1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Official Inspiron 1545 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by Fragilexx, Apr 19, 2009.

?

What do you think of your Inspiron 1545?

1. Love it - for the price it does everything I need and more

45 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Like it - it's suitable enough

35 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Dislike it - unlike ronseal, it doesn't do what it says on the can

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Hate it - so much that I have got rid or am trying to

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Don't really have an opinion on it

13 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. Cammerv8

Cammerv8 Notebook Consultant

wey i just notice mi power ligth isnt powering on!!!!!
    yesterday it did!!!

2. Fragilexx

Fragilexx Get'cha head in the game

It's just an LED, sometimes they die. Unusual though, you tend to get more hours use out of an LED than you will the laptop itself by quite some way.

3. Cammerv8

imma start crying i miss my power ligth!!!!
    is the only ligth i have :'(

4. Fragilexx

I hate that power light. I repainted my palmrest because the finger print magnet was annoying me. Took time (as you've got several layers of paint that you need to let dry), but it's much better now. Plus I covered over that light. However, it's being relegated to my desk at work and I'm looking for another laptop for travelling back and forth; it's just too big and heavy for use on public transport.

5. Cammerv8

can you post pics of your work ?

i even reflashed the bios to see if it was a glitch but apparently it just died!!!
    BTW new dvddrive bios!!!

6. carrythebanner

carrythebanner Newbie

Well I did as suggested and tried some earphones which sound fine (couldn't get hold of any speakers but I assume it'll have the same effect) but the speakers are sounding worse than ever. I mean they sound like an old mobile walkman would - scratchy and crackling and not something you'd expect after paying £400. I heard there were new drivers, but the link didn't work. Is this something PC World might help with? I could try and record what it sounds like somehow for anyone wondering. It sounds awful and it's getting worse. They also crackle and scratch on windows alerts and such, not just music.

7. Fragilexx

If headphone sound fine then most likely there is nothing wrong with the speakers, just that they are poor quality. Unfortunately laptop speakers are normally pretty rubbsih to be honest.

However, it also sounds like it may be something else. I'd speak to PC world, see what they say. If it's quite close then I'd probably recommend you bring the computer in to them so they can hear. It will also give you the opportunity to compare with their display model to see if there is any difference.

8. rct9309

rct9309 Newbie

When you get it can you tell me how wow plays on it? beacuse the guy from dell set me up with the same packege?

9. Fragilexx

When who gets what?

WOW plays just fine on my machine, if that's what you are talking about.

10. corybaby

corybaby Newbie

on another subject----

on my 1525 , before the monitor DIED after only 2 years, i had the synaptics touchpad driver that had a few more options than i can get now on this 1545.

anyone know how? or if its possible to get it? or anything to be able to get the MORE options buttons lit in the setings of the 1545 touchpad---specifically the BACK --both buttons--- option>?

11. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

You can download the driver from Synaptics themselves, instead of Dell, assuming the 1545 has a Synaptics pad.

12. Fragilexx

13. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

In that case, corybaby, you're pretty much out of luck. Alps touchpads are, generally speaking, crap.

14. Fragilexx

They tend not to be as good as synaptics touchpads, but seriously check out that thread - I'm pretty sure they got somewhere in the end.

15. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

I've actually had a look through that thread and tried all the drivers. Synaptics drivers leave me with less than I have now; I can't even edge-scroll or middle-click with them. Different Alps drivers disable different things, like circle scrolling or scroll zoom.

16. Dspr_02

Dspr_02 Notebook Evangelist

Ive had both Apls and Synaptics. My experience with Alps was and still is horrible, where as my Synaptics experience was amazing, and one of the most responsive touchpads that I have ever used.

17. corybaby

corybaby Newbie

Thats what i was afraid of, i did try getting the driver from synaptics but it was no luck and yes Alps pads do suck, its wierd though that in the alps settings there are more settings available, but they arent highlighted for use, tells me there must be or might be an update for it... someday?
    Thanks for all the efforts, i will check out the thread listed, thanks
    Cory:)

18. EE1545N

EE1545N Newbie

Was tossing around the idea of updating my old Inspiron 2200, and I came across the Dell deal for the Inspiron 15n starting at $299... After crunching numbers, I bit the bullet & just opted to buy a new laptop... After bumping up the processor to the T4200, and getting the integrated webcam (necessary for when I telecommute) it ended up a bit over $400. Should be shipped by 07.21 :D

To that end I started looking around for a new laptop backpack that I can use to carry the 1545 around & fits the laptop well. Anyone have any suggestions? I saw that Amazon & Buy.com have good sales on some SwissGear backpacks that caught my attention. What do you guys use?

19. Fragilexx

Yup Swissgear here; found they are one of the better ones + don't actually look that bad either.

20. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

I use a SwissGear backpack to carry my Studio 1535 around to and from classes daily.