Official Guide: Putting a P870TM1 CPU heatsink into a P870KM1 (P870KM to TM1 partial conversion)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jun 19, 2019.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will try and save you a bunch of time and headache. Going bare die wont help the temps but in fact increase them.
    Even if you fix the vrm height offset that the heatsink has, you will create a hotspot without the ihs. Meaning instead of heat being spread mostly cross all 4 heatpipes, 2 of them will do most of the heavy lifting.

jaybee83, Papusan and bennyg like this.
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The CPU VRM. If you lower the main part of the heatsink by ~3mm by removing the heatspreader, it won't sit flush due to inductors and standoffs currently sitting within that 3mm zone.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Is there another VRM it contacts? :p

4. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I feel like I need to drop my direct die idea project... :)

5. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or you could straight up solder the ihs to the heatsink and have direct die. But that depends on how bad you lost the heatsink lottery.

6. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My biggest issue at the moment with my 870km1, that the 144hz IPS screen are flickering... I dunno if it is gpu or mb or what problem... I have changed the cable 2 times and did not solve it... the 120hz QHD or FHD panels work fine with gsync... any idea for that?

7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    now wouldnt that be something... a clevo reseller binning heatsinks for each LGA/MXM clevo machine they sell :D

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

jc_denton likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You forgot binning the Cpu Bracket:vbbiggrin:

jaybee83 and jc_denton like this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh man, I remember how much of a nightmare that was on my p870tm1! Temps were around 95c no matter what I did because the heatsink rested on that retention bracket instead of the ihs.

So I just removed it, good riddance!

10. artpra

artpra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Parts finally arrived so here is my attempt to this mod.
    Went a different way of not to modify stock KM CPU bracket but to source the original TM one (that way I can go back to stock and simply it`s easier and faster to swap them).
    Here you can see both brackets with part numbers (top: KM, bottom: TM):
    [​IMG]

After stripping KM and taking off the palmrest (top case) I used hairdryer to warm up stock CPU bracket until it was really hot - it`s glued to the mobo with really strong adhesive so high temperature helps in taking it off. Then I pushed standoffs with fingers while supporting mobo from the other side (to prevent too much flexing). Little by little and changing the sides (standoffs) it was removed.
    Here is that adhesive on the KM bracket (left, notice different standoffs length):
    [​IMG]
    and mobo without it:
    [​IMG]

Comparison of standoffs (left: KM, right: TM - obviously):
    [​IMG]
    difference is exactly 3mm, so if you want to modify KM bracket and cut its standoffs, cut at least 3mm away.

For the aluminium frame I used blade from hand saw (for cutting metals) and metal file then a black marker to cover the marks:
    [​IMG]

Here is how the new TM CPU heatsink fits KM:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see that I filed a little too much of the frame and there is a gap between heatsink and frame but it doesn`t hurt anything (about 2mm less would just look better). Heatsink fits perfectly, there`s no need to use any copper shim, gap is non existent (at least with this sample).

Now it`s time for "before" and "after" ;). 9900K, -120mV undervolt (adaptive), 8x4,2GHz, max fans, 25C ambient temp.
    KM heatsink:
    [​IMG]

and TM heatsink:
    [​IMG]

Nice reduction in temps (from close to thermal throttling to safe ones). Idle it`s better too, there aren`t huge temps spikes anymore and temperature is rising much slower than before (guess that direct contact with heatpipes helps a lot). In effect machine is MUCH quieter.
    Highly recommended!

So yeah - with delid, custom IHS, liquid metal under IHS, IHS+heatsink polishing, undervolt AND TM heatsink 9900K can be tamed :p

bennyg and Rahego like this.