*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You move have to turn it on in the video settings

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. hammer84

hammer84 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you point me to the where that is? I cant find it. Sorry so dense

3. KEEGANP218

KEEGANP218 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks, got my Aero 15 today, unsure on whether I like it. Got a couple of questions:

1. Is the screenbleed bad in the attached image?
    [​IMG] here

2. In the second image: I got this annoying blurb/cluster that's on the display, and I have no idea why. It's only visible on a white background and is highly annoying. Worth returning over?
    [​IMG] here

3. The price was quite a bit high, and I feel bad over it. I can afford it, but feel I wont get the most out of it's performance. If I return my machine, what's a good and cheaper alternative?
    Same battery or better, less performance, etc.

Thank you!

4. Knacki

Knacki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Uhh, always hard to judge by a picture.
    The blue stripe in middle and yellow on bottom is nothing I would accept. Is it really there, or camera given?
    There is a bit bleeding around the bezel, visually much less visible than by a camera taken picture.
    Less than what I see in your case.

Me, if I am not under time pressure, and I would feel bad, I would return.
    But I can't recommand anything similar in this price class.
    For me the razor blade was an alternative, but much more expensive, no second SSD, no real network plug - so no real alternative for me.

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Asus GL502VS 1070 is only $1699 and performs near enough to the new Asus Zephyrus Max-Q 1080 and runs way cooler to the touch than the Zephyrus.

The Asus GL502VS 1070 might not be as thin as the Zephyrus or Aorus, but it's thin enough, and $1000 cheaper than the Zephyrus. :)
    The Asus Zephyrus Max-Q 1080 costs $2700. The Asus GL502VS 1070 with similar performance results, running much cooler, costs $1700, for $1000 savings, for the same slim carry class laptop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=asu...CigB&biw=960&bih=496#spd=13649257256404370106
    Laptop temperature measurements GL502VS vs Zephyrus.jpg

6. Knacki

Knacki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @hmscott
    Same battery life?
    Haven't seen any GTX1070 supporting Optimus and therefore long battery life. That would be a good info!

@hammer84
    check out Smartmanager and monitor switch. should be easiest. FN+F5
    Second a restart with plugged monitor can give a quick result.
    And of course windows or and nvidia Settings, if this is still not working. Better people with English windows help in this case.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There's a good reason why you won't find high end gaming laptops with Optimus, Optimus sucks :)

If you want a high end laptop, 1060 and above, don't saddle it with Optimus, it'll mess you up if not immediately, then as you try to do things throughout ownership.

I could go for pages on the people I've helped stuck with Optimus trying to work around it so they can do their work or run their game or make it work with VR, it's just so sad because with Optimus it's a physical locked in thing that's wired the dGPU through the Intel iGPU, and the iGPU directly to the display. You can't get rid of Optimus if your laptop has it.

Thin build and long battery life isn't a compatible gaming laptop profile.

The hardware for one isn't like the hardware of the other.

If you want a long battery life laptop then you want to go there all the way, to get the 8-14 hour run times. A ULV CPU, and no discrete GPU.

If you want a powerful dGPU laptop, then let it connect directly to the display and be in complete control of it, then everything you want to do will work, with no iGPU or Optimus muckery to mess you up.

Even a MUX sucks because you aren't going to extend battery life of a high end quad core CPU and the support hardware of a powerful laptop. Mine gives me 2.75hrs battery instead of 2.25hrs, 30 whole minutes.

Carry 2 or more devices, don't try to marry a race horse with a guppy. ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    steberg likes this.
  8. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Crossposting from the monitor overclocking thread:

hmscott likes this.
  9. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi there!

If you believe the Aero 15 is too powerful and expensive for your needs there are other options in the "thin 'n' light" category. Some of them are:

- Clevo P950HP6. i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060. From $1384.

- Dell XPS 9560. i5-7300HQ/i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050. From $1199.

- Asus UX550 ZenBook Pro. i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050/GTX 1050 Ti. Coming in August?

Hope this helps to give an idea of what is out there! :)

hmscott likes this.
  10. KEEGANP218

KEEGANP218 Newbie

Reputations:
    The Zenbook Pro UX550 is pretty much exactly what I want/need and I had considered it, but I wanted to at least try the Aero 15 as I'd had my eye on it ever since it had come out.. I hope the UX550 comes out soon!

The Aero 15 is a very good laptop if you can afford it, but I think the UX550 is a bit more balanced for university/my needs.

hmscott likes this.