Official ICD7 Thread

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by Capper5016, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The temp improvements you guys are getting great. I am thinking I might pull a couple of mine apart and check the coverage pattern. I'm thinking it might be a little thin. I did see temp reductions, but I might get better yet. Plus, I can apply it to the GPU ram and see if that makes a difference.
    Note that all my tests where run with the fans forced to high, for both idle and stressed temps.

2. MexicanSnake

MexicanSnake I'm back!

Reputations:
    :D Pfttt... and this is getting better and better... I saw that I didnt apply the thermal paste in the correct way, so I decided to reapply it today.

I followed the steps carefully, those steps that are at the ICD webpage, I also considered to apply it on the northbridge since there was a thermal pad there, the only parts in my heatsink without ICD are the gpu memory heatsinks, since I felt that they couldnt make full contact to the metal. And well the results were more than stunning... ICD has my FULL respect...

Take a look at this, I ran 3dmark06 like 15minutes, COD W@W 45 minutes, this with a mad overclock(same as the last time)... These are the temps at full load:
    [​IMG]

Before (wrong application):

[​IMG]

And you will ask me: Whats the difference from my last paste application?
    Northbridge: -4C
    Processor: -4C
    GPU: -3c

Wow thanks again for the thermal paste, it seems to like my laptop :D. Ill do more test with other computers later.

3. DanaGoyette

DanaGoyette Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, I could really use some of this thermal compound for my EliteBook laptop -- it used to be damn quiet and cool, but once I had the defective GPU replaced, it's become far warmer under load; it seems HP used less-effective thermal tape or grease.
    So, I just send my mailing address to the e-mail address in the first post? I'd be glad to post test results for the thing, for apps such as Crysis, perhaps.
    Interestingly enough, the EliteBook has several ACPI thermal zones, in addition to the CPU and GPU die sensors: BATZ, CP2Z, CPUZ, DTSZ, GFXZ, LOCZ.

4. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sorry if I missed it somewhere. I'm currently using AS5 and want to try IC7, who should I talk to and how can I obtain a sample?

5. sentence

sentence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    read the 1st post o_O'

6. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Whoops, was tired. So fail on me :( Thanks, sentence.

7. azrickster

azrickster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just posted instructions to get to the GPU here.

[thread]382408[/thread]

8. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    cpu & gpu are the same thing, just different cores, directions should be the same. Since this is non conductive its better for gpu uses than say AS5 and if it managed to ooze out some from compression it wont hurt anything.

My biggest take on reading the official install directions is its better to use too much than too little.

9. viilutaja

viilutaja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exactly, here aplies the saying: "too much is better" :D And for 1 mm gap between the core and heatsink, the IC7 works just fine. I had that gap with my laptop NB and IC7 worked wonders :)

10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    MX-2 cutted my temps noticeably, ordered one ICD7 over eBay 4 days ago, now I can barely wait to see the improvements :D I'm going to apply it everywhere (CPU, North Bridge, GPU, vRAM), I hope that it would have enough paste in there though. My GPU is currently copper moded, so I'll test it with and without the copper sheet, if there is enough paste :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.