[Official] Huawei Matebook X Pro Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Megacharge, May 30, 2018.

1. Megacharge

Megacharge Custom User Title

Reputations:
    This is a thread to discuss your shiny new Matebook X Pro and share helpful information with fellow owners.

2. Megacharge

Reputations:
    Got my Matebook X Pro, i7 8550U/MX150/16Gb/512Gb. The MX150 in this laptop is the slower 1D12 variant or the "Max-Q" version. It is around 20 to 25% slower than the regular MX150, although from my experience, still quite a capable GPU.

From completely powered off this thing boots up very fast. Placing my finger on the power button and pressing it down, it quickly reads my finger print and I'm at the desktop ready to work or play in around 6 seconds (you don't need to hold your finger on it for more than one second).

DPC latency is fine, no issues whatsoever. I run Ableton and the Matebook has no issues running it with complex projects with many tracks, samples and synths being used. It's definitely a viable laptop for music production and Ableton looks sexy as hell on this awesome screen.
    [​IMG]

The keyboard is an absolute joy to type on, quiet and comfortable with a very nice amount of travel.

The touch screen is one of the best I have ever seen and experienced and I really love the 3:2 aspect ratio. I wish more laptop makers would adopt this. The extremely thin bezels are impressive and a sight to behold.

Also running games at lower resolutions with similar aspect ratios on this screen still looks stellar. For example, Running 1280x800 on this screen still looks sharp. This is an excellent gaming advantage as we can run games at lower res with better settings and high frame rates while not having it look bad like it does when lowering resolution on say a 1080p panel.

This laptop does get quite hot. In a 26c ambient temperature room, it Idles around 50c and can get up to the low 80s under heavy loads like running Battlefront II for extended periods of time. The keyboard gets warm and the metal part above the keyboard gets uncomfortably hot to the touch. The MX150 hovers in the low to high 70s. The bright side is that this laptop doesn't appear to thermal throttle. Under heavy loads for long periods of time with high temps, gameplay remains smooth.

[​IMG]
    EDIT: after the tweaking mentioned below, the Temps shown above no longer go above 77c in any category.

The SSD is the Toshiba XG5. Writes are weak but apparently this is due to a Windows update issue that causes this particular drive to have much slower writes than it should.
    [​IMG]

I know some of you will be interested in how the Matebook X Pro will perform with an eGPU setup. As I don't have an eGPU I can't really say, however, I came across this excellent post about it at reddit in which a guy with the exact same model as mine does some in depth testing with his eGPU (GTX 1080Ti) and finds some interesting and surprising results. Here is the link to that thread for those of you who are interested in this laptop and eGPU. https://www.reddit.com/r/Huawei/comments/8niq84/matebook_x_pro_i7_3d_mark_scores_razer_core/

So far I am really loving the Matebook X Pro, but the heat is bothersome. While the CPU and GPU never get near their danger zones I worry about the other components that are packed closely to them. I have tried undervolting but I was only able to manage -0.085v on the core and cache and -0.050v on the iGPU. This hasn't done much to reduce temperatures though, I had only gotten a 1c to 2c reduction from that. So far I haven't been able to get access to the MX150's voltages, and can't undervolt it.

Update: I have decided to keep this laptop. It's just awesome to have this kind of power in a less than 3 pound package. I have found that running games but keeping it in "better performance" mode instead of "best performance" mode and setting the maximum processor state to 99% in the power settings to run all 4 cores at the stock 1.8Ghz results in around a 5c decrease in temps on my system. CPU now gets to a max of 77c over prolonged periods of heavy gaming in a 27c ambient temperature room and the MX150 gets to 76c. I'm quite happy with those temps and very happy with the performance.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Can you post some screenshjots of the temps under load? Have considered one of those matebook X but unsure about the temps. I realize they are not high end performers, but nevertheless pretty portable with insane batterylife.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That is a sexy little beast, though what they did with the webcam is a letdown. Not that you'd do a ton of gaming with this thing, but if you use the function keys often, I have to imagine hitting that switch will be a problem.

5. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought one, it's pretty rad

steberg likes this.
  6. Wests

Wests Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got my i7 version yesterday; so far so good.

The only issue I've run into is that out of the box, I was getting well over 3000 mb/s reads and 1200 mb/s writes. However, after updating Windows to KB4100403, my write speeds have dropped to just over 450 mb/s.

Evidently, it's a known issue. So, if you value write speeds, hold off on updating Windows until there is a solution.

7. Megacharge

Reputations:
    I've updated my second post with a bit of info.

8. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the i7 mtebook x pro. Also have an Aorus 1080 box arriving in the mail tomorrow hopefully. Looking forward to testing it out.

steberg and Megacharge like this.
  9. Wests

Wests Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice!

Let us know how the setup goes, as well as the performance.

10. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, got it to play nice with the matebook finally. Sort of disappointed in my 3DMark Firestrike scores (like 8600 combined score). Keep in mind this is running it with the internal laptop display not an external monitor, so the video is being sent back through the 2 lane channel. I suspect I will get maybe a 30 percent performance boost if I switch displays. This can also cause frame rate fluctuations (4 to 5fps dips quite often). I haven't had time yet to hook it up to a display, will do that later tonight. The Aorus Box is pretty awesome though. Super small compared to my Alienware amplifier and super quiet. In fact, its so quiet I think maybe its not running at full throttle. The Aorus Enginge software doesn't seem to be working right. I'm gonna tinker some more. wishing the i7 matebook had 4 lanes in the TB3. Does the i5 matebook without the MX150 have 4 lanes? Have 2 weeks to play with the Aorus Box or send it back.

steberg likes this.