*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. RobonHood

RobonHood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright well let's see if new thunderbolt drivers fix this have you done and reinstall of windows yet? If not that's fine I'm just curious.

Either way here is the link for the current Gigabyte provided driver and here is the next closest link i could find to the intel driver as of 6/16/17 I've never used driver station but just scan it before you install. Just make sure once you uninstall the driver to restart in between then try and install the current ones.

Let me know if that helps, I'm still arguing with Gentech in regards to whether or not my backlight bleed isn't a "normal" condition.

Good luck!

2. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is nothing to do with TB3 drivers. Hwinfo64 is showing the very basic PCIe port setup on the Aero 15 - this shows that either electrically or due to BIOS, the PCIe root port is PCIe 2.0 x4. I do have latest Aero 15 BIOS and chipset drivers, (and TB3 ones), though.

Is there any sort of Linux boot image I could use that would also show things like PCIe root device type? Would allow confirmation outside of Windows 10 anyway.

scrod likes this.
  3. Morningkill

Morningkill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great !
    Can you confirm that for example Ctrl Left Alt D, Ctrl Left Alt Z, Ctrl Left Alt S, Ctrl Left Alt W works ?
    These combos are important for my workflow :), and I really want this laptop...

4. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would make it essentially similar to the XPS15 PCIE3.0 x2 setup. If so, probably enough to support an external gaming monitor at modest frame rates without major throttling. Probably not enough bandwidth to use an external GPU to drive the built in display, though. Maybe not a big drawback with a GTX1060 onboard for the 1080p panel. Still disappointing, more so if a 4k panel ever appears.

5. Morningkill

Morningkill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm a bit surprised : it's clearly written on Gigabyte website :
    " the AERO 15 is able to achieve the height of data transfer speeds, transmitting data of up to 40Gbps. Besides speed, the port is able to connect to an external display running at 4K"

6. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would not have bought it if I knew of this limitation, and if they knew of it they should be honest in their advertising. At least Dell has a page with info on their models: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/qna44089/thunderbolt-3-40gbps-data-transfer-rate?lang=end The actual product page still says 40 bidirectional but at the same time admits 2 lanes.

PCIe 2.0 is even sillier, though, so I hope it's just a BIOS mess up.

scrod likes this.
  7. RobonHood

RobonHood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So it appears that my backlight bleed is "normal" and a everyday functioning issue with my device. Below I will copy and paste directly my emails with GenTech's Ken in regards to this issue. It just seems like they don't want to have anything to do with replacing a defective product. I received my laptop on Thursday July the 27th, installed windows again on my 960 evo and used the device over the weekend whereas I found the screen issue. Monday I consulted my friend in regards to this and this is how I led to here and sending the email out to Gentech on Tuesday.

So here goes from the beginning I'll be in blue and GenTech will be in red for reference:

Sent Tuesday August 1st, 11:10AM

Good Morning,

Hope you all are having a pleasant week I've had my laptop for a few days now and have enjoyed it greatly but I've ran into what in my eyes is a major issue. After consulting a few extra friends just in case I was crazy, my laptop has some verifiable back-light bleed on both bottom edges. This is even noticeable in broad daylight at full brightness on as well. I'm attaching a link where I posted the pictures I'd taken in a completely dark room of the laptop. Of note I have done a complete reinstall of the system and all system drivers with Windows 10 LTSB 1607 and it's currently unverified (playing with KMS server stuff at home) but I do not think this would effect back-light functionality.

If you all could get back to me at your earliest I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    RobonHood

Reply was received from GenTech's Ken on Wednesday the 2nd and is as follows:

RobonHood,

Glad you received the laptop.

The backlight bleed on LED LCD screens are completely normal. That's where the LED backlight coming from.

On LED panels, the black still uses backlight to produce black and even more noticeable if you turned off the lights in your room.

The only panel that doesn't have this issues is OLED panel that black doesn't need backlight to lit up.

(He attached the AorusX3 pic and the Asus Pic below)

Continuing I replied that day with:

Afternoon Ken,

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate you trying to explain how back light bleed works. I am quite familiar with the concept, and come to expect small amounts as a normal everyday expectation.

What I cannot accept is the fact the nearly the entirety of my display bleeds, especially in the bottom corners to the point where it is noticeable in daylight in both games and daily work applications. That's my problem here, its not that it has bleed but that the bleed is terrible and definitely not within the realm of "normal".

