***OFFICIAL***: iPad/iPad2 Accessories, Cases, Apps and "Magic" Thread.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by ajreynol, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Because one was needed. So let's jump right in.

Good resources for Apps:

Gizmodo's Essential Apps

Gizmodo Review Marathon [1] [2] [3]

App Craver

99 iPad App Reviews - Business Insider

iPad Application Reviews.com

Good resources for Cases:

iLounge Gallery

iPad Case Finder.com

iPad Cases

Good resources for Accessories:

iPad Accessories.com

iLounge iPad Accessories Reviews/Previews

Review of Apple-branded Accessories

Eco-Friendly iPad Accessories

iPad Speakers

iPad Stands

Popular Skins:

Zagg.com - Invisible Shield | Leather Skins

Wrapsol - Invisible Skin

NBR Recommended Apps:

Video/Television

Air Video - Streams your videos to your ipad. A must-have if you have lots of videos on your computer.

Netflix - Killer app for those interested in Netflix video streaming or who already have it.

ABC Player - Must-have for video streaming and hopefully a sign of things to come from services like Hulu.

Books and Comics

Bible HD - Solid Bible program. Lots of versions and easy to navigate.

Kindle/iBooks - Obvious. Both are pretty good. iBooks is prettier.

Alice (In Wonderland) - the future of books. that simple.

Marvel - A solid comic reader with a smattering of free titles. obviously its all marvel content.

Comic Zeal - The most popular of the Comic Book apps

PDF/File Readers

Goodreader - fantastic app when it comes to viewing small or large PDF's quickly and smoothly. PDFs can be transferred to device OUTSIDE of iTunes, making it a real winner. Review

Music

iElectribe - a Digital Electribe. Comes recommended. Good videos out there of people using it twell.

Magic Piano - Explore the piano as a neophyte or a trained pianist on the iPad. You can freestyle, duet, listen to the world or my favorite play a song from the song book as lead by the app.

News/Journalism

NPR - If you enjoy NPR, this is a must-have. Well designed app.

Reuters - Lots of news, well designed.

BBC News - Great news app, and well-developed.

Eyewitness - Beautiful pictures.

CNN - Really an iPhone app, but scales well on the iPad.

USA Today - Still the best example of how news/newspapers should be laid out on a large touchscreen device like the iPad

Games

Geometry Wars - the XBox Live original makes its way to the iPad in an excellent iteration of the popular franchise.

Koi Pond - Very good. Check it out.

Aurora Feint 3 - Excellent puzzle game.

Labyrinth HD - Good puzzle game. Free version available.

Plants vs. Zombies - One of the very best.

Real Racing HD - Fantastic graphics. iPad showpiece.

Keep up with other new games here!

Productivity

Apple Pages - A must-have if you plan on doing writing. Not perfect. Review

Apple Keynote - Solid PowerPoint-like app for the iPad. Video-out is valuable. Review

Apple Numbers - Spreadsheet app compatible with Excel. Review

Taska/Things - Very similar to-do apps, though Things is way more polished but is also 4x the price. I've only used Taska, which is very accomplished.
    Things Review

ToDo - Popular iPhone task manager makes the jump to iPad. It's good.

Filemaker Bento - organize all the parts of your life into one cohesive whole, in much the same way that a bento box can do for your lunch. Review

Art

Sketchbook Pro - Its no substitute for photoshop or painter, but Its a decent painting utility

Adobe Ideas - like sketchbook pro, but with less complexity/depth. free!

Brushes - Similar to sketchbook pro

Educational

Sky Walk - Maps, images and details of the stars. Hold it up to the night sky and the internal compass aligns itself to the sky above so that you can track stars, constellations, galaxies, etc. It's brilliant.

The Elements - Massive (file size) and rich application all about the periodic table of elements. Great to have as a show-piece, but pass if you don't really have a use for it in your life.

Solar Walk - Similar to Sky Walk, but more focused on our solar system. no compass-based overhead map of the stars.

