*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone got the per key RGB lighting to switch automatically between applications? I've had no luck doing so even after choose the .exe to activate the profile. The fusion software is counter intuitive.

2. ouail

ouail Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, everyone

I'll be getting my aero 15 tomorrow , and would like to know if anyone has tried installing ubuntu on the second SSD , and if it did work out ?
    Thank you !

3. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Follow the backlinks to older postings and you'll find the instructions to install these drivers.

However, I agree that there's a lot of good information hidden in this (currently) 71 pages long thread but who's going to read through all of them? Is there an AERO 15 related Wiki or similar page to collate all the good ideas and tutorials in one place?

4. Ellius

Ellius Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys! Happy new owner of new Aero 15 here. A quick, albeit perhaps interesting question about power and the 1060 in the laptop.

I have noticed that similarly and even in respect less power hungry config equipped Razer Blade 14 2017 (7700HQ, 1060, only 1 NVME slot, smaller screen, no LED light at the back etc.) has 165W power brick (similarly to MSI GE62VR 6RF with even 180W) while both Aero 14, 15 have only 150W. My question are:
    1. Does this hinder GPU performance? Because lets face it, it will be power limited (that's what I get most of the time in Afterburner) and thus achieve lower boost?
    2. If so, would connecting higher W brick solve this? Or is the power delivery just not there/or its limited in BIOS somehow?
    3. If so (#1), would running CPU at lower speed allow more power to GPU?
    Thanks a lot for your answers! :)

hmscott likes this.
  5. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's only a 10% difference. It could be the Gigabyte power adapter is more efficient. You'd need to look at the label on the power supply to compare the output DC voltage and current on the different bricks depending if they are rated for input or output power. It could also be that Aero 15 itself consumes slightly less power overall. The difference in the panel could easily account for that. Even in the unlikely event that Gigabyte underpowered the adapter and you were actually 15W short on power, the battery could make up for that for at least 6 hours, assuming you were playing at full CPU/GPU power for 6 hours straight and not allowing it to recharge at all. Incidentally, the 1060 mobile GPU itself is limited to 75-80W at maximum power draw, but could be further limited in any individual notebook. The CPU is 45W max. Pretty unlikely that both would be used at 100% for more than a few hours straight, but if you do use it like that, and the result is not enough juice from the adapter, you should be able to observe your battery charge dropping even when plugged in.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Ellius likes this.
  6. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If your worry is that the Aero 15's GPU is being powered below its sweet spot and that you are therefore not getting the 1060 level performance you paid for, that's not something I've seen in any review or benchmark. Meaning, this is not something you need to spend any time worrying about other than for the enthusiast's enjoyment of tweaking their system to get the most from it.

Even in that case, are you sure your usage is going to power limited vs. temp limited? Keep in mind the components we're talking about and the size and thus cooling capacity of the Aero 15.

My "look at the forest" gut reaction is that it's unlikely there's any reasonable upside to be had for buying a new adapter, carrying it's presumably bigger bulk, and subjecting your system to a different input power than it was designed and tested for. Even if that power could be and was used optimally, it's still extra heat and it's related fan noise and possible system longevity issues. And if there was, the extra power would benefit you only in games that couldn't already hit a stable 60 fps on the Aero's 1080p display - but my sense is most games already can.

As to #3, all the comments I've seen here suggest that under-volting is a no lose proposition on its own merits. It won't necessary make your GPU any faster but lower temps are better than higher temps.

7. niverion

niverion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmm.. does this notebook worth buying ? im thinking to get p950 but since there hard to be found in my country.
    im thinking to get aero 15, does this stuff throttle badly ? and does the screen worth the price?

im thinking either aero 15 or GL502vm but since gl502vm are quite old model and gl503 coming this august probably.
    or maybe zenbook pro ux550 ?

main usage = rendering and cading. probably some gaming such as overwatchies, darksouls and dota2.

8. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the Zenbook 550 has full 4x PCIE Thunderbolt 3, it would pair nicely with an eGPU like the Gigabyte 1070 box. I'm not sure I'd wait for it, though, the Zenbooks seem to take notoroiously long to appear at retailers and some of them haven't been all that well-liked among reviewers. It does look awesome on paper, depending how much they want for it.

9. niverion

niverion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like they gonna launch it at august in malaysia.

https://www.digitalnewsasia.com/per...ysia-first-country-get-its-new-zenbook-models

And coffeelake also ryzen mobile cpu seems coming hot. ( I dont really hv anyidea about cores and stuffs. I just know that seems like ryzen perform better for multi thread works ? Such as rendering and stuffs ). And what i know that coffee lake release date looks like to be august or september. And we might see it on notebook by end of the year.

Im not really sure how much improvement will it have compare to kaby lake. Since im on my way searching for it hahahaha.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

10. Ellius

Ellius Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer guys! My worry is not at default state of the GPU - for that thing the 150W (or whatever limit is on this particular chip in this laptop) is fine. You boos to around 14-1500, sometimes more. Given the good cooling solution I tinkered with OC. If you put +200MHz on core like I did with other 1060s you start to hit 1900-2000MHz. E.g. here MSI GT62VR with 1060 and 225MHz offset hovering right there between 1900-2000. What I get is 1650-1750 generals and a message from afterburner that I'm hitting power limit. So I was trying to figure out if thats because of the brick, or the design. But seems like a design thing :(. Shame, it could have handled a bit more juice :). Also, I should add that I like to play with tech - so that's why this interested me - beyond practicality of it.