*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Why waste your laptop screen? Playing with your game stretched across 2, or even 3 screens gives you more peripheral vision...you will not only hear them coming, but also see them coming. You can shoot them if you see them...they can shoot you if you can only hear them.

2. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's a keyboard function that turns off the laptop screen you can use that once you've configured the external screen and set it as a primary display. Look along the F row it's there. Might have to use it in conjunction with the Fn key.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is the aero 15 screen semi-gloss? I'm just judging by the handful of youtube videos out there. I have used the xps 15 and did not like the thick matte coating. Also did not like the matte coating on the gigabyte p57.

4. clabern

clabern Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So - I purchased my Aero 15 from Newegg via Open Box. Got it about 2 weeks ago and everything looked great. I opened the bottom (super easy) and threw in a nvme drive (came with SATA standard) and have only been playing with it here and there since then. Today I turned the key backlighting off while at work and realized that the Fn key is shorting out the LEDs in F9, 9, O, L, comma, and RAlt. You can just barely touch the Left-Fn key and the LEDs on those other keys will turn on (as RED color). Here's a video of it happening...

Do you guys think I should try going through Newegg (still under 30 days return) or try my luck with Gigabyte? I'm nervous about Newegg and getting another Open Box since everything else on this one is wonderful, but I know Gigabyte's support is blah.

5. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been able to turn off my built-in display using the Windows desktop right click option for display settings. That worked fine for regular use but when I tried to start a game I got an error about DirectX not being able to start because the desktop was locked. So I went back to extended mode. By the way Steam has a "big picture" mode which can include automatically switching the primary monitor to the 2nd monitor for gaming.

My undervolt so far is -140.5. It's worked fine for the level of stress I subject my laptop to, which is less than say a full night of Prime 95. It works for the Fire Strike stress test.

6. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    A full night of Prime95?? You should never use Prime95 at all, much less for a full night. If you must use it, 10 minutes max!

7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @brucek2

You people fail to understand that Prime95 or Furmark does not represent a real usage scenario of a normal or even power user. It stresses the CPU or the GPU for long periods of time constantly at max cores/threads/load. No one does that to his machine! No one buys a sports car and keeps it at redline 24/7, he mashes the throttle when he needs to and cruises when he doesn't.

Someone buying a computer and using Prime95 or Furmark is just asking for his components to be fried. A proper stress test would be AIDA64 Extreme for 5-15 mins to get the max CPU temps followed by Cinebench R15 and a few Fire Strike Runs and maybe a 30 minute game session in a demanding game. Heck, even wPrime doesn't do such bad damage such as Furmark or Prime95

j00 have been warned my well scrubbed friend. Do whatever you please with your hardware: [​IMG] [​IMG]

@Papusan

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Best Stress test you can find, is your daily workflow. Supplied with mentioned tools!! Stupidity, if you compare... Mean desktops better cooling is equal to what you find in notebooks!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey sorry for the uproar - the intent of my post was to say "I did not test at the highest possible stress and am not implying that I expect my personal undervolt (which is slightly more aggressive than several others I've seen posted) to work for any conceivable workload."

As we all seem to agree is reasonable, I tested at workloads meant to resemble my actual use, with the understanding that I may encounter more stressful workloads in the future and that my undervolt may fail in those cases.

scrod, Vistar Shook, hmscott and 4 others like this.
  10. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe @brucek2 was saying that he didn't do P95 overnight to stress his laptop :p Small FFT is particularly egregious as it simulates a power load that just cannot be attained in normal CPU-stress usage.

Edit: Ha, beaten!

@silverwolf0 The screen is matte, not glossy or semi-glossy as far as I can tell. Is there a giveaway for 'semi glossy'? I'm not sure what exactly that is.