*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Runningcount

Runningcount Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just set my Oculus up last night and though I have not yet had a chance to play anything in depth, the initial setup and VR content seemed to be go well. I checked out some free Disney thing that wascool, can't wait to get in to some real game titles.

Jajuca likes this.
  2. Runningcount

Runningcount Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine also states PCIE v2.0. I have Win 10 home, and believe I too have creators update (think it forced the update on me after delaying it) also, how do I tell? Anyhow, I read a few pages back you both have creators also and wondered if it has something to do with it.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They don't mind it here if you do this?

Another polite ask for anyone else to take a hwinfo64 screenshot with the PCIe root #5 selected, please. :)

CedricFP likes this.
  4. Denjin

Reputations:
    Nah, not related but was just curious. Although I'd not mind if someone could somehow get lspci -vv information on PCIe root 5 under linux, too.

5. Ron101

Ron101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Denjin,
    Can you explain in basic terms this issue, and is it very concerning thing? As i understand gigabyte claiming one thing but its showing another on the laptop itself? Or am I confused?

(Trying to get all the ducks in a row before I order the beast)

6. Denjin

Reputations:
    Basically it is advertised as having a full speed (theoretical 40 Gb/s) TB3 port. However, for whatever reason, the PCIe root device that the TB3 port is off of is only running as PCIe 2.0 x4 - this limits the theoretical maximum to 20. Gigabyte is saying it is my device and not a general issue... however a number of other people have confirmed this.

Yes I know TB3 numbers are all sort of silly anyway, due to the way it is advertised by Intel, but the max is still half on the Aero 15 at the moment. However, if you plan to only use the eGPU for 4K it's not a huge deal I suppose. I planned to use some storage + the eGPU functionality so want the full bandwidth (which is why I bought it).

Vistar Shook, CedricFP and Ron101 like this.
  7. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Linked to imgur and also attached.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Denjin and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. droidfury

droidfury Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So they are saying that this is just an isolated case on your machine? You said there were others who complained about this issue, can you send us the link please? I am also interested in this laptop, and the issue on the thundebolt 3 would be dealbreaker for me.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. Denjin

Reputations:
    Well, two others have confirmed, but I do wish a few more people would take a screenshot of PCIe root port #5...

@Denjin http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...15-owners-lounge.804575/page-77#post-10575989
    @HermannTheGerman http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...15-owners-lounge.804575/page-84#post-10581158
    @CedricFP http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...15-owners-lounge.804575/page-86#post-10582255

10. droidfury

droidfury Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for these links. I was actually hoping that your machine was just an unlucky one but it seems not. Too bad, I was also interested
    in this laptop to do the same thing as you (plug it into a gaming box via thunderbolt 3). I guess I might take a risk in msi gs63vr or wait for the coffelake and volta-equipped machines.