*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's a perfect way of doing it. I figured it was a process like that. It makes good sense.

And, for those that don't know me very well, this post was sarcasm.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Donald@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  2. Pyroness

Pyroness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been laptop hunting for the past week and I keep finding myself returning to this laptop. It just seems to fit what I'm wanting and needing very well. I was wondering if anyone that's had the laptop for some time now has noticed any new problems starting to occur or noticed any new quirks? I've seen the complaints about light bleeding, shortcuts not working on the keyboard, and the hinge being a bit loose. I've also seen on the Gigabyte forum that they've apparently given up trying to fix the keyboard and now they're telling customers that they need to use custom bindings to work around the issue. I'm not sure how true that is though. I really hope that's not the case.

3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Battery life is the only real reason to get this model, with all of its quirks including a fairly inferior screen. Everything else would point to the EVOC P950HP6....much better screen, thinner, lighter, better keyboard...etc.

Menace2021 likes this.
  4. Pyroness

Pyroness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've checked out clevo's before since they come with some high praise and have an overwhelming amount of customization, but I tended to be turned off to them because of the lack of widespread information, the overwhelming amount of customization, and I would often see them advertised with 2 hours of battery life. After reading the forum on here about that clevo though, it seems to hit a lot of the marks for me. Sturdy build, decent keyboard, and it can get around 4 hours of battery life without undervolting. Those are very important for me since I'm wanting a laptop that I can bring to university every day, can last through a full 3 hour lab, and can replace my very outdated desktop. The previous conversation on here answering questions about many of the customization options helped clear things up for me. I'll do some more research about this clevo to see if it's for me. Would you mind if I email you with any questions that I may have in the future?

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Donald@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Please feel free to email me at Donald@HIDevolution.com or call me Toll Free at 1-888-666-3418 Extension 44 between 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM Pacific Time Monday through Friday to discuss any questions you might have.

6. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To be fair that 0.5 pound difference is probably all battery - EVOC 4.2 pounds with 55 wh battery, Aero 4.7 pounds with 97 wh battery. That's a not insignificant battery life difference.

I wanted to check the relative sizes of the other two dimensions too but couldn't find them for the EVOC. The EVOC display bezels appear fairly thick on all 4 sides - I'm not sure if that means it's wider and deeper, or the display is smaller? On the plus side that may mean the EVOC camera is located on top, which if so would be an improvement on the Aero's nose-cam bottom mount.

Like Donald I have not been blown away by the Aero 15 display, which somehow seemed to get unusually high praise in some of its initial reviews. I've still been wondering if I just have different preferences - nice to know I'm not the only one / not making it up.

Edit for better research: EVOC size 380mm (W) x 249mm (D) x 18.5mm (H) vs Aero 356 x 250 x 19. So one is 0.5mm shorter and 1mm less deep, and the other is 24mm narrower. That gives the Aero 15 less overall volume even with its much bigger battery, but whichever size would feel more convenient to carry for any one person is probably a matter of taste? And yes confirmed on better camera placement for EVOC. If I were doing a serious comparison, I'd probably also want to try to get fan noise information for both but not sure how to reliably get that apples to apples.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  7. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's a decent enough display; pretty typical of an average IPS display in this class, but nothing special.

Yeah, I think early reviewers like Newegg were clueless and thought that just because it had narrow bezels like the XPS15, it must be using the same, bright, colorful IGZO 1080p display as the entry level XPS15. Oops. Other major publications got all excited by the X-rite Pantone certification and assumed that an automated out-of-the box calibration also meant that the display otherwise was best-in-class. Oops. You can calibrate an average display to make the colors look truer and white balance more natural, but that doesn't change any of the technical limitations of the panel. I wonder if the review samples came with marketing stuff that influenced some of those reviews?

8. Donald@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    The screen is not IPS. It is the Chimei N156HCA-EA1 AAS screen, which is why it is a bit mediocre when compared to an LG IPS, AUO AHVA or Samsung PLS screen.

I wonder if the 'fluff' came from the manufacturer review samples (very doubtful actually), or the 'fluff' was in the reviewer's brain, influenced maybe by the size of the Gigabyte advertising budget.

brucek2 likes this.
  9. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I know, it's WVA, but seems pretty similar to average IPS displays in terms of brightness, viewing angles, color and such. Pretty comparable to the one in the Razer Blade and the IPS version of the GS63VR that I have seen, but neither of those was noted to be a standout display, either.

10. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think some review samples actually were IGZO panels, or they were told that the shipping production units would be. See for example Dave2D's YouTube review and the New Egg launch video, each stating it was the "same panel as XPS 9560." But there were also forum discussions at the time trying to make the case that the Chimei might be better for gaming with its faster response time, etc.

I hadn't thought about this in a while but it is making me curious again how this happened. At the time some speculated panel lottery, but I think there've been no reports since then of any consumers having received the IGZO?