

Beyond that, I can only suggest is try different sound drivers.

7. gecko

Reputations:
    I just realized what that whine/hiss/crackling is. Its the processor's whine/hiss/crackling being transmitted over the headphonne jack.

Put your ear close to the center of the keyboard. You might hear a that whine from the processor.

If you don't hear it, then I'm calling gateway for warranty service.

8. jeremyp111

jeremyp111 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't hear anything at all when I put my ear to the keyboard.

9. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi gecko,

Darn ... you have Super sensitive ears! I actually tested my Headphone Jack with small earplugs (but good quality) ... and no Whine or Hiss sound ... However, I did put my ear to the Center of laptop like you asked ... and there is some sort of Sound like something is working (probably like you said ... the CPU) ...

But if it is Bugging the heck out of you ... get hold of Gateway ... might be specific to your laptop.

BTW, what kind of Headsets are you using!?!?

G!:)

10. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi folks,

My Gateway M-6862 AC Battery Charger gets awfully warm and even smells like it is getting awfully HOT!!!

Q1: Anybody else feels that their Charger is getting too Hot? Or is it just my Charger?

Q2: For the Gamers ... what do you guys use to bypass the Keyboard? I have gotten this game from a friend "BloodRayne 2" and tapping those keys like mad man ... I am concerned that my Keyboard might go out pretty darn soon. So, can I use something else?

Thanks,

G!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.