*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    No one meant it to offend;)
    You like livin' on the edge. You're welcome, LOL
    [​IMG]

brucek2, Spartan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Menace2021

Menace2021 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First time poster, long-time lurker. Been actively researching a laptop for my personal needs for a few months now, but I've always fallen back on the Gigabyte Aero 15. The Clevo P950HP6 has a smaller battery, even though it's cheaper. The reason being is that I'm a gamer, but I also need long battery life when not gaming because my graduate class lectures will be very long so I need my laptop to last me throughout the day. The GTX 1060 is perfect for my 1080p gaming needs. I don't play demanding games, but the 1060 will serve me well.

Looking to buy this from HIDevolution because I read great things about their support. Can anyone give me any tips? I know I'm supposed to contact someone for a discount? Donald? or was that Phoenix?

Couple questions I had concerning the customization options as seen here: http://www.hidevolution.com/gigabyte-aero-15w-bk4-1060.html

I'm guessing there is no point to professionally calibrate the Aero 15 since it's Pantone certified?

Is the "Minimize LED Backlight Bleed" worth it? I've read that people here have had light bleed on their Aero 15 monitors.

Display Warranty? What's the best option for that?

Thermal Paste? Is the Liquid Ultra metal + IC diamond combo worth it for lowering temps if I can afford it?

Is the 1 stick of 16 GB ram good or bad because it's not dual channel memory?

Is the stock 512 GB SATA SSD in the Aero 15 good enough? I keep reading about the raving reviews of the NVME drives people have, but wondering if it's even worth it?

Is there a difference between Intel and Killer network? I heard bad things about Killer.

Clean Windows install for Aero 15 or not? Isn't the software that Gigabyte provides good or bad?

Does undervolting benefit the Aero 15?

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I agree. No need for it. I don't personally know of anyone other than @Johnksss@iBUYPOWER that does more overclocking and neither of us use it or Furmark. (I'm confident there are others that do it more than we do, but I don't know those people.) I don't have Prime95 and haven't used it in years. That went out with Arctic Silver thermal paste and 3DMark06. There are lots of other tools that are better and will give you a more accurate read on what to expect without cooking your laptop in the process.
    If it's not stable with Cinebench, it won't be stable. Cinebench R11.5 and R15 are what I use, and 3DMark 11 physics test. If those pass without crashing you're good to go. As far as temps go, you'll find out immediately... like less than one minute... if they are good enough or if you need to take action to improve the thermals. Using Prime95 for an extended run is just a waste of time and unnecessary stress on parts.

Same applies to Furmark. Using a Furmark burn-in test is a great way to destroy a GPU you don't want any more. It certainly can do that. Using a continuous loop of Fire Strike, 3DMark 11 graphics tests or Heaven benchmark will show you right away if the GPU overclock is stable and the temps are good, and those won't cook your parts to death.

No worries. We only replied because we care about members of our community and their computers and don't want to see any bad stuff happen. Some of the popular advice I have seen in other forums can have a tragic ending.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been curious about that kind of cherry-picking service too. I don't mean to overly focus on this specific option or this specific vendor, because I've seen similar offers from other vendors too. But by way of example here's how this one is described:

"Choose this option to have our staff pick the top 20% of panels available for your model line that exhibit less backlight bleed. The panel we choose for you will exhibit less backlight bleed than 4 out of 5 panels of the same model line."

The part I easily understand is that there's a market of people who would appreciate the option to pay a little more to get the quality, reliability, or other attribute they want. That part sounds good.

