[Official] Huawei Matebook X Pro Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Megacharge, May 30, 2018.

1. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

These are the questions i want to know about too. I was going to order the i7 model a couple of weeks ago until i looked up Huawei service and saw that all their so called service centers in the US were really just tiny private phone repair shops, if they even exist. Worse yet, i then called Huawei and was told that they have one actual service center in the US in Texas, BUT then he told me they only guarantee the i5 model because the i7 model "is not officially sold in the US" and if my i7 breaks under warranty i could send it to Europe for repair at my expense! So then i cancelled my order.

Now i am thinking of getting the i7 model again because it still looks great. What I'm thinking of doing now is getting it along with Microsoft's two year Performance Guard guarantee ($150 includes accidental damage). The MS salesman on the phone said if i buy that, MS will directly cover the warranty and I'd give it to MS to repair.

The trouble is every MS salesman i speak to on the phone seems to say something different. So the question is, is that true, will MS take care of any possible warranty problems with the i7, and two, how is MS warranty service for a non MS product they sell?

The i7 model is in stock now.

2. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the great information. After doing my homework about TB3 ports and support for 4K 60Hz external displays (see my other postings), and after putting my hands on an MBXP i7 at the MS Store, I pulled the trigger today.

Then I read your posting, and realized that I want the PGG you mentioned above. But alas, you cannot purchase the PGG separately from the MBXP, so I ended up cancelling my order, and re-ordering with PGG.

The MS Store price is $1499. The PGG is $129 (discounted from $149), so mine was not included like yours was. Not a big deal though. I think the $129 is worth it.

Yes, I have some of the same concerns that you do. I think the PGG “fine print” is on-line someplace, so that’s my next “adventure.”

Oh, with regard to being “in stock.” The MS Store says “Will ship by August 7.” That’s not what I call in stock. May I ask where/how you purchased yours? I’m actually reluctant to ask that question, as I just flashed on me cancelling my order, again, and reordering! :)

Best!

3. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Jliv - i have not yet purchased it. I'm still undecided. Here is a tip to save $150. They offer a military discount so i asked for it and the saleseman said no problem. That reduced the price to 1,350. He asked for no proof. Good to know that the pgg must be purchased at the same time as the computer. Let me know if you see anything interesting in the fine print. Basic rule: the finer the print the more important it is! I would still like to hear from someone who has had actually dealings in this matter. Neither ms nor huawei's service sector has inspired a lot of confidence in me so far.

4. IceDragon7

IceDragon7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt 3 allows you to connect to an eGPU (External GPU) like the Razer Core. Its a device that allows you to hook up a desktop grade graphics to the laptop and run games through it rather than use the graphics card on your laptop. You won't get the full performance of the desktop GPU due to bandwidth limitations but it significantly improves your graphics performance. I used to hook up the HP Spectre x360 with a Razer Core + AMD RX480 and play Witcher 3 on near max settings at 60fps.

5. IceDragon7

Reputations:
  6. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, now I’m even more embarrassed. Putting my bruised ego aside for a moment, allow me to say “that’s fricking awesome! Can you use an eGPU to drive multiple 4K displays of of the MBXP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. IceDragon7

Reputations:
    Nothing to be embarrassed about. Its a pretty niche and expensive setup. I've never personally driven multiple 4K displays so I can't say for sure, but I also don't see why not considering its a desktop grade graphic card driving the displays.

Heads up: The Microsoft Store just dropped the price of the Huawei Matebook X Pro i7 version to $1199.99 (Sold out currently)

Update: Deal is dead, back up to regular price

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM
  9. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just received notice from MS that my unit has shipped, and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Wednesday) by 8:00pm. I wanted to share this as the “Ships By” information on the MS Store page said 8/7/18 when I purchased this unit on 7/13/18 (and it still does as of this writing). So we are looking at 5 days from purchase to arrival, and not 25 days, as I had expected.

I’ll report back once the unit arrives on my initial impressions, and of course how it works with a 4K 60Hz 45 inch display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. addyct

addyct Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I grabbed an Aorus 1080 Gaming Box. After firmware and driver updates, this was my first result on an external monitor. The CPU portion is predictably bad, but it seems to be throttling? Although, not as a result of thermals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]