[Official] Huawei Matebook X Pro Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Megacharge, May 30, 2018.

1. NecessaryEvil

NecessaryEvil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks like I got the last one from whomever the seller was. Newegg has it for $1500, and a cheaper warranty, but not an accidental one...$1550 was what mine was selling for, and the 3 year Square Trade. Better than nothing.

2. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MS store now has the i7 520 model @ $1350 with discount and the 2 year Performance Guard guarantee is on sale for $120. I just ordered it. It's supposed to arrive within a week.

jliv likes this.
  3. bearflag

bearflag Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I bought the i5 model from MS store last month and am really happy with the laptop.

However, yesterday I accidentally dropped the laptop and the corner to the laptop got damaged. The corner of the bezel does have a crack in it, which I applied glue to so it doesn't spread, but lucky the actual screen part is fine.

Do you guys know if I can still get the Performance Guard from the MS store since I'm in the 45 day period or will they actually inspect my laptop before giving it to me?

4. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I purchased through MS Store (on-line)

I tried to get PG after I placed my order. They said I could only get it if upon receiving my unit I brought it in for inspection. I cancelled my order and reordered with PG ($129).

So, unfortunately, I think you’ll have to get it inspected. Of course you might call them up and try to order it post facto. Worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, I finally had the chance to stream some 4K. I realize that there has already been a lot of super technical video discussion, so please keep that in mind when reading my decidedly un-geeky report.

I did the choppy video fix referred to in this thread; the one that uses the Intel Graphics control panel. I brought up a Sony 4K video demo that I googled. I tested both my external 43" LG/4K/60Hz external display, as well as the internal display. Both pictures were "flawless" to my eyes. No jitter or chop of any kind, and stunning picture, clarity, color, etc.

I'm not sure what the technical details are behind it, but in the past (with past laptops) I have noticed some major degradation when I go to FULL SCREEN on large displays. There was no degradation here at 43".

The fan stepped up a notch when I ran on the external display, and it stepped up another notch when I used the internal, but I think this is to be expected based on comments earlier in this thread. The fan noise doesn't bother me at it's lowest (no video running) or at "mid-level" with external video running. But I have to say that at "upper-level" when watching on the internal display, the noise becomes a bit annoying. As others have mentioned, I also worry about the damage this likely causes to components over the long-haul.

Conclusion: 4K videos works well on this unit, at least for my needs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  6. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On another subject, I have learned that USB-C/TB3 and USB-C/DP-Alt Mode are two very different things. The MBXP provides TB3, while my display offers DP-Alt Mode. Both "protocols" support full 4K video, but are incompatible with each other. Therefore I am unable to connect the MBXP directly to my LG display with USB-C. Kind of a bummer, but fully understandable. Instead I use HDMI via the MateBook Dock (dongle).

werewolf likes this.
  7. NecessaryEvil

NecessaryEvil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Matebook arrived today. Wiped it after it passed my testing (no dead pixels, no obvious hardware issues), and am now running my install on it.

10 Pro, joined to my domain, and ready for some VMware work. Beautiful screen, great sound, really impressive build quality on the MateBook, but not without some minor quibbles.

1) The AC adapter brick falls out of the outlet very easily. By it's own weight. I pinched the prongs and it's staying in, but I don't like it as a long term solution. I'm going to either buy a USB charger or a docking station for it soon. I wish it had a 3rd prong.

2) I had a hell of a time getting it to boot off my flash drive. It wouldn't maintain Secure Boot being disabled, which worries me, but I found that the problem was my flash drive having been formatted GPT/NTFS instead of GPT/FAT32. I've not experienced any problems with about two dozen different makes/models that I've used that flash drive to (re)install 10 with.

3) Removal of the bottom sticker is not removal of a cover. It takes the Windows and nVidia stickers off, and I'm fine with that - I already took the Intel sticker off the top. But I don't like that it takes off the serial number sticker as well, and leaves it without an external way of determining the serial number should it not power up. I just put the stickers on the box, and tossed it in my closet. I planned on keeping it anyway, but I'm not a fan.

4) I noticed that out of the box, the touchpad acted like it didn't have the Precision stuff loaded. After I reformatted it had all the options I'd expected.

5) BatteryBar + PC Manager (or whatever Huawei's software is called) on the battery saver option (40-70) resulted in some interesting things being shown. It shows A/C as though it's done charging, but if I check the battery, it was discharging from 100-70%. Not a problem, just something that I noticed that was not as I'd have expected.

I think I'm going to enjoy it quite a bit. It feels more like a MacBook than a ZenBook...and that's a good thing. The Zenbook I've used just felt hollow, and like it probably had thin aluminum. These feels more solid.

jliv and steberg like this.
  8. abaganov2

abaganov2 Newbie

Reputations:
    guys got a question , loving this laptop from all the reviews I seen, if I were living in the USA I would already order it, the problem is I live in Asia and the warranty Huawei gives only cover inside the USA , so basically that means I will zero warranty on this machine.

would it be insane to order it still? how likely it is to get a defective unit right from the start? how likely it is I am going to face issues? this bums me out.

9. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you buy it via the Microsoft Store (on-line)? If so, they offer an add-on warranty called PerformanceGuard Protection Plan. Here is the link to the plan on the MS site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/p...8vnjcq7dwh77/d5wx?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Ii don't know if this is available to you in Asia. It was $129 when you purchase with the MBXP. It has a $49 deductible and covers accidental damage coverage too, which is pretty amazing.

For those of you who have been following the other posts on PerformanceGuard, I verified (by reading the policy that came with my MBXP) that it does include accidental damage.

Good luck abaganov2!

abaganov2 likes this.
  10. jliv

jliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are there any other MB or MBXP forums out there worth exploring. I like this little forum, but it sometimes feels like there are about 4 active participants.