*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Read earlier in thread, I've made many posts about this.

2. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks, @respectthecheck. Some possibilities there! I do hope it is a simple software problem... I did try a ubuntu live 'cd' on a USB stick to see what lspci output is. However, it freezes whenever I type lspci -vv! Don't really want to try a windows downgrade but maybe I can try a different Linux distribution. Not sure what would be the most bleeding edge to try on a USB stick boot.

respectthecheck likes this.
  3. e1evenz1n

e1evenz1n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ordered an aero 15 from hidevolution and patiently waiting for it now. Meanwhile can anyone figure out how gigabyte got 10hrs on the aero15? Since that's what gigabyte "advertises" on the aero 15 page. o_O

4. Sycraft

Sycraft Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Very, very light usage could do that. Particularly if you shut off WiFi. It is on the very outer bounds of what is possible, but you could do it. If you turned off WiFi, turned down the screen and left it sit on a desktop you'd probably see it, in a situation like that you'll see Windows predict battery life in that range.

It is a marketing number though meaning technically true but inflated to look good. Realistically count on 6-8 hours on a full charge. You should see in that range using WiFi and playing on the web, watching videos (so long as the player uses the SIP acceleration and not software) and so on. I see that and I have some of the power savings stuff turned off.

5. e1evenz1n

e1evenz1n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see, I was wondering if that time was achievable while actually using the laptop. Think it's possible to get 10hrs on low brightness using ms office?

@RobonHood any update on your backlight bleed screen? You're making me really paranoid, thinking I should have shelled out the extra 100$ for hidevolution's backlight bleed offer.

Also do you guys know if replacing the ram and ssd voids the warranty in the US?

6. airat.shafikov

airat.shafikov Newbie

Reputations:
    Just received green UK version. It seem to have NVME drive installed which is good.

Noticed a couple of hw issues. First is very minor, webcam lens seems s bit misaligned relatively to the hole in the laptop chassis. Thankfully that doesn't influence the image, video corners are not cut.
    [​IMG]
    Second issue is a bit more noticeable - its a relatively large white spot near the left bottom edge of the screen. It seems to be a common issue due to thin bezel-less design?
    [​IMG]

Also there is a software issue with Fn+Esc button, which supposed to enable-disable "maximum fan" mode. I noticed that if you run in silent mode (fans off) and double press Fn+Esc (enable and disable max-fan mode) the fans will continue to operate at 30% at low temperatures, instead of switching off. This then can be fixed only by switching modes in SmartManager, for example after silent->gaming->silent fans are off again.
    Is there a way to program some button to cycle through different fan modes?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  7. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can anyone compare the noise levels of the fans at gaming load with that of the Aero 14?
    Thanks!

8. theypsilon

theypsilon Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried to restore the aero 15 with an USB Stick created with the Smart USB Backup utility? Right now what I'm getting when selecting that boot option on F12 menu is absolutelly nothing, the F12 menu pops back again, and trying different options in BIOS regarding USB devices doesn't help me at all so far. Also, because I installed the Creators Update (I guess that's the reason from what I researched), can't restore the laptop from the Recovery partition.

9. RobonHood

RobonHood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I've come to the finished conclusion with both GenTech and my current Gigabyte Aero 15. Needless to say it isn't how I think things should've been handled and I recommend anyone stay away from GenTech if you feel like your device may have issues as they do not want to do anything to rectify their mistakes.

Anyways here's my email from Friday to GenTech after I was sent pictures and explanations as to how "back-lights work". It will be labelled in the blue/red of my last post.

8-4-17:

Ken,

Here's the issue, this is not normal never was normal and if you talk to literally anyone else they will tell you the same. It seems as though you want to do everything in your power to not rectify the problem here. Frankly it's quite ridiculous, and if you do not want to repair or swap me out for a new device with less Bleed, then I'm going to have to ask for a return.

This is a defective product through and through, and while I'm willing to work with you all in getting it sorted, you're putting me into a corner on what I can do.

Get back to me ASAP I would appreciate it,

RobonHood

Now to be fair I'm being an overt dick about this as in my opinion I've had my problem treated as though I'm a child/elderly who has no idea what I'm talking about so his response is also "dickish". But at the same point it's his job to rectify issues and it seems as though that's the last thing GenTech wants to do.

Here's his reply from yesterday morning:

8/5/17

RobonHood,

No it's not defective period and yes, you can return it within the return period no problem. You are welcome to return the product even it's non-defective.

Here is your return number to send it in for refund:

GenTech PC
    Attn: RMA 197135 (Non-Defective return)
    1420 E. Cypress St
    Covina, CA 91724

Again, it's not defective period, if you like to see your screen at a complete dark room with a complete black screen seeing how LED backlight shoots up and thinking it's defective that's fine with me.

Ken

This reply alone solidifies my resolve not to work with them ever again, I get that you probably get customers complaining about bleed a lot in the custom laptop industry. I've also been abrasive in regards to getting this fixed as well, but this right here is by far the worst customer service I've ever seen/experienced in my 6 years of hospitality/service work. And it's a shame really, but it appears that once you spend your money with them it no longer matters what issues you have, it isn't their problem.

Long story short and sorry for hijacking your post man, I expect your display to be fine with minimal bleed. I have no experience with HID but they seem to be a quality outfit and if a problem arises they'll take care of it. Just avoid GenTech if you are buying these devices.
    With that said I'll be returning my device and going with another distributer that hopefully will honor their warranties and expectations.

10. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Backlight bleed should be treated as defect IMO. There are custom laptop brands out there that offer "no or less blb" as an premium option for money, since some people dislike it and the other that get the worse screens, don't care or know.

But how that GenTech guy reacts isn't very nice. When a customer has an issue with such an expensive device, then you should offer some form of help that isn't just "fine with me".