Other

Perfect Browser - Simply put: a better browser for the iPad. Real tabs, easier to scroll long pages, solid features.

Photogene - Feature-rich photo editing software.

AOL instant messenger - Decent (free) instant messenger client

Wikipanion - Great iPad-styled interface for Wikipedia.

eBay for iPad - Fantastic interface for eBay. Very functional.

Instapaper - an iPhone/ iPad that allows you to use Safari on your iPad, iPhone, Mac or PC computer to save articles to their server...which, in turn, syncs with the Instapaper app on your iPad. this allows you to view all articles you selected to "Read Later" on your iDevice while offline! One of the most popular apps in the entire AppStore for a reason. a must-have. Review

iCab - another excellent alternate browser app.

Reeder - Simply the best RSS app in the App Store.

ajreynol's 5 (okay 8) most recommended apps (the App's I couldn't go without):

1.) Sky Walk (Astronomy) - It's just way too cool.

2.) Air Video (Video Streaming) - If your video library now features a lot of movies/videos on your computer, Air Video is beyond amazing. You MUST buy it. It alone is justification for an iPad

3.) ABC App - Unless ABC has no programming you're interested in, get it. It's free!

4.) iBooks - One of the selling points of the iPad, it's book usages are impressive.

5. & 6.) NPR & Reuters - sorry, I couldn't fit it into just 5. Both of these are my favorite news apps. Both rich, entertaining, and appreciable.

7.) Jump Desktop - Fantastic VNC app for logging into your Mac.

8.) Instapaper + Reeder - the killer-app combination for reading online articles and stories. Use Reader to organize and follow your favorite RSS feeds...then use Instapaper to save the articles you want to read later to your free Instapaper account for offline reading. Or just use Instapaper from your desktop/laptop to find articles you want to read from your iDevice later. all articles saved will be added to your online account which will sync to your iDevice. Brilliant.

NBR Member recommendations (accessories)

Piel Frama Cases

SGP Cases

Waterfield Designs - San Francisco

Apple Camera Kit

Apple Standard Case

So it begins. This OP will expand as NBR forumites recommend various apps. Hope you find this useful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. ajreynol

Reputations:
    I'll start off the personal reviews with my new case. I just received it today. Quick notes and pics below.

SGP Vintage iPad Case ($73 USD)
    SGP Leather Case Vintage Edition for Apple iPad

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

quick notes:

pros:
    • feels great on the pad.
    • very solid when closed.
    • stand mode works just fine.
    • flipped open, feels fine
    • nice leather finish.
    • looks fantastic.

con:
    • very "chemical-y" smell. if you were expecting the smell of leather..you will be disappointed. lol. when you put your nose to it, all you smell are chemicals.
    • might want to pick up some sort of leather protector to protect it from hand sweat/salt, but it may not be an issue. idk.

bottom line: keeper and winner.

3. ajreynol

Reputations:
    random thoughts:

-if you have an iPad and have apps you really enjoy, please post here with a little (or a lot of) information about them so that I can put that info in the opening post.

-if you have any apps that you're interested in having reviewed, let me know and I'll check them out.

4. ajreynol

Reputations:
    Okay, I have to add the review of this new app. I think anyone who enjoys RSS Readers will want to have on their iPad. Brand new app that just launched today:

Reeder for the iPad

[​IMG]

This app uses Google Reader to syncronize your RSS feeds. Pics after the jump. Not only is its design elegant, and fluid, but it can also work just like the photos app (spreading fingers to see the contents of your RSS feeds). You can save the articles to your Instapaper or Read It Later accounts...Twitter or a number of other social networking sites. I think this is my new favorite app, because it makes it so easy to work with and follow your favorite feeds. The integration into Instapaper is also shown in the pictures. the combination of Reeder + Instapaper (reading articles you save offline) are musts, in my opinion. they're too good individually to pass up...and even moreso together.

killer-apps, even.

basic user interface. available in portrait or landscape.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

view after you select a particular RSS feed:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

RSS preview snippet opens after selecting the RSS story you want to read about
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Utilizes the iPad's built-in Safari browser to open up the full page of the rss story.
    [​IMG]

social networking options:
    [​IMG]

...and how it works with Instapaper.
    [​IMG]

5/5. with ease. a must-have.