What I don't get is how the implied converse "If you do not pay this fee you will be guaranteed to get one of the previously passed over bottom 80% of panels" is acceptable to anyone else. (It'd work if the non-picked models could be RMA'd as defective; or if there was a sizable market that is guaranteed to just not care (i.e., large numbers of CPUs sold through non-enthusiast channels will never ever be overclocked); or if there was a discount so that a market could be made of willing buyers/sellers; but who wants a monitor with extra backlight bleed at the same cost as one that might be better?)

hmscott, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It could mean that, but one would hope the panels they are using for cherry picking are off the shelf panels and they are not pulling panels off of other new machines and putting the bad ones on the models they are planning to stiff another person with. To do it right they should not be tearing apart a fleet of inventory and playing musical display panels. That would not be a good approach at all for a business offering that cherry picking service for an extra fee. My guess is they would have access to the parts and not be robbing Peter to pay Paul using other inventory as donor systems for those that pay extra. If that were the case it would be dangerous and stupid to buy a notebook from that vendor, as you would almost be guaranteed to get an inferior panel if you din't pony up the extra caah.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  6. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I certainly agree there's no reason they'd ever switch the panel out of one new laptop and put it in a different new laptop. They'd just cherry pick the laptop with the good panel as a whole (unless maybe multiple cherry pick options were in play and mix-and-match was needed to satisfy them all at once?)

But as to "not robbing Peter", what other option is there? Whatever pool of parts a retailer may cherry pick from is ultimately a pool of parts that is destined for customers one way or another. There can be no good panel for Paul without a Peter to take it from.

(As I said above, the categories where it could work is where the passed over parts could be returned to the manufacturer as defective, before the customer ever had to deal with it themselves. That's a service I'd pay for.)

hmscott likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Answers in bold blue text, so click to expand. Hope the info helps.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  8. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Let me try to clarify.

For a while, a while back, a few people were insisting on getting perfect IPS/AHVA/PLS screens with absolutely no back light bleed. "Get in a totally dark room, put a black background on the screen, and do not ship if there is any back light bleed." Unfortunately these screens (not so much with TN screens, but some of them have it too) have a propensity to have some back light bleed, and we get what we get from the manufacturer. No manufacturer in the world will guarantee that all, or even any, of their screens would pass that test. After all...who does that?? Just try it with any IPS/AHVA/PLS TV, Monitor or laptop screen you have...you might be in for a surprise. Of course you probably never noticed it because...well, who does that?

Bottom line is, the manufacturers know this is a characteristic of these otherwise wonderful screens, and there is no way they are going to throw out 90+% of them and only ship the "good" ones. Imagine what the price would be if they did that!

The truth is, most people don't see it in normal use, and really don't care. This is the majority. Then there are those that do care and want as little back light bleed as possible.

Given these truths, we established our back light bleed policy. When we get a shipment of say 100 pieces, we inspect them all, and we do send some back that are just terrible, and wouldn't meet anyone's standards. Of the remainder, we tag the best 20% and reserve them for those who want to pay $100 to get the top 20% cherry-picked screens.

The 'discount' for the remainder is they don't pay the $100. Discounting beyond that just doesn't make sense.

I hope this helps.

SkidrowSKT, Pyroness, Arondel and 4 others like this.
  9. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the thorough explanation Donald. The mechanics are what I expected then. Good for you for working towards a solution for those customers who wanted their displays a certain way and didn't have a good way to get it other than repeated orders and returns, an approach that's good for no one.

Personally I'm surprised that it doesn't scare away more of the other 4 out of 5. For me I'd either have paid the $100 or silently decided to shop elsewhere, but that's all hypothetical anyway because at the time I bought there was no choice of US retailer. But no objections from me for informed buyers and sellers making their own decisions and coming to the best agreements they can.

(btw I agree most people don't care about a completely black screen; but I'd expect more than 20% of the buyers of this type machine watch videos or play games that include dark scenes, at which point bleed goes from being an artificial test to being a real video quality loss. Of course most individual consumers won't have seen enough units to know the range of variation that's in play which makes it hard to know what's really at stake.)

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  10. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    My answers are also in blue bold text, so click to expand.

Please feel free to email me at Donald@HIDevolution.com or email me your phone number and I can call you between 5:00 PM and 2:00 AM GMT - Monday through Friday - to discuss any other questions you might have.