I originally requested that to have the display checked just in case and even stated if I had to I would pay extra for the service but that seems to have not caught this issue. I just want the problem recitified and if that means I have to return the device for a new one than so be it because again..this is unacceptable on a device that's costing me $2200.

Please get back to me asap, I would seriously appreciate it as this is bothering me consistently since receiving the device.

Thank You,
    RobonHood

Now I will say I was rather gruff but I feel as though I've had my issue shoved to the side like it's a non-issue item when that isn't the case.

His reply later that day:

RobonHood,

This is wide-angle view panels that's why.

Let me open another unit and take a picture for you to see.

That was the last message I received from him that day in regards to this, knock it up to business being hectic not really a big deal but the time is ticking on my return policy to GenTech so it is kind of frustrating.

Anyways I reply this afternoon August the 3rd after not receiving anything with this:

Morning Ken,

Since you haven't gotten back to me yet I figured I'd send you a reply, I'm sure you're occupied.

But I am aware how an IPS display work and its 178 degree viewing angles can create the "ips glow" issue you are trying to allude to. The problem is that this isn't IPS glow, I've already shared this with others to verify that I'm not just seeing things.

This screen is in my eyes defective and needs to be replaced, and if you all don't want to do that then I would like to return this device for a refund as its frankly unacceptable. I could go to any other distributer and they would understand my problem and this would be replaced asap. Instead you want to argue with me and state I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you could get back to me ASAP about fixing this problem before GenTech's "14 Day Return Policy" is expired I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    RobonHood

Starting to get sassy I know it but I swear this problem has been eating at me slowly day by day.

His reply this evening consists of 3 emails listed here:

1st Email:

RobonHood,

Every unit here are pretty much the same. If you are looking at in a very dark room there is no LED panels has no bleed at all.

The light just shows where is the LED strips coming from, it shoots upwards.

Here is the one I took and and that's how bright LED panels looks like, because they are bright LED screens, again, this is completely normal on all brands. Again, Black uses LED to produce Black and it's not an issue, it's the way technology is:

Aero 15:(He attached the Aero 15W pic)

And here is another customer who bought a Asus thought his screen is defective just because he sees the backlight in the dark:

(Followed by reattaching the Asus Pic from the day before)

2nd Email:

And this is Sager:

(attached Sager pic)

3rd Email:

RobonHood,

I also made a simulation just to show how it looks like where the LED backlight at the bottom shoots up towards the screen, what you see is just the LED light and it can't be avoid.

(attached backlight simulation picture)

And that so far is my communications in regards to this issue, it's ridiculous to me that I'm being told that everything is fine and dandy when it clearly isn't and its unacceptable. I don't know how to pursue further in getting this done except possibly returning the device for a refund because it appears that my defect isn't considered a defect to this company. Quite frankly this frustrates me to no end as I really do love the device but seem to have gotten a bad egg.

Let me know your thoughts I would greatly appreciate some input in regards to this, also I attached a new photo of the display from my girlfriends S7 Edge just in case my phone (HTC One M9) photo wasn't good enough.

Attached Files:

8. ryajso

ryajso Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mate, you could summon Batman with that amount of bleed, stand ground and persist on repair because they don't like to send out replacements.

CedricFP likes this.
  9. disclaimernotice

disclaimernotice Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So has anyone here tried using an external GPU setup on the aero 15? Is the thunderbolt 3 truly not as advertised?

I was gonna get one but if this is the case I might look for a different laptop

10. respectthecheck

respectthecheck Newbie

Reputations:
    Here's a possible scenario, the lastest Thunderbolt drivers on Gigabyte's support page for the Aero 15 is version 16.2.55.275. This is also the latest version that intel themselves is pushing. But actually, there's a later version as seen by the second link in @RobonHood 's post which was version 16.3.61.275. Intel on their site explains that they temporarily downgraded from the 16.3 version back to the 16.2 version because it was flawed.

The change log for 16.3 was

If you are running that update of Windows 10, maybe it's just a matter of going back to an older version temporarily. Also the 16.2 drivers predate the announcement and release of both the Aero 15 and the Omen Accelerator if that matters. Hopefully this is the culprit and not something more permanent. I'm looking to pick up an Aero 15 myself over the XPS 15 almost exclusively for the reason that the XPS 15 had the annoying 2 lanes situation. Hopefully things work out for you!

Denjin likes this.