Supplemental articles about it:

Reeder for iPad: The Last RSS Reader You’ll Ever Need | iPhone.AppStorm

http://www.macstories.net/ipad/reeder-for-ipad-available-in-the-app-store/

Direct download link: http://ax.itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder-for-ipad/id375661689?mt=8

5. ajreynol

Reputations:
    a few new recommended cases added.

6. Jervis961

Jervis961 Hall monitor

Reputations:
    I prefer the Apple iPad case.

[​IMG]

Pros:

Fits perfectly
    Doubles as a stand

Cons:

Can't be used in conjunction with the dock
    No storage compartments

7. Jervis961

Jervis961 Hall monitor

Reputations:
    Apple camera kit for the iPad.

[​IMG]

The camera kit was one of the main reasons I bought an iPad and it does not disappoint. With two separate adapters (USB or SD) you have a great way to use the iPad as your on the go picture studio. Plug the adapter into the iPad connect your USB cable or SD card and the iPad automatically launches the photo program so you can import from the device at full resolution. You can choose to keep the pictures on the camera/SD card or clear them so you can take more photos. Once they are imported you can view your pictures on the iPad screen and delete any that you do not like or use an app (not included ;) ) to edit them. When you get home simply sync to your computer and download the pictures. Its a great way to quickly view, edit and share your pictures on the go.

I tested out the kit on a recent day out tubing with friends. I had a blast taking pictures with my Nikon D40x while trying to balance myself as my friend tossed the kids around on the tube. I ended up taking about 100 pictures and deleted obviously bad shots as the kids were climbing back on the tube after being tossed. When we took a break so the kids could swim for a while I tested out the SD adapter. It took a few minutes to download the pictures (10MP in RAW format) and then I was able to pull them for viewing. While I thought I had all the bad shots deleted, once I had them on the larger screen I deleted another 10 pictures that were slightly out of focus. I was then able to call everyone into the boat and show off for a couple of minutes before jumping in the water myself.

My friend wanted some pictures of his boat so I carefully waded in the shallows and took a few shots before we headed out for another round of tubing. This time I took almost 100 additional pictures and when we stopped again I tried out the USB adapter. Maybe I wasn't paying attention this time but it seemed to me that the USB was faster as transferring the photos. This time I had a little more fun and opened a picture in the Photogene app. I used the pencil filter and my friend went nuts for it. I also used the SD adapter and a miniSD to SD kit to swipe photos from my friend's cameras. That took a little extra effort as I had not pushed the miniSD card in far enough. Once I fixed it the pictures transferred just fine.

I plan on taking the iPad and camera kit to Alaska soon and will fill the iPad up in no time as I use it to view photos and clear out the SD card so i can take more pictures. For me the camera kit is my favorite accessory.

8. ajreynol

Reputations:
    sweet. added!

I'm definitely going to look into that camera kit. I picked up the VGA adapter, but haven't tired it out yet.

9. ajreynol

Reputations:
    Weather HD ($0.99)

[​IMG]

really pretty app. nice when your iPad is sitting next to your computer on your desk.

also,

WunderRadio ($6.99)

[​IMG]

easily the best radio app out there. also the "standard" for the iPhone.

10. Jervis961

Jervis961 Hall monitor

Reputations:
    Tried it out yet? I was thinking about picking one up for presentations.

I recently took a trip to Alaska and the camera kit worked great in helping me whittle down the over 2000 RAW shots I took to about 1200. In this case the majority were on a moving bus or train so I took tons of pictures trying to avoid glare and motion blur. Its hard to tell how good a shot really is on the small screen of a camera but pretty easy on the iPad. I actually saw more iPads being used by people on the trip than notebooks. I also sold a few amateur photographers on the iPad once they saw what I was doing with it.