*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So far I've been using Smart Update to update pre-installed software and drivers on my AERO 15. Worked good so far (at least after updating Smart Update, see my post).

While for some components only updates distributed by Gigabyte are available (e.g., BIOS, keyboard firmware, ...), other updates can be downloaded from the original manufacturer, e.g. CPU and GPU drivers:

• For the integrated GPU (HD 630), Smart Update offers 22.22.16.4708, compared to Intel's latest drivers 15.46.02.4729.
    • For the dedicated GPU, Smart Updates offers 22.21.13.8266 while nVIDIA offers 384.94.

This is to say, the original manufacturer provides more up-to-date drivers.

Is it recommended to install the latest original drivers instead of drivers provided by Gigabyte?

2. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Gigabyte replied to my support ticket (about the PCIe 2.0 x4 issue):
    @HermannnTheGerman I install original drivers, when possible. In my case this was just the official nvidia ones, though.

Tomorrow it the end of my 14 days since ordering the laptop. The vendor keeps asking me to wait, but is there any chance they won't fix the issue? As said, I did buy it for the very specific eGPU use case...

3. respectthecheck

respectthecheck Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for keeping us updated! kind of a bummer though. I mean the speeds should theoretically be the same as PCIE 3.0 x2 but still falsely advertised imo. Sorry if I missed it, but have you tried any benchmarks using an external monitor directly plugged into the egpu? It should produce better results since the bandwidth isn't used to push video back into the internal monitor.

I wonder if they're holding off on the Aero 15 4k version until these updates are pushed out.

4. deadlyrhythm

deadlyrhythm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you have a link to the new fusion and firmware?
    I'm looking here and don't see these new versions.
    Thanks

5. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm using it with 3440x1440 monitor, which is why I went eGPU route. 1060 just isn't enough for that! :) The PCIe root should be PCIE 3.0 x4 which is 2x the bandwidth of what I'm getting now.

6. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen various testing that shows half speed TB3 is adequate for eGPU driving external higher resolution monitors where frame rates are modest. The bottleneck usually occurs if you are trying to run very high frame rates or trying to use the eGPU to drive the notebook display.

7. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am surprised and disapointed that gigabyte would sell this machine with limited TB3 bandwith at this point in time with the eGPU market taking off. The backlash with the XPS 15 was bad enough, does anyone know if dell fixed that with the latest model?
    If it is not hardware limited, gigabyte should rush a fix.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CedricFP likes this.
  8. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah the difference in speed is similar between half and full bandwidth, but they are advertising it as full bandwidth. Plus, if you ever want to use the port more (my enclosure has hard drive space + USB ports, too!), there will be a bigger performance hit on a half speed TB3 port.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. lebellium

lebellium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello there,

I finally ordered a 2nd Aero 15 from another webshop, with the hope that there would be less backlight bleed.
    And indeed the new unit is a *bit* better in that regard. Although it's not as good as I'd like for a > €2000 laptop, I'll keep it and return the 1st unit.

Left: 1st unit; Right: 2nd unit:
    [​IMG]

I also ordered a Samsung 960 Evo NVMe SSD which should arrive tomorrow.
    I'll use it as main drive for the system and applications and I'll use the original SSD (it's a Transcend on this unit, not a Lite-On) as secondary drive for my documents.

I'm wondering though:
    I have 2 foam pieces. Which one are you talking about? The red or green one?
    [​IMG]

I tried to remove the green one but the black cover is glued to the foam piece so that sounds like a bad idea to me:
    [​IMG]

Here it how it looks like if I leave both foam pieces. Is it really risky?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Jajuca and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. georgz

georgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I recently purchased the laptop. Everything is great so far but I have three questions!

1) The Fusion software is displaying the keyboard in US version but I have the UK. The issue is that if I select all the buttons and try to change their color in a custom profile two keys that are not displayed in the screen keyboard remain black.

2) The SSD driver includes multiple partitions for recovery and such, there is even a partition for UEFI something(I don't remember atm). Are these partitions useful? Since W10 is tied to the machine I could download and install the OS from microsoft with no issues. Right?

3) Has anyone managed to install nvidia drivers in Linux? Particular, in Debian.

And last, something annoying, the right Shift and right Enter are dimmer than the rest most probably because the LED is not directly underneath the letters. It's a small thing but it's annoying.