Official Guide: Putting a P870TM1 CPU heatsink into a P870KM1 (P870KM to TM1 partial conversion)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The amount of the standoff that is above the motherboard can be removed. Use a scribe to mark one of the posts before removing the bracket, or measure the height above the motherboard with a caliper and you'll be good to go. The back plane between the slave GPU and CPU radiators needs to have a section removed for the extra radiator attached to the CPU heat pipes. It is like a thin wall area that is perpendicular to the motherboard. You can see what area was cut in the photos posted by @DaMafiaGamer and @Prema was only suggesting to remove no more than absolutely necessary to help maintain structural integrity of the frame. He did not need to remove the entire height of the wall on the rear plane, but it was cut in exactly the right place.

There is nothing wrong with the mod. It was a great job. That said, every mod that I ever do, I can later identify something I would do differently the next time. That's just the nature of modding and the handiwork of creative minds. When you get two or more creative minds involved, then you can expect magic to happen or sparks to be flying (or a mixture of both, LOL).

2. artpra

artpra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox
    so the standoffs mod is clear, thanks. I was planning to use shims to fill the gap between heatsink and CPU IHS and from information gathered here and there it looks like 5mm of shim(s) is needed to do so. So I guess that translate to ~5mm cut of from standoffs.

My plan to modding the frame is to remove wall fragment marked with red arrows but leave both fragments with green ones intact:
    [​IMG]

Here is TM frame for reference (I`m still waiting for my CPU heatsink to arrive so I can only make prep work on official papers):
    [​IMG]

Dr. AMK, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Here you go:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/a5b46adcd995590ac945a3649277e894.jpg

Make sure to strip the middle-frame naked ,before using the Dremel, and clean it thoroughly afterwards. Otherwise you will have to fight with metal dust shorting the board later on.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  4. artpra

Reputations:
    That`s exactly what I had planned, thanks for confirmation!

5. artpra

Reputations:
    Here is another reference to TM CPU support backplate and its standoffs, thanks to OWNorDisown YT review:
    [​IMG]

I would say that`s about 1,5mm above mobo.

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Great to know this is possible; I may need to do something similar with my next heatsink mod since it'll involve removing the socket + IHS and fitting an OC frame + vapour chamber instead

Dr. AMK likes this.
  7. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys,
    I was thinking about, that the dm3/km1 joint CPU+GPU vapor chamber cannot be better for rigs with one 1080 and a 8700k/9900k? As the 2 heatpipes help the cpu to direct heat to the big GPU chamber which is desinged for 500W, however I would use only one 1080? Is it a rational idea, or I should go for the tm1 cpu as well. To be honest the km1's cpu heatsink is pretty much a joke... such as the TM1's heatsink.
    Pls let me know if it is a viable idea or not.
    thx

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The DM3 is GPU biased and not suitable really for the 9900k.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  9. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Km1 is not suitable either as the tm1. My point was that the vapor chamber cpu joint cpu heatsink might be better than the km1 or tm1 heatsink.... however motherboard level i dunno if km1 or dm3 really manage to expoit 9900k with mod bios

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I would cut of the pipes from the Vapor Chamber going over to the Cpu heatsink. Exactly as @bloodhawk did. Sorry i havent the post right in front explaining this now. Search it up if you can. Im limited for the moment.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Dr. AMK likes this.