*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I updated the Gigabyte Smart Manager software to the latest version, based on a tip earlier in this thread, and that has fixed my battery life. Last night I redid my test, 480p video at 50% screen brightness. I got 8 hours, 41 minutes before the battery went critical. :) So the Aero 15 indeed has very good battery life.
    Most of the cooling air seems to go under the display hinge when the display is open. However, a good portion also goes up the display lid. Play some games on it and you'll see. I don't think the cooling will work very well with the lid closed. I guess you'll have to try it.
    A laptop cooler is a good idea. I measured 134 degrees F on the bottom with an IR thermometer while gaming ...

Charles

2. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck's review found the Aero 15 pretty similar to the XPS15 and GS63VR for the power consumption measurements, but the Blade had lower consumption all around. At complete idle, the XPS15 had 30% longer battery life, but the two were basically the same for WiFi and Load battery life tests. Hexus showed power consumption essentially the same for Aero 15 and Blade, but then showed Blade had much better battery life. Hardwarezone Singapore showed numbers almost unbelievably in favor of the Aero 15 over even the Blade.

I have a hunch these tests vary considerably based on modifications and software. For example, maybe they threw in a Samsung PCIE SSD with an older bios that was known for higher power draw? Or a less experienced or forgetful reviewer doesn't realize that some new USB3 or TB accessory can draw substantial current from the port. Or maybe they don't realize some "updated" app or background thing is driving up the CPU or GPU while their test is going. For example, PCWorld's review showed the Aero 15 with over an hour more battery life than XPS15 on a 4K video playback test. So the question is why such a large battery fails to perform well, but only for some owners and reviewers? I think software/BIOS is the most likely culprit, and it's not always the old version that is at fault. Sometimes a newer version improved for bug fixes or some feature ends up having an unintentional or even intentional side-effect, like more power consumption. If it was the display or common hardware sucking juice, everyone would notice. It could also be other custom added or multiple USB hardware sucking extra juice, or perhaps a batch of defective batteries were not getting anywhere near the rated energy spec. Someone with low battery life will isolate it eventually, hopefully it will help others improve theirs as well.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  3. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm thinking I read somewhere that Smart Manager installs a rogue background application that improves the functionality of the Optimus GPU switching at the expense of power consumption. I wonder if that is one of the issues plaguing some owners?

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think you're right. Based on what I can tell, the Nvidia GPU was always in use with the old version of Smart Manager.

Charles

hmscott likes this.
  5. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There is an option somewhere in either the Intel or Nvidia video settings, that causes a windows tray icon to display when the discrete GPU is powered up. I've found this handy both when I wanted to be sure it wasn't on (battery life) and when I wanted it on (powered video playback where I wanted madVR to be able to use the GPU.)

Sorry I don't have my unit in front of me so I can't describe exactly where the setting is.

6. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't know about the Aero 15, but this was definitely the case for the Aero 14 until a more recent update to Smart Manager which disabled the use of "emptyproject11.exe" (which kept the dGPU on all the time).
    Agreed, it definitely helps, especially when I unplug a display and it shows me which apps haven't stopped using the dGPU.
    It's located under the "Desktop" drop-down list in the Nvidia Control Panel.

scrod likes this.
  7. zxcvzxcvzxcv

zxcvzxcvzxcv Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a way to invert the Function Keys? I would prefer the default behavior to be the special actions(change volume, airplane mode, etc...). I know pressing the Fn key allows the special actions, but it is less convenient.

8. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    Usually an option in the BIOS settings, but I've not looked for our Aeros

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any experience with the RGB fusion software? In particular how to get the keyboard layout profiles to automatically switch when you change applications or even assign a hotkey? There's no guide or help at all for this and can't seem to get it working as I'd imagine it to. Quite frustrating.

10. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome glad they fixed it. Now I just gotta find a good place to get it from

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.