*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Aerfally

Aerfally Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got a unit from Amazon...it came with fingerprints all over the screen, a dead battery, and scuffed rubber 'feet'. But the anti-tamper 'void' sticker on the box was not broken!

Gigabyte/Amazon shipping used/refurbished units as new? Anyone else have this experience? Just really surprised to see this from Amazon on a $2k laptop.

2. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

3. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Easy to return with amazon. But if you got one with a good display and no other issues it might be worth keeping. Sounds odd though, was the paperwork and other stuff all sealed?

4. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm crossing fingers that the 4K version comes with the keyboard all fixed. Might be wishful thinking but a good opportunity to fix one of the most common gripes on this machine.

5. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just wondering if any Aero 15 owners could answer this for me. Why is the battery life less than the Razer blade? Shouldn't it be more with it's larger 94W battery? How long does it last watching downloaded movies? Thanks, Cheers!

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    FYI I updated the firmware for the keyboard via the Gigabyte Fusion app, and that has fixed all my keyboard shortcut problems.
    I'm also not seeing very good battery life. I watched a 480p video on the Aero 15 with 50% display brightness, and the battery was down to 5 percent after 4 hours. Given the 94 watt-hour battery, that just doesn't make sense, the runtime should be much longer. I even had the keyboard backlighting turned off. I ran my test multiple times with the same settings I test all my laptops.

Charles

7. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey there! Just chat with them, and tell them this, they will either offer you a refund/replacement or a 10% discount on the 2k laptop!

8. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick response! That's so weird. I still want this laptop, but hesitate on the purchase because the battery life estimates are all around. Do you have the latest bios?

9. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There was is an review in a german magazine. They compared different thin 15" laptops and the Aero 15 has the worst idle energy consumption. 9,7W in idle, twice as much as the XPS 15. Thag explains the mediocre battery life.

10. Denjin

Denjin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got my Aero 15 yesterday and it's a solid machine! Very impressed. Uninstalled most of the software that was on it, but the amount of bloat ware wasn't too bad in my opinion.

Just four questions:
    1. I have a device with an ! In device manager "Unknown USB Device (Link in Compliance Mode)". Any ideas what this is and how to fix? I've done all the udpates
    2. Anyone tried with with TB3 eGPU? I have a spare GTX 1080 and a 3440x1440 monitor I'd like to game on some. I can get the new HP one here in the UK.
    3. Does this need a laptop cooler at all? I am talking about a closed-lid scenario on a desk when using external monitor and gaming. I have something that keeps it off the desk about 10cm, anyway, which will help with airflow.
    4. Is there anything I should check about the display? It seems fine and I don't have any dead or stuck pixels.
    I wish it was solid metal, but it is still very sturdy. My other 'gripe' is the keyboard - I personally wish it had no number keys on the far right. As a touch typist, it's annoying keeping my hands off centre. I mainly play MMOs and the 1060 seems to handle them all fine maxed out on the internal display. I have had to occasionally go into nVidia control panel and tell it to always use the 1060 for some games, though, for whatever reason.