*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nah, it's probably that their departments don't communicate at all. Even if a fix is in development or testing there is a good chance that the service department won't have any clue about it. And of course they won't report back to the updates people either.

It's sad when companies don't use their own feedback channels but some stuff like this requires a bad review on Amazon, newegg or Facebook to be noticed.

Jajuca and Denjin like this.
  2. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    True, @scrod. Never attribute to malice something that can be explained by stupidity... or in this case just lack of comms as you say. :) Still, the RMA process annoys me as literally everyone who has tested has had same experience as me.

Jajuca and scrod like this.
  3. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You could pre-emptively compile all your screenshots and those from others confirming it and start a new thread here, then link to it on their FB page. At some point, those involved in resolving issues like this would have to be notified.

GenTechPC and Jajuca like this.
  4. Jajuca

Jajuca Newbie

Reputations:
    Got my Oculus Rift yesterday and it works great, smooth buttery frame rates so far. I'll report back after I've had a chance to play the more demanding AAA titles but Robo Recall is very smooth, I played all day yesterday with no motion sickness.

There's a few reviews about the 2017 Razorblade that has similar specs to the Gigabyte Aero 15. Some people are experiencing issues with the Razorblade on certain games so I'll take a look to see if the Aero 15 has the same problems. The Razorblade I think only has a max capacity of 16gb of Ram and 1 M.2 slot? So the Aero 15 should be able to handle any VR game by upgrading to 32gb of ram and a good M.2 SSD.

Apparently the Dell XPS 15 can't do Virtual Reality at all so I'm really glad I got the Aero 15, It really seems like the best all in one laptop right now with a decent battery life.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Ron101 and bberry110 like this.
  5. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Been away from the thread for a while so just seeing this now. IMO this is an unnecessarily argumentative post plus bad advice. All laptops, including this one, carry risk of manufacturer's defects, and they typically come with short return windows. The time for any new purchaser to personally test every part on their new computer is immediately on receipt. The last thing you want is to discover that you got a bad part only after that window or the warranty has expired, or when you need it in the field like at a client site. Also, particularly on brand new models, software bugs are common. Personally I'm grateful for those before me who took the time to find and report issues with the keyboard, battery meter, etc etc so they got fixed before they bothered me.

As to the subjective judgments like "angry" + "extremely worked up" etc etc I'm not sure I had the same reactions from the original posts.

Ron101, Denjin and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. Mrh58

Mrh58 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Planning to buy. Who can say, at the moment, eventually, what is the situation with the problem of using keyboard combinations?

Thank you.

7. Ron101

Ron101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As I understand some combos has been fixed however the ctrl+shift combos are still an issue, Gigabyte suggested that you can set your macros on the keyboard to function as a quick fix for now.
    I don't really use that specific combo so not to phased but might affect some people.

8. Mrh58

Mrh58 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. I'm not photo or video editor, but It's very common combination even for me (in chrome, for example).

9. lebellium

lebellium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks.

I removed the foam piece. Actually there were 2 black cover tape layers. One glued to the foam piece you can't really remove and another one I left in place to protect the components just under the SSD:
    [​IMG]

I used Gigabyte Smart Backup to make a bootable USB drive and installed the Samsung 960 Evo with it.
    What I liked is that it also automatically recreated the original recovery partitions so I can use the F9 key.

For the record, the French version of the Aero 15 (B40W10P-FR) can be shipped at least with 2 different SSDs: Liteon CV1-8B512 or Transcend TS512GMTS800, none of which are NVMe.

Here are my benchmarks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regarding the backlit keyboard: you can customize a lot with the RGB Fusion software but there is something very basic I was not able to do. I don't know if it's hidden or really not possible: how do you set a timeout for the backlight?!
    It's a bit stupid that it remains ON even when I'm AFK. The screen turns off after 10 minutes by default, why won't the keyboard backlight?

Morningkill likes this.
  10. georgz

georgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: