*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Odd, why do I get this: I got score of 1472 / 58.5 FPS. Other benchmarks on the Internet have people getting 70+ FPS in this benchmark on the Aero 15, too.

2. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Install MSI Afterburner and check to see what your 1060 is boosting up to. IIRC, most Aero 15's are boosting in the 1500~1600 range on default settings.

Also, are you on the "Gaming" fan profile? From what I understand, if you try to game / bench on the "Quiet" profile, it automatically throttles. I am not certain of this, but an owner said so of his Aero 15 earlier in the thread.

You may also want to monitor your temps and see if you're encountering thermal throttling.

Otherwise, I'm honestly not sure what else could be causing it. FWIW, in the NVIDIA Control Panel I have my Power Management Mode set to "Optimal Power". My Preferred Graphics Processor is also on "Auto".

Do your Firestrike benchmark scores line up with mine? If so, it's an issue with your Unigine settings most likely. For example, AA enabled.

Denjin likes this.
  3. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'll check Firestrike later on and MSI Afterburner. I checked and Gaming fan profile is selected at least.

Also, I get lots of mouse freezes when doing 'things' on this laptop. I never had that on my desktop with SSD.

4. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you try doing a clean install of Windows 10?

5. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @HussainQ - nope, not yet. I am thinking of returning it so have left it 'stock' with a bunch of the preloaded software removed.

@CedricFP - Firestrike 1080p -
    9738 total score / 11411 graphics score
    GPU Max 73c

6. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you really want to keep it that way, I'd suggest making a USB backup using Gigabyte's software, then do a clean install of Windows and redo your tests. If the results are more comparable to the tests referred to in the forum, install back all the gigabyte software and you're good to go. If not, then you could restore your backup and continue with your original plan.

7. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That looks right in line with my Firestrike score, and really, all GTX 1060 laptop scores in general. It beats out the NBC Aero 15 score, too, by a few hundred points.

This suggests your graphics card is working fine, and that there are specific settings in Unigine that are tanking your FPS. My guess is AA enabled by accident either in the NVIDIA CP or Unigine itself, but I'd still check out how high the 1060 boosts to in Unigine. If it's boosting into the 1500~1600 range, then your GPU is behaving normally.

The stutters you feel, like when clicking the battery icon or using task manager, are because of Optimus switching. The dGPU is briefly engaged. Windows was supposed to fix it with an update but that doesn't seem to have happened.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the impression that the Smart Manager USB backup utility creates a factory restore image. I don't think it saves any user data or changes? I'm not sure about this since I haven't tried to restore from the USB, but hopefully someone can verify. Definitely worth checking or at least make a second backup of your user data before using the Gigabyte backup as a restore point.

9. Jajuca

Jajuca Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got my Aero 15 a week ago and I'm very happy with it. Have 1 dead pixel (pink) in the top right of the screen and very minor backlight bleed on the bottom which is way better than any IPS panel I've ever owned.

Has anyone tried using the Oculus Rift, or HTC Vive with there Gigabyte Aero 15 yet? I know Nvidia Optimus wouldnt allow older laptops to use Virtual Reality because the HDMI slot wasnt connected to the GPU but the CPU. This is not the case with the Aero 15 but I was wondering if anyone has actually tried it becuase I just ordered the Oculus Rift and I'm hoping it works but there is zero info about this laptop and Virtual Reality.

bberry110 likes this.
  10. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Updated Fusion to V4.2.2 and keyboard firmware to 1.1.9 but this did not resolve the above mentioned keyboard issues.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017