*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. bernieyee

bernieyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone have temperatures of the laptop after running Unigine Valley for 10 minutes? Regular, undervolted, TurboBoost, etc.

Thanks.

2. chickenroll

chickenroll Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I wanted ask If there is a solution for intial lag when using touchpad with precision drivers. From what I was able to google out, It seems to be problem with deadzone values which I don't know where to find in regedit. It's very annoying trying to hit close button (or adjust any slider in adobe programs) whilst touchpad moves by 1cm after the initial delayed touch. Delay also appears while scrolling.

Thanks

3. rocket scientist

rocket scientist Newbie

Reputations:
    hello too everyone,
    im coming from mac. some question regarding this laptop.
    is there any way to tweak the touchpad, (i used the lenovo driver, as suggested by one of the member here) the gestures are better, but the precision still horrible, it seems like theres some kind of acceleration stuff happening, whenever i try to navigate on smaller movement (few millimeters) it keeps accelerating and just generaly awful & hard to make some kind of precision navigation. the scrolling & zooming is also bad and not smooth, for me this trackpad is almost unusable that i have to resort to mouse.

the question is, is there any way to tweak the touchpad to be able to perfom better?

4. rocket scientist

rocket scientist Newbie

Reputations:
    and one more question, what do you guys think about the wi-fi/bluetooth on this laptop?
    mine seem very problematic.
    i used 19.40.0.3 wireless driver and 19.60.0.3 blueetooth driver on windows 10 creators update.

the wi-fi signal is really bad i cant even connect to the router (13-15m away) where on my mac, its working absolutely fine. (even on my ****ty 2010-era asus laptop is fine)

and the bluetooth, every once in a while, there seem to be some problem with it, when i connect it to my bluetooth speaker and watching movies/music, sometimes theres a few miliseconds of lag/no sound (kinda like lost connection or stuff) i put the speaker next to the laptop.

is my laptop/wi-fi card defect? or just some driver issue?

5. rocket scientist

rocket scientist Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again everyone,

I'm writing down the review of Gigabyte Aero-15 just because.

A little bit background info:
    2 weeks of usage, medium-high usage of Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Autodesk Maya, video rendering and some casual gaming.

PROS:
    1. surprisingly good build quality materials. very solid, sturdy & firm. Premium look, doesn't look like plastic at all. (I was very skeptical before with the "plastic laptop" build)

2. high performance laptop yet maintaining the professional look, a very rare trait. you could bring this laptop to the professional/work environment without being judged of having a poor taste (unlike some other high performance laptop with gaudy "gaming" aspect, where your boss will start questioning your professionalism, or maturity level)

3. it's very thin, light and compact yet very powerful. i7-7700 + GTX 1060

4. bezel-less screen is awesome. The screen quality itself is ok, nothing outstanding, just good enough. The viewing angle & colors gamut are acceptable. The matte screen is surprisingly good. the response time is ok I guess... I'm a filthy casual.

5. the battery life is outstanding.

6. although some people might consider the "per-key backlit keyboard" is just a gimmick, I personally find that very useful to highlights and color assigned some keys and shortcuts, I use a lot of programs and sometimes it's quite difficult to remember all the important shortcuts.

7. "all-programmable macro keys" is a good addition, although I haven't really tried that yet, the Gigabyte Fusion's keyboard firmware is still buggy.

8. RAM is upgradeable to 32GB (unlike some other brands) maybe not such a big deal for gaming, but for content creator, especially for Adobe After Effect user, it's a really nice addition.

9. 2 NVMe slots !!! (again, unlike some other brands)

10. Thunderbolt 3 !!!

11. so far the temperature & fan noise is acceptable, something that you'd expect from high performance laptop this thin.

12. 2-years warranty. just for the peace of mind.

CONS:
    1. hinges is kinda weak & wobbly. it's not firm enough that if you shake your laptop (say, inside a backpack) the lid is not going to stay closed and will wobble around and open.

2. the trackpad is rather disappointing. it's just bad.

3. keyboard driver/firmware is still a huge mess. I use a lot of Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere and Maya shortcuts, and some combinations (Rctrl+Rshit+Ralt+W) still not registered. It's quite frustrating.

4. the webcam positioning, it's a chin-cam. a compromise that you have to make from the bezel-less screen. I could pass that, don't care that much.

5. some people might have a problem with the screen bleeds at the bottom part of the screen. it's quite noticeable on low-light with dark background.

6. the materials are fingerprint magnet. you need to clean it up every once in a while.

7. Gigabyte Smart Manager UI is.. what can i say... distasteful. (coming from mac user here) it reminding me of some cheap 90's era VCD-player menu on interstate bus TV set.

8. expensive.

CONCLUSION:
    if you're looking for a slim 14"-15" high performance laptop where you could easily carry around or to bring it to professional/work environment. and you have the money for it. this is a good choice.

the other alternative is Razer Blade 14" if you wanna gamble around with their QC & CS, or a Macbook Pro.

6. polmone

polmone Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello to all,
    I just bought this laptop in Italy.
    Unfortunately I found out that it has an HD Sata3 instead of an NVMe PCIe.
    If I open my laptop and replace HD I will invalidate my warranty?
    TNX

7. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No, you won't in Europe. But it is not necessary, a Sata3 SSD is fast enough for all needs.

polmone likes this.
  8. polmone

polmone Newbie

Reputations:
    I think so too, but I got this laptop also watching online reviews, and the HD benckmarks were always very fast, always above 1700/2000 mb/s, my HD stops as per Transcend specification at 530 mb/s
    https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-644
    I thought everyone had hd NVMe ... It's frustrating

9. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    But it doesn't matter for everyday live.

10. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got my Aero 15 back from Gigabyte warranty service yesterday. They replaced the motherboard. The unit broke and I contacted support on June 5, I received my RMA number and shipped it to them on June 7, and I received it back on July 5. That's 30 days out of service after 32 days of ownership. I was required to make my own shipping arrangements (which took 3 tries - first two places I went wouldn't take it because of the battery) and to pay for the shipping to them ($80 from Hawaii with insurance.) My time to make it through the support gauntlet, fill out paperwork, and handle the shipping was probably 4-5 hours which if viewed as lost billable time is a significant expense. Most emotionally frustrating is that the laptop was not available for a long trip which was a big factor in making the purchase - without it I probably would have waited for the next one, giving me a newer selection of models to choose from.

As a consumer, I don't know what to make of this. I don't think this is a reasonable ownership experience but then again the handful of manufacturers I know with guaranteed better service times aren't selling any laptops with the same balance of power and portability. And if they were, the price for those service levels can be non-trivial. All models from all manufacturers have a non-zero defect rate, and it's possible I was just the unlucky one this time. There's no hard data source I'm aware of where an individual consumer can get good information on the actual defect rates of individual laptops nor the average time to receive repairs. Reviews generally don't mention service at all and if they do it's usually a paragraph of generalities at most. So what's the smart consumer to do?

scrod, Vistar Shook and getpaiddd